advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Applebees restaurants getting thrown out of Applebees....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 21, 2018 08:34AM
[fortune.com]
"The casual dining chain’s parent company Dine Brands Global (DIN, +16.06%) said on Tuesday it would close as many as 80 Applebee’s restaurants this year on top of the nearly 100 it shuttered last year, while opening between 10 and 15 as it looks to improve the restaurant’s fortunes. In 2017, U.S. comparable same-restaurant sales fell 5.3% at Applebee’s, and also slipped at sister chain, the pancake-focused IHOP, where they declined 1.9% last year. The company also announced on Tuesday it was changing its corporate name from Dine Equity."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Applebees restaurants getting thrown out of Applebees....
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 21, 2018 09:04AM
So the unlimited margaritas didn't help?

EDIT: $1 "Dollaritas".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 12:14PM by mikebw.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 21, 2018 10:07AM
Interesting. The IHOP's and Applebee's around me are always busy-

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 21, 2018 10:10AM
.....same here at least with iHOP......always a line......a lot of Applebee's closings here though.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 21, 2018 10:19AM
Their shop count is getting a small as their portions.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 21, 2018 10:22AM
There is an Applebees in town, busy only some days and times of the week. I found their food not worth the price, and the menu selections mediocre.

As for IHOP, the closest one is about 40 miles away. The last time I was in one was a couple decades ago, and the quality of food and service had declined so much by then I have not been all that interested in going back to one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 10:23AM by JoeH.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 21, 2018 10:27AM
We've eaten at Applebees a few times. It was food.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 21, 2018 10:29AM
To me, it feels like food quality has gone up a fair amount in the last 20 years, and stuff like Applebees just doesn't cut it anymore. For starters, no one wants that much grease.

This line strikes me as odd. True, but odd, "to improve the restaurant’s fortunes".

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: February 21, 2018 10:53AM
M A V I C

This line strikes me as odd. True, but odd, "to improve the restaurant’s fortunes".

Imagine thousands of crazy shareholders wanting gains.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 21, 2018 10:58AM
IHOP pancakes could always bounce if you dropped them.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 21, 2018 11:06AM
Back when our Applebees opened, I tried it two times.
The first time the food was repulsive and the service was adequate. The second, the food was barely adequate, and the service was pathetic.

I haven’t bothered to give them another chance to disappoint me. Too many other options in the same class of food.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 21, 2018 11:15AM
I've pretty much tried them all.
Applebees, IHOP, TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's, Cracker Barrel, Outback Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs... Haven't tried Denny's yet for some reason.

Applebees is pretty low on my list.
Date: February 21, 2018 11:17AM
....so they aren't....the bees....knees......??

Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 21, 2018 11:25AM
3d
Applebees, IHOP, TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's, Cracker Barrel, Outback Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs... Haven't tried Denny's yet for some reason.

IMO, even Denny's is above Applebees, but both are at the bottom.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 21, 2018 11:27AM
Give me a greasy spoon hole in the wall place with a big sign out front that says "EAT" any day! The food will probably be superior to any of the chain places listed above.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 21, 2018 11:31AM
Paul F.
The first time the food was repulsive and the service was adequate. The second, the food was barely adequate, and the service was pathetic.

I haven’t bothered to give them another chance to disappoint me. Too many other options in the same class of food.

Seems that way with a lot of "chains" these days?

We dont eat out much, but went to an "On the border" a couple of weeks ago. Dead on a Friday night about 8 pm, and we waited a good 10 minutes before anyone saw us. Took our order, but we kept waiting and waiting, so we just left.

Went to chevys last night, not unbusy and its in an offbeat location. waiter was fine, food was blech. We got a large guac, didnt realize it was the "table" made version. 1.5 avacados, some lime, salsa, etc -- $12? Kid wanted 2 basic chicken and cheese tacos. He assumed she wanted it as a "plate" with rice and beans, which she didnt. $15. Had to send hers back the first time. They bought an extra totally wrong salad. Wife and I meals were, meh. No doggie bag. $70 with tip for 3 peeps. No drinks. I about had a fit. Daughter told me later they were only $12.99 on the menu. She was right. But even so, 2 wimpy ass tacos with spoon full of beans and rice should not be $13.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 21, 2018 11:33AM
....dining out is down overall, so companies that own them are not happy....

Posted by: tronnei
Date: February 21, 2018 11:44AM
3d

Washington Post food critic's review of the top 10 (ranked by sales) chain restaurants makes for interesting reading:

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: richorlin
Date: February 21, 2018 12:02PM
I don't mind Cheesecake Factory, but only if I can sit outside on the patio. I can't hear myself think when sitting inside. It's only food, not an experience, but at least it is consistant. It's like stamping out widgets. item "A" is ALWAYS the same no matter who prepares it. The kitchen uses an SOP for every dish with a checklist.
Many grades above CF is Brio Tuscan Grill. They're next door to my local CF and I would rather go there rather than CF. Both are dependable and reasonable for what you get: factory food.

On the other hand, when we feel flush and don't mind spending almost $100 a couple, we go to a local, family-owned trattoria that is as close to being in Tuscany as you can get without having to fly there. Their food is supurb and on Fridays and Saturday nights there is at least a 45minute wait unless you have a reservation.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 12:04PM by richorlin.
Date: February 21, 2018 12:05PM
tronnei
3d

Washington Post food critic's review of the top 10 (ranked by sales) chain restaurants makes for interesting reading:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Need to sign-in to read thumbs down
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 21, 2018 12:12PM
Hard to beat a 'locally owner eatery', especially the ones where cops regularly dine.
Add Denny's and Boston Mkt. to 3d's list and you have a good avoid like ebola places. barf smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 21, 2018 12:17PM
Not here. I just read the whole story without signing in, and it was well done. I especially liked the pics.

3d
tronnei
3d

[www.washingtonpost.com]

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: rexs
Date: February 21, 2018 12:21PM

3d

"You don't ever plan to go to Denny's. You just end up there."
Date: February 21, 2018 12:23PM
Rick-o
Not here. I just read the whole story without signing in, and it was well done. I especially liked the pics.

3d
tronnei
3d

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Weird. I get this pop-up.
Date: February 21, 2018 12:27PM
3d
Rick-o

3d
tronnei
3d

[www.washingtonpost.com]

You may have reached your limit for "free" articles. That includes without ads, an ad-blocker can cause that to kick in. I did not get that the first time I opened the link to read the article, but did the second time. Try using the Reader View, that got around the block for me the second time. Or you can clear the cookies for the Washington Post site.
Date: February 21, 2018 12:35PM
MrNoBody
Hard to beat a 'locally owner eatery', especially the ones where cops regularly dine.
Add Denny's and Boston Mkt. to 3d's list and you have a good avoid like ebola places. barf smiley

No need to eatery shame. LOL I'm sure we all eat at locally owned eateries as well. Even ones frequented by cops. It just doesn't translate well to an internet forum because no one will know what the heck you're talking about when you recommend Janice's Sunrise Diner on 5th St by the old Sport's Authority.

It's easy to poo-poo places. So I'll buck the trend. Baja Fresh (tray service) is up there in my personal list. Love it!
Date: February 21, 2018 12:49PM
3d
Rick-o

3d
tronnei
3d

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Yeah, get that undismissable pop-up here too adblocker on or off not that I'd want to read anything on that un-American site anyway.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: blooz
Date: February 21, 2018 01:17PM
I enjoyed a meal at Chipotle a couple weeks ago and didn't get food
poisoning.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 21, 2018 01:18PM
billb
Yeah, get that undismissable pop-up here too adblocker on or off not that I'd want to read anything on that un-American site anyway.

You can wait until March 1 when your 'ten free articles a month' resets.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 21, 2018 01:31PM
Speedy
billb

It might have something to do with that link in tronnei's post. I did a google search for: "top ten chain restaurants washington post" and got in that way.

Interestingly the Washington Post rates Denny's as #2 behind only Cracker Barrel. I'm intrigued... patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 01:35PM by 3d.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 21, 2018 01:47PM
The food in their TV ads looks awful. I don't know if there are any here, but if there are, they can vanish this instant with my blessing. Along with IHOP and Friday's and DQ and every other crap food chain.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 21, 2018 02:13PM
Rick-o
Give me a greasy spoon hole in the wall place with a big sign out front that says "EAT" any day! The food will probably be superior to any of the chain places listed above.
Especially if the local cops are out there eating. Cops know where all the good places are to have a meal.
Date: February 21, 2018 02:20PM
Speedy
billb

I can wait a LOT longer than that.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 21, 2018 03:37PM
Applebee's is basically expensive TV dinners. Last I went there all of their food was prepared in a central commissary and shipped prepackaged to the restaurant. Hold the peppers? Can't do that. Sauce on the side? Can't do that. My diet is restricted enough I won't go to a restaurant that cannot tailor their meals to my wants and needs.
Date: February 21, 2018 03:38PM
....but some have single nights.......

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 21, 2018 03:58PM
With my restaurant background, of course we avoid chains as much as possible. That said, we do go to assorted chains once in awhile. Applebee's in my town was mediocre when it opened. Then after a year or two, 99 Restaurant moved in nice and close. I have to admit, I was surprised, this particular Applebees really upped their game, due to the competition. Yes, the menu is what it is, however, the service level improved greatly. Faster greet, order taking, and delivery of food. Presentation also improved, it was obvious they were worried about the competition, and kudos the manager and team for stepping up and improving.

It still is a chain, and I still frequent local Mom and Pops as much as possible.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 21, 2018 04:35PM
DinerDave
With my restaurant background, of course we avoid chains as much as possible. That said, we do go to assorted chains once in awhile. Applebee's in my town was mediocre when it opened. Then after a year or two, 99 Restaurant moved in nice and close. I have to admit, I was surprised, this particular Applebees really upped their game, due to the competition. Yes, the menu is what it is, however, the service level improved greatly. Faster greet, order taking, and delivery of food. Presentation also improved, it was obvious they were worried about the competition, and kudos the manager and team for stepping up and improving.

It still is a chain, and I still frequent local Mom and Pops as much as possible.

Dave

I used to love chains. I grew up where we didn't have them, so going to them was a treat. But now, man, it's horrible driving across the country and every town is the same.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: February 21, 2018 04:50PM
DinerDave

Dave

That's pretty much what happened here too. Add in a refurbishment of the intrerior.
They're still not at the top of my list of places to frequent.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 21, 2018 06:43PM
what M A V I C said.

food quality at most chains hasn't improved from 30 years ago.

and consumers today want more for their money.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 21, 2018 09:27PM
There was an Applebees, near where my brother worked many years ago, that was actually pretty good. So that was the standard we held them to, as it was our first Applebees experience, but after a few failures at other locations we bailed. As DD says, add some competition, or some other reason to do good, and some of the chain gang can do good. It's frustrating when some outlets perform, and others don't... you get spoiled by a good one, and go to another and are disappointed.

My mother moved into an assisted living facility that ended up next door to a Chili's that was unusually good. It was down the street from a boutique mall that has a high end food court, so there is some competition which I'm sure helps. I forget what was there before, but it closed a few months after my mother moved in, and Chili's was up and running in what seemed like record time. There oughta be an app, or a website that rates restaurants...
==
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 21, 2018 09:58PM
Paul F.

You musta didn't have the Riblets. That's kinda the ticket.
Date: February 21, 2018 10:05PM
vision63
Paul F.

Believe me, they can ruin the Riblets too. As DinerDave wrote above the Applebees here was mediocre when first opened. In my opinion he was being kind, or went there on a good day.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 21, 2018 10:08PM
JoeH
vision63
Paul F.

Believe me, they can ruin the Riblets too. As DinerDave wrote above the Applebees here was mediocre when first opened. In my opinion he was being kind, or went there on a good day.

I only go to Applebee's for the riblets. I stopped going when they dropped them from the menu. We happened to go to one a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised to see them back on the menu. They can expect me to fit Applebee's back into my rotation.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 22, 2018 06:03AM
3d
...It just doesn't translate well to an internet forum because no one will know what the heck you're talking about when you recommend Janice's Sunrise Diner on 5th St by the old Sport's Authority. ...

There's Apps & Websites providing a wealth of info on 'local eateries'.
I use them all the time; even my nav system (Garmin based) will show restaurants w/ review based ratings.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 22, 2018 07:28AM
The Applebees around me simply are not providing a decent experience. The service and food is not in the same league as the competition. One location had people bringing in their own beer, another tried karaoke which was really weird. Wife and I walked out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015