advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drive swap SSD Conversion for iMac 21.5 Mid 2010
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 18, 2018 10:33AM
Well, my 3rd internal hard drive failed on this workhorse so I am finally moving to a new 27" iMac. I still want to use the 21.5" iMac to run older programs and to have for the wife to use for whatever she wants but I don't want to install another hard drive. I plan to move the 1.5 TB of data to my new computer so I figured I could get buy with a 250GB SSD from our sponsors.

My problem; How do I get the new SSD setup with the applications and OS from the failed hard drive (Sierra) but without all the data since there is no way I can do a complete restore of 1.5TB of data. The main data hogs are my iTunes library (movies and music) and all my mini dv tapes that I digitized.

My only idea that I think would work would be to buy another large hard drive (2TB min) and do a complete restore from TM, then remove all the unneeded data so it will fit on the SSD. Then do a new backup and restore to the SSD.

Any other ideas?

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drive swap SSD Conversion for iMac 21.5 Mid 2010
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 18, 2018 11:50AM
So the dead drive is still accessible?

And how were you planning on restoring? from a TM backup? or CCC backup?

Depending on the method, you can exclude some things, including iTunes.

Are you planning on installing the SSD internally? You will prob need a temp sensor kit. Love OWC, but their SSDs are bit on the $ side (they seem to be out of their budget Neptune drives) 240 GB SSDs are $70ish.

Like this sandisk: [www.amazon.com]

If all of your iTunes arent on a backup drive already, maybe now is a great time to get backup drive.

4TB portable is $100: [www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 18, 2018 12:03PM
The starting point is a Time Machine Backup contains all 1.5TB of data on a 3TB mirrored RAID so I am good with backups. Internal drive is dead. Looking at the 3G 250GB kit from OWC for $140 that includes everything I need. Hopefully that will help so I can find a solution to my restore questions.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 19, 2018 01:47PM
When I restored from my Superduper! clone, Apple's Migration Assistant let me decide what to move over and what not to. I assume that will work for TM, too.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018