advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Start up disk not starting up on all computers... why?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 13, 2018 08:13PM
I have a portable El Cap startup disk that seems to work OK on a C2D MBP, the 6 core Mac Pro 5,1 (haven't tried on 12 core), recently on BIL/SIL's C2D iMac, but now is not showing up as an available startup disk on i7 MBP. I'm pretty sure it used to work on this MBP (back when Baby Buzz was in college), but after not using it on this MBP in a couple of years, it's not working anymore. Drive shows up on desktop, and all content can be accessed, it's just not usable as a startup drive.

Any ideas on how to jump start it back into action?
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Start up disk not starting up on all computers... why?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2018 08:19PM
How new is the i7 MBP and what version of El Crap?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 13, 2018 08:32PM
Late 2011 MBP tweaked to run SL, but after hooking up add'l Mavs portable drive, MBP sees El Cap drive on restart via option key, and sees it as viable startup disk when booted from Mavs, just not when only add'l drive when booted in SL. SCSI voodoo again? All those recent classic Mac threads must be having an affect on the MBP. Is it an SL thing? IIRC, all we did was swap in an earlier video driver to make SL play nice. It doesn't seem to have any other issues, so why would merely adding the Mavs drive to the food change suddenly make the El Cap drive show up on start up?
==
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 13, 2018 08:37PM
How do you define "not usable".

Does it show up as a choice in the Startup Disk preference
Does it show up as a choice if you boot with the option key down?
Does it attempt to boot using either of the two methods and fail. If so how does it fail? Have you tried a Safe Boot?

And "i7 MBP" isn't very helpful, that could be anything from 2011 to 2018.

Do other drives running 10.11 boot on this computer? Is it an issue with this drive/install, or and issue with this OS version on this computer? Do you have a Flash drive installer for 10.11 and can it boot on this computer?

And lastly, have you tried resetting PRAM?
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 13, 2018 08:40PM
Buzz
Late 2011 MBP tweaked to run SL, but after hooking up add'l Mavs portable drive, MBP sees El Cap drive on restart via option key, and sees it as viable startup disk when booted from Mavs, just not when only add'l drive when booted in SL. SCSI voodoo again? All those recent classic Mac threads must be having an affect on the MBP. Is it an SL thing? IIRC, all we did was swap in an earlier video driver to make SL play nice. It doesn't seem to have any other issues, so why would merely adding the Mavs drive to the food change suddenly make the El Cap drive show up on start up?
==

The Snow Leopard Startup DIsk preference doesn't recognize some newer OS boot drives. It will recognize 10.7, but not sure how far past that. Use the Option Key.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 13, 2018 09:23PM
GGD
Buzz
==

The Snow Leopard Startup DIsk preference doesn't recognize some newer OS boot drives. It will recognize 10.7, but not sure how far past that. Use the Option Key.

This. Snow Leopard’s Startup Disk panel shows drives with system versions through Mavericks. For anything later, you have to switch to that OS from Snow Leopard using the option-startup.
Date: February 13, 2018 10:26PM
I sorta understand, but when the El Cap drive is the only drive attached when booting from SL, in addition to not showing as a boot drive in Sys Prefs, it doesn't show up when restarting and holding down the option key. Add a later OS drive to the chain, and all is golden with the option key. What I don't understand is why the option key isn't/doesn't work(ing) when the El Cap drive is flying solo after running SL from the internal drive? I don't recall what happened w/ the C2D machines when SL was the main internal boot drive for them... both now have Mavs internally so it's not an issue anymore.

Ideas until I upgrade the MBP to Mavs or El Cap internally? It currently has a 240GB SSD running SL, and I plan to put a larger SSD w/ the newer OS on it into the MBP, hopefully before the NBA Finals.
Thanks.
==
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 13, 2018 10:29PM
first world problems
Date: February 14, 2018 06:38AM
I wonder if perhaps the Mavericks OS recognizes attached bootable externals faster? Or if the SSD has something to do with it. Now that you mention this, I recall seeing a slightly different problem with startup disk recognition after installing Sierra on my 2012 MBP. When booted from an external running an earlier OS (Mavs or Yosemite), the internal Sierra SSD did not show up in the startup disk preference. It was only accessible by restarting with the option key pressed. On my Mac Pro, which has no SSDs installed, this problem never occurs. I posted a question about this difference in behavior in Apple Discussions and got only one response, from someone who did not have anything useful to offer.
Date: February 14, 2018 10:56AM
kj-
It's as if the OS toggles something in PRAM, and SL toggles it to not recognize past Mavs. Then somehow by adding a Mavs drive into the chain, it is allowed to look for later OS's? It is just very odd (to me, anyway), that the option key has no affect when restarting from SL w/ only a later (than Mavs) OS drive attached externally. What I haven't tried yet, is starting up from the Mavs drive as the only external drive, shutting down, then swapping the Mavs drive for the El Cap drive... and then seeing if it recognizes El Cap w/ the option key after the last boot was from Mavs? Theoretically at that point the PRAM should be being controlled from the prior Mavs boot? It's the option-key thing that causes the flummoxing of the usually more astute Mac spidey-senses. Inquiring first-world minds want to know. If there is possibly a SSD component to the equation, too, that really throws the Mac spidey-sense thing into a flat spin from the jet wash...

==
Date: February 14, 2018 01:46PM
I found it so odd that my Mac Pro's various Startup Disk prefs can always see the Sierra drive, except if I'm using Snow Leopard (which is known behavior), and my MacBook Pro can't see the Sierra internal, no matter what the external drive is running. It's not a core Storage thing. I don't have any Core Storage volumes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 01:47PM by ka jowct.
Date: February 14, 2018 03:19PM
Clearly we're back to SCSI voodoo again... dang it.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015