advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Smokers stink
Posted by: hal
Date: February 14, 2018 03:35PM
I never realized how bad the stink was while I was a smoker. It's not the smoke - I actually still like a faint whiff of cigarette smoke, it's the residue left behind. When it accumulates, it's nasty.

I buy used computers, build them up and resell them. Smokey smelling computers isn't much of a problem. But MAN, you sure can tell the moment you break the seal on the box.

I just blow the dust out of the fan and then run them hard for a while. The smell dissipates pretty quickly. If it's really bad, I might clean the surfaces inside or the blase of the fan (VERY rare).

But I've got a puzzler here... a power cable from a mac mini.

It stinks! I sprayed it down and wiped it off. Still stinks... I put it outside to rest in the sun for a few days and get lots of fresh, circulating air. Still stinks.

I just hung it and sprayed HEAVILY with stinky window cleaner. Hours later, the ammonia smell is gone, but the smoke smell is still there.

I might have to throw this one away. Yuck!

I'm convinced that if I really knew that smell BEFORE I started smoking, I never would have started.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Smokers stink
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 14, 2018 03:54PM
You can lead a horse to water...
==
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 14, 2018 04:07PM
Try wiping with vodka on a cloth or moist baking soda
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 14, 2018 04:13PM
Better off drinking it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 14, 2018 04:17PM
.....the really bad smokers......it is like Pig Pen....you choke on the smell....glad I never started smokin'.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 14, 2018 04:19PM
Its gets everywhere. And goes for hundreds of feet.

People driving down the street blowing out the car window while Im in my car. Cant even enjoy my car with the window down. Or walking.

Blech.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jims
Date: February 14, 2018 05:11PM
I was a corporate pilot and in the early 80's when most people still smoked, our instruments would fail quite often. When the instrument shop would tear them down and let me look inside them the gyros bearings would be gunked up with the tar and nicotine. Very expensive to fix. I quit smoking in 82. Best thing I ever did.
jims
Date: February 14, 2018 05:12PM
samintx
Try wiping with vodka on a cloth or moist baking soda

moistened baking soda might work - my first attempt was with 91% alcohol - that USUALLY does it.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 14, 2018 05:19PM
I love the smell of secondhand smoke except when eating and even then it's only mildly annoying. Both parents smoked when I was growing up, both quit later. It's a damn good thing I knew not to try cigarettes even once as I'd probably have been hooked first time.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 14, 2018 05:40PM
hal
I might have to throw this one away. Yuck!

I'm convinced that if I really knew that smell BEFORE I started smoking, I never would have started.

At work, we've thrown out working Macs that belonged to chain smokers. Not only so gunked up inside as to be a fire hazard and nothing you'd want to touch even with thick gloves on, but the stench from cracking one open or leaving one running and heating up can be bad enough to force an evacuation of the building.

The last tenants in my apartment liked to smoke in a corner of the kitchen. For the first few months after I moved in, the gunk from the smoke-residue kept seeping through the fresh paint and turned the white walls into a speckled gray that carried a horrible stench like something rotting in a bath of tar and nicotine. After it was repainted 3 times and the gunk continued to seep, my landlord finally replaced that whole section of drywall.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 14, 2018 05:45PM
.......sometimes......so does life......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: February 14, 2018 05:52PM
The worst is when you get a hotel room that somebody has smoked in. Even worse, inconsiderate smokers deliberately get non-smoking hotel rooms because they don't like the smell either then they go ahead and ruin that room. I've encountered plenty of smokey "non-smoking" rooms and I once overheard a conversation between a couple of smokers talking about doing this exact thing.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 14, 2018 06:20PM
When I'm elected Governor, I'll have one amnesty day a month where it's OK to *deactivate* any active smoker in any public place, so long as the *deactivation* is videotaped. The tobacco companies shall be responsible for all monetary damages. If that's not effective enough, we can try twice a month, then weekly...
==
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 14, 2018 07:28PM
I rented out a house I owed for a couple of years and when I took it back, there were drips of nicotine on the walls. Took some doing to wash it all off. Carpets were another story.

My current house is across the street from a funeral home and I am on constant patrol picking up butts.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 14, 2018 07:59PM
I tend to smell a lot more pot being smoked nowadays than tobacco.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 14, 2018 09:11PM
Sigh. It took 2 coats of KILZ to paint over my in laws house. I honestly thought the walls were beige. They were not.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 14, 2018 09:24PM
If you are willing to pay to keep trying: borax, hydrogen peroxide, or oxiclean.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 14, 2018 09:47PM
I would have said try some spray for deodorizing pet accidents but I'm not sure if it would have any effect on cigarette smoke residue.

For years I have wondered why anyone under the age of about 60 would ever start smoking. It's so vile and disgusting, and in the last few decades I can't see how anyone could think it was "cool" or "sophisticated."

Recently, another thought occurred to me. Why did we as a species start smoking? Why, going back millennia, would anyone think it was a good idea to purposely inhale smoke?

Date: February 14, 2018 09:52PM
AllGold
Why did we as a species start smoking? Why, going back millennia, would anyone think it was a good idea to purposely inhale smoke?

how on earth did beer/wine start? Some guy found a clay pot of fruit that had been rotting and fermenting and collecting rain water for months and decided to drink the slop down??? How did that seem like a good idea?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 14, 2018 10:25PM
AllGold
Recently, another thought occurred to me. Why did we as a species start smoking? Why, going back millennia, would anyone think it was a good idea to purposely inhale smoke?

Because before we knew anything about the dangers of smoking, all we knew is that tobacco smoke provided a mild but pleasant buzz. Not to mention that people probably smoked less frequently back in the day because tobacco companies had not yet instituted the practice of adding additive substances to cigarette tobacco.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 14, 2018 10:34PM
Yeah, I can beat all of these stories. Once I had a rental car where the previous occupier was both a heavy smoker and had managed to spill a large hazelnut coffee....! I had to drive that thing with my head outfof the window lest I barf.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 14, 2018 11:05PM
AllGold

One of the common sayings in Indian country is that when our ancestors first gave tobacco to the European invaders, they knew it was going to kill them, they just didn’t think it would take this long.

It's a fairly old habit:
[nativeamericannetroots.net]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rz
Date: February 15, 2018 08:20AM
We bought a condo once where the previous owner had been a cigar smoker. You can only imagine what the air handler looked like when we replaced it.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 15, 2018 10:11AM
I bet roaches on the ground from pot smokers would disintegrate much faster than filters from cigs.

And that's assuming that pot smokers are using papers; many use pipes, vape, etc. Not to mention edibles.

Tobacco chewers need somewhere to spit; they don't ingest it. Sadly.

---
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 15, 2018 12:26PM
I recently got stuck standing next to a heavy smoker on a crowded bus. All of his clothing reeked of that stale ashtray odor. Like he had slept in one.

I used to have a client near 8th Ave. a couple of blocks down from Penn Station and MSG. Coming from the subway, I usually had to try to dodge clouds of second hand smoke. It was the worst area I have encountered for ubiquitous smoke.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: February 15, 2018 01:18PM
back when i still indulged, i had a girlfriend who, when i leaned in for a kiss, would say, "let's just skip that part."
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 15, 2018 01:42PM
have an older relative who used to reek (brand smoked seemed especially stinky)

but they've now (finally) stopped

went over to their house last well to pick up their old, sick cats (for one final trip to the vet) and noticed how much better everything smelled.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 17, 2018 11:25AM
I had one client in a home health situation that sat and smoked in his trailer home all day and night, with all the awesomeness (brown goo dripping down the walls, etc.) and I could not keep a care giver for more than a few weeks. Even smokers. I ended up doing most of the care and I would stink even after a shower. I did it for several years, going through caregivers and taking up the slack myself, and at the end got in trouble for not providing all the hours he was eligible for. All of that because he was a smoker (there were other issues, but we could have dealt with them). Seriously stupid azz habit. It shouldn't even exist.

Slightly on topic, I replaced the power supply in his computer, and it was full of pet hair that served as a lattice for the tobacco juices. I swear it had turned into a pulsating organism that was gasping for breath. Never seen anything like it before or since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020