advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
shaving cream vs gel
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 25, 2018 11:53AM
I prefer shaving cream over gel. The local Target carries mostly gel, the Nivea shaving cream is always out of stock. They do have a generic foam but I don't like the smell. I have looked at other stores and always find plenty of shaving gels and very few shaving creams. So now I order 6 packs on Amazon (with subscribe and save).

Why is the shaving cream selection so limited?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: shaving cream vs gel
Posted by: Bo
Date: February 25, 2018 11:59AM
Order this and never look back: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 25, 2018 12:01PM
I can't stand gel. Before I got into using a double-edge and a brush with soap, I liked Barbasol with Aloe. If I want a really close shave, I use hair conditioner.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 25, 2018 12:05PM
A good bar of soap and a fresh razor every month.

Back in the day when I bought such things, i migrated to the gel because the can took up less space in the cabinet.
Foam now or foam later.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 25, 2018 12:19PM
Suave hair conditioner.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 25, 2018 12:20PM
Space,

Don't waste your time buying shaving cream at the local store. The selection in the local store tends to be limited because the companies that spend the bucks for the space are the big name, mass-market brands. Sometimes you'll find one of the better creams at a local store. More often, all you'll find is mass-market crap. If you want really good shaving cream, you need to look elsewhere.

There are a _ton_ of shaving creams on the market. Seriously. If you search on amazon.com, you'll find _far_ more creams than you'll ever use in your lifetime. I have my favorites, which I've mentioned in my annual shaving thread, i.e. Real shaving Co, Proraso, C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream (available at Bath & Bodyworks or C.O. Bigelow itself), Art of Shaving Unscented, Kiss My Face Moisture Shave unscented, Cremo (which needs _lots_ of water for it to work properly), etc. Others have their favorites and what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for someone else.

Most of the really good creams are going to cost you some bucks. There are some real bargains, though. Real Shaving Co cream, Kiss My Face Moisture Shave and others are very good and offer solid bang for the bucks. FWIW, the only gel I'll ever use now, if I go for a gel, is Harry's Foaming Shave Gel. Not a favorite by any means but better than the mass-market gels.

If you _really_ want to find out about shaving creams, jump over to [www.badgerandblade.com]. You'll be blown away by what you find on the site.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 25, 2018 12:21PM
....believe that gel has more lubricants and moisturizers.......it is more 'modern'......that is why stores stock less cream.....

.....it's like laundry detergent, most place have small space for powder but the majority of space is for liquid and pods now.......welcome to the modern day......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 25, 2018 12:27PM
What is this shaving cream or gel you speak of?

Paul

Date: February 25, 2018 12:31PM
Ombligo
Suave hair conditioner.

Yes. My favorite. I use the coconut scented one.
Date: February 25, 2018 12:32PM
I was under the impression that in proper English we don’t end a sentence with a preposition?
Date: February 25, 2018 12:39PM
space-time
I was under the impression that in proper English we don’t end a sentence with a preposition?

"At one time, schoolchildren were taught that a sentence should never end with a preposition. However, this is a rule from Latin grammar that was applied to English. While many aspects of Latin have made their way into the English language, this particular grammar rule is not suited for modern English usage."

Paul

Date: February 25, 2018 12:43PM
.....if you are shaving a 'sensitive area'............'down there'.....use clippers instead........

Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 25, 2018 12:46PM
Yeah, what could go wrong with clippers?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 25, 2018 12:48PM
well, they could sink, or be set upon by pirates.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 25, 2018 12:53PM
Ombligo
Suave hair conditioner.

agree smiley

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: February 25, 2018 12:54PM
....will this then make you....rico.....suave......e........

Posted by: flareslow
Date: February 25, 2018 12:57PM
Bo

agree smiley
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: February 25, 2018 01:08PM
voodoopenguin
space-time

"At one time, schoolchildren were taught that a sentence should never end with a preposition. However, this is a rule from Latin grammar that was applied to English. While many aspects of Latin have made their way into the English language, this particular grammar rule is not suited for modern English usage."

Paul
Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Asheville, NC Area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 01:09PM by MartyStickle.
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 25, 2018 01:29PM
I will stick with my Norelco, thank you.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 25, 2018 03:03PM
PeterW
Yeah, what could go wrong with clippers?

Well, they traded CP3 to the Rockets and Blake to the Pistons...
==
Posted by: jh
Date: February 25, 2018 03:12PM
On the other hand.

Grew a beard over forty years ago and other than trimming it regularly, have never shaved since. :-)
Posted by: Drew
Date: February 25, 2018 03:19PM
Yes! This stuff is fantastic. Only need a very small amount per shave. Shaving in the shower is the bomb.

Bo

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 25, 2018 03:40PM
Cremo or hair conditioner.

Shave in the shower if possible.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: February 25, 2018 03:45PM
I love this stuff, great find.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 25, 2018 03:52PM
While I prefer the sensation of cream, gel is a better tool and that's what I use.

Gel lifts more effectively than cream which provides a closer shave without investing in expensive razors/blades. Since it's translucent, it's easier to accurately hit the beard-line on the neck. Because it expands a great deal more than shaving cream, it takes less gel to cover the same area of skin and so while it's often more expensive than shaving cream on a per-ounce basis, the difference tends balance out on a per-shave basis. It's also easy to find a gel with soothing moisturizers and attractive scent.

Date: February 25, 2018 04:06PM
jh
On the other hand.

Grew a beard over forty years ago and other than trimming it regularly, have never shaved since. :-)

That's what I was alluding to. Started growing my beard the last term at school and now I'm 66. Never had to worry about that morning (some people morning and evening) ritual.

A very nice young woman comes round every six weeks to cut my wife's hair, my hair and trim my beard so I don't even have to bother with that.

Paul

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 25, 2018 04:23PM
Golfer

How long does this last? It's $8 for 18 ml. 20 drops per ml implies about six months.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 04:24PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: February 25, 2018 04:30PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Golfer

How long does this last? It's $8 for 18 ml. 20 drops per ml implies about six months.

It's $3.85 or so at Walmart. I shave every other day and use 6-7 drops instead of the 3 they suggest and it lasts 5 months or so.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 25, 2018 05:22PM
Another vote for "Secret Shave". You only need a few drops per shave. A bottle lasts me months. It looks like I'm one of the few here that prefers gel over a cream. I also like Gillette's Power Fusion razor system. old fogey smiley
Date: February 25, 2018 06:04PM
Sarcany,

Your post is the first time I've ever heard anyone say gel is superior to cream. I really have to question why you think it's a superior tool. Maybe because it turns into foamy lather? Many creams and soaps, when applied properly, turn into lather, which lifts whiskers.

I've also gotta say translucent and/or clear gels are worse than any cream in my experience. I've tried a bunch and the translucency actually makes it more difficult to shave. Creams easily lets me see where I've already used the razor. Shave and the cream/foam/lather is gone. Translucent gels look very much like my skin and often made me do a double-pass during the first pass unnecessarily.

Robert
Posted by: blooz
Date: February 25, 2018 06:26PM
I take the soap I use for the shower and put them in a bowl when they get small and just lather up from that with a brush.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 25, 2018 06:47PM
Now that's a idea worth trying (at least once). I have the scraps. Guess I'll have to get a brush.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 25, 2018 06:52PM
I use a generic moisturizing body wash in the shower. Lather the face, strop the razor against my forearm. And shave. Rinse in the shower, use my free hand to feel for leftover stubble, and shave that too. Rinse and put it back on the shelf in the shower. The blade (Gillette 5 blade thing) has been in use since last August. I have not shaved in front of a mirror for over 10 years now.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 25, 2018 07:00PM
I used Edge for the longest time. Then the metal bottom started to damage the porcelain tub (American Standard junk, I won't do that again, but alas...).
So I looked for anything in a plastic tube. Tried a few, none of which I remember, and ended up with TJs Honey Mango that smells mostly like coconut to me. Does a good job with a quarter size blob. I do not shave daily and it still does well.
Also tried Lather and Wood pre-shave for the odd day when I need a clean shave again. Meh.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 25, 2018 07:20PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

Your post is the first time I've ever heard anyone say gel is superior to cream. I really have to question why you think it's a superior tool.

I told you why.

You can also Google it. This is not news. Shaving cream/foam doesn't lift very well and steals moisture.

Dunno if you have a beard, but the translucency is a distinct advantage for gel when you're trying to make a clean beard-line.

Shaving cream has the familiar lather and odor from youth, and it makes for an enjoyable shaving experience, but it's long been obsoleted.

(Shaving lubricants are potentially the very best option for an aging face as they won't dry out the skin, but finding one of good quality that you can get a consistent shave from and can easily get from a drug store in a pinch is very difficult. They tend to separate when they've been sitting on a shelf for awhile. I disagree about "Shave Secret" being particularly good. Raises bumps on my neck.)

Date: February 25, 2018 07:29PM
wurm
Now that's a idea worth trying (at least once). I have the scraps. Guess I'll have to get a brush.

Get an Omega Pro 49 from eBay or Amazon.
Date: February 25, 2018 07:35PM
Sarcany,

Not really. Everything you said about gels I can say the same about a quality cream or soap. Key is using them properly. Some creams aren't designed to foam at all and you still get a BBS with them.

We definitely disagree on the translucency. It definitely doesn't work for me. Maybe it's because I don't have a beard. I've had beards and still didn't like translucent gels and creams. Definitely a personal preference.

We do agree on Shave Secret. Definitely not good in my experience. I'll take a cream that offers superior slickness over a Shave Secret without question. I've used other oils but am still not a fan of them.

None of the creams I use on a regular basis have the familiar lather and scent of the stuff I used when I started shaving in the '80s. I prefer fragrance-free/unscented shaving creams that offer great lubrication with minimal foam.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 09:08AM by Robert M.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 25, 2018 07:43PM
Ok...you got me. I'm in for a tube of Cremo. But I do prefer gel over foam. *FOR ME*, it sticks better and moisturizes better. I usually just use lotion when I travel so as not to have to carry extra stuff. I'd be fine with that, but it's too hard to see where you've been...and I guess gel helps gives me more feedback of how well it's been applied.
Posted by: Bo
Date: February 25, 2018 08:22PM
datbeme
Ok...you got me. I'm in for a tube of Cremo. But I do prefer gel over foam. *FOR ME*, it sticks better and moisturizes better. I usually just use lotion when I travel so as not to have to carry extra stuff. I'd be fine with that, but it's too hard to see where you've been...and I guess gel helps gives me more feedback of how well it's been applied.

Nice...come join the cult de lo Cremo! Soon enough we'll have you you on an E-meter winking smiley
Date: February 25, 2018 08:43PM
.......Proraso.....

Posted by: Don C
Date: February 25, 2018 10:54PM
I used to shave in the shower using body wash but got to looking at how much hot water was running down the drain as I shaved so I stopped doing that. Shaving at the sink lets me keep a low flow of water running, or no water running at all.

I have a light beard (calling it a beard is a serious overstatement) so a can of Barbasol works just fine. Obviously, some of you will scoff at that, but it works just fine.

Somehow seeing the name Barbasol makes me think of Burma Shave and not a few shaves have begun with old Burma Shave highway Jingles running through my head. [burma-shave.org]
Posted by: davester
Date: February 26, 2018 12:43AM
Similar to blooz, I use a mug, soap, brush and hot water. Pleasant, cheap, and no piles of metal cans in landfills.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 26, 2018 05:31AM
davester
Similar to blooz, I use a mug, soap, brush and hot water. Pleasant, cheap, and no piles of metal cans in landfills.

we recycle the cans.
Date: February 26, 2018 06:16AM
......so you appreciate a nice set of cans......??

Posted by: davester
Date: February 26, 2018 01:08PM
space-time
davester

we recycle the cans.

How? Most recycling centers will not accept aerosol cans due to safety issues and have to remove them from the recycling stream if you throw them in the recycle bin.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 26, 2018 01:17PM
Our recycling will take the following aerosol cans:

EMPTY aerosol cans from health, beauty, laundry or food products only. Do not puncture, pierce flatten or remove nozzles.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 26, 2018 07:21PM
Every recycler has their own requirements.
Date: February 26, 2018 09:23PM
davester
space-time
davester

we recycle the cans.

How? Most recycling centers will not accept aerosol cans due to safety issues and have to remove them from the recycling stream if you throw them in the recycle bin.

Interesting, I need to check how they handle it. I may have been putting these in the recycling bin all these years for nothing.
Date: February 26, 2018 09:27PM
.....bin there.....done that......

Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 26, 2018 09:37PM
space-time
davester
space-time
davester

we recycle the cans.

Interesting, I need to check how they handle it. I may have been putting these in the recycling bin all these years for nothing.

You would have to check with whichever organization or company is doing the recycling in your area. As I posted above, we can recycle some types of aerosol cans here. Here the town does curbside pickup, the recyclables are processed by a facility near Springfield, MA about 40 miles away. That serves the cities and towns in the region, the quote I gave was from one of their guides to what they can take in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 289
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015