Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Livestreaming equipment for a church?
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: February 22, 2018 08:13AM
Hey folks,

I've been charged with finding a good way to stream our church services each Sunday to Facebook Live, Youtube, website, and so on. There are a lot of services out there but I need picks on a video setup that allows multicamera, audio input, titles, etc. I've seen the MEVO rig, but all the reviews talk about how it isn't quite ready for prime time and that the lack of a zoom hurts you when you are getting a full stage church service. Any other ideas or tips? Maybe something your church is using?

-M
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Livestreaming equipment for a church?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 22, 2018 10:58AM
Budget? Any existing equipment you want to continue using?

Needs can vary widely, but for something really solid I would suggest you take a look at the NewTek TriCaster Mini- [www.newtek.com]

We recently bought a TriCaster 460 Advanced Edition for work and it is super cool. Takes a few hours of learning before you really get a sense for how to work it as the interface is quite alien to most non-TV people, but I have a background in TV so it came to me more easily.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 22, 2018 10:58AM
The very first thing you need to do is fully understand why you want to stream. The vast majority of churches do this because other churches do and they want to be cool. Very few people actually watch them. I know some places who did the research and discovered the money was better spent elsewhere, as well as some that went all out for the entertainment value. If this is an instance of being cool, or the idea of "if you put it online, people will find us", then it's about the show. If that's the case, then the next thing you need to look at is lighting and camera position. Those will have a big impact on how engaging the video is. Most churches doing this will also man each camera.

If you're looking at streaming to shut-ins or others who want the content but can't make it to service, then that's a different approach. You don't have to worry about someone getting 15 seconds in and giving up because they're not entertained yet. There's one where you put an iPad on a special tripod head, and then give the speaker a mic to wear that the iPad will record and follow as they move. You can also use IP cameras (I've used cell phones even) and use something like OBS Studio. You can switch between cameras and a presentation, and have it stream to places like Facebook.

Let me know which bucket you think this instance falls in, and I can give you some more details.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 22, 2018 12:10PM
The minimum: a broadband connection to the church, a private mesh 802.11AC network (AC1200 routers were $40 at Newegg this week), and a $150 Android phone linked to a (shudder, and puke in my mouth a little bit) Facebook live streaming account.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 22, 2018 12:48PM
....from the confessional.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 23, 2018 09:06AM
[prochurchtools.com] WebSite

[prochurchtools.com] Article

[prochurchtools.com] Article

good info here as well as a forum.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2018 09:07AM by WHiiP.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 23, 2018 09:32AM
....recording in a church......???

.....you may catch a lot of sinning......by mistake.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RevKev
Date: February 23, 2018 10:23AM
We've been using this for about a month. Still working on a good audio mix (our fault), but I'm impressed so far. [www.myslingstudio.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2018 10:40AM by RevKev.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 319
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018