advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Moldy and Oldy.. how do YOU store Bread ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 28, 2018 09:11AM
And no... not the soft rock 60's LA band with a romantic lyrical sound. (Crap.. now I have "If" running through my head)
Bread in the cbelt3 household goes in a basket with a lid, but is kept in a bag as well. Except... it kind of gets forgotten in there and gets a bit green. The neighborhood squirrels like it (we hung a plastic basket up on a tree for such offerings), but ...

So, how do you store carb-coma-inducing food type products in your household ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Moldy and Oldy.. how do YOU store Bread ?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 28, 2018 09:19AM
Better Call Paul™
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: February 28, 2018 09:21AM
Either in the pantry or on the counter. Never in the fridge.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 28, 2018 09:22AM
.....usually in 'ma belly.....

.....if it is 'fresh' baked......will keep on counter for 1-2 days....after that in the fridge.....same with pre-made breads...

.....used to always put in fridge but like the soft/warm feeling bread....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 28, 2018 09:23AM
Fridge. We get one of those multigrain loaves, and it often spends a month in there without getting moldy (which, frankly, makes me a little suspicious, but it’s darn convenient).

When our daughter visits and brings us New York bagels, we split them and freeze them. They toast up pretty well.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 28, 2018 09:26AM
You could always separate the loaf when it is fresh and freeze in zip bags. You determine how many slices you want available per batch.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 28, 2018 09:35AM
The fridge is bad, but freeze the loaf in the bag, pull out the slices you need, microwave for a few seconds, or just at room temperature, fresh and soft!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 09:36AM by Ken Sp..
Date: February 28, 2018 09:37AM
.....I microwave older bread too but you may have to do it in increments.....if you microwave too much it becomes way 'harder'......and only microwave what you need.....and will usually place a slightly damp papercloth on top to help 'moisten' the bread while microwaving......

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 28, 2018 09:38AM
Our Golden Retriever is a bread hound, so it can't stay on the counter. The microwave has become our de facto bread box. The outside vent brings very cold air into the microwave, so it keeps things just cool enough to discourage mold that a regular bread box seems to encourage.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 28, 2018 09:45AM
In the winter we keep loaves in a plastic bag on the counter. In the summer same bag of bread will get moldy before we finish it, so we switch to the fridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 09:45AM by mikebw.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: February 28, 2018 09:45AM
Ken Sp.
The fridge is bad, but freeze the loaf in the bag, pull out the slices you need, microwave for a few seconds, or just at room temperature, fresh and soft!

This.

"The neighborhood squirrels like it (we hung a plastic basket up on a tree for such offerings), but ... "

Hereabouts, we don't need bread to entice the squirrels to gnaw on plastic baskets. And they also seem to require aluminum in their diet because I am constantly replacing the gnawed aluminum wire ties on my chain link fence.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: February 28, 2018 10:04AM
Ken Sp.
freeze the loaf in the bag, pull out the slices you need, microwave for a few seconds, or just at room temperature, fresh and soft!

Agree with Ken, we do the same.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 28, 2018 10:07AM
Store-bought bread on the counter in its original bag.

Home-made bread (almost the only bread I eat any more, unless the local Safeway has those Asiago-Cheddar bagels fresh that morning...) I store in a 2 gallon zip-lock bag, with enough air in the bag so it's not tight against the loaf. Lasts about a week and a half, which is about how long a batch of two loaves of sourdough lasts. The last few slices or "end hunks" are best for dipping in stew at that point.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 28, 2018 10:12AM
Mostly in Baby Buzz, otherwise another freezerer here, w/ small quantities removed as needed. FWIW, we thaw in ziplock bags, which works nicely, and no, we don't know Heloise, or if she ever said it.
==
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 28, 2018 10:19AM
Freezer. Toast a couple of slices to make sammich. Yumm!

=wr=
Posted by: billb
Date: February 28, 2018 11:05AM
Never in the fridge.
Freezer
never let the frozen entity sit out with the warm air causing condensation inside the thin plastic bag. Paper might not be so bad. This is how the bread gets soggy - many people's complaint of frozen bread.
It happens quick. Grab your slices and get it back in the freezer.
Zap in the micro or toast.

Moldy bread doesn't go in the regular compost otherwise it contributes to a rise in the squirrel and raccoon population. It goes in a separate critter free barrel .

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: February 28, 2018 11:20AM
For fresh-baked french bread, english muffins, etc. it goes in it's original paper bag in the pantry cabinet. If it starts to get a little hard after a few days I revive it by spraying a tiny bit of water on the cut slices and throw it in the toaster oven to warm.

For sliced corporate bread, it either stays in its original packaging in the pantry cabinet or gets frozen in a ziploc bag...remove slices as needed and then quickly put back in freezer.

Best way to ruin bread and turn it into stale mush...put it in the refrigerator.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 11:21AM by davester.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 28, 2018 11:56AM
I don't eat it daily because it's carbs, so the long french loaf goes into the freezer. It goes into the toaster set on zero for about 40 seconds to take the chill off.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 28, 2018 12:02PM
I see so many people saying "never in the fridge" but I've never had a problem with it. Guess I just eat it up quickly enough that it doesn't turn to stale mush? We're talking about keeping it in a sealed plastic bag right?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 28, 2018 12:23PM
"In the fridge" causes the starch to crystalize. That changes the texture, it gets stale, and dries out the bread as well depending on the wrapper. Toasting, heating, etc. only partly reverses that crystallization of the starches.

P.S. The usual polyethylene bag bread comes in from the store is only a partial moisture barrier, so bread in these bags will slowly dry out in the fridge. The crinkly cellophane wrap some better breads use inside the bag around the loaf is a better moisture barrier when still sealed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 12:30PM by JoeH.
Date: February 28, 2018 12:33PM
mikebw
I see so many people saying "never in the fridge" but I've never had a problem with it. Guess I just eat it up quickly enough that it doesn't turn to stale mush? We're talking about keeping it in a sealed plastic bag right?

With sliced corporate-branded bread you might not notice much of a difference since the texture may not be that great anyway. However, no good can come of putting bread in the refrigerator...the texture/taste will degrade. It's the freezer or nothing for me.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 28, 2018 12:56PM
In The Fridge!™

Yeah I get why not to, but bread doesn't last more that 3 days in our house (gets eaten, not moldy!) and it's most out of the way in our small kitchen when it's in the fridge, so that's where it goes.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 28, 2018 01:09PM
Extra in the fridge. There's no room in the freezer. Then on the counter, it's in a plastic loaf-shaped container with a lid.
Date: February 28, 2018 01:43PM
Lew Zealand
In The Fridge!™

Yeah I get why not to, but bread doesn't last more that 3 days in our house (gets eaten, not moldy!) and it's most out of the way in our small kitchen when it's in the fridge, so that's where it goes.

For three days I'd just put it in a box at room temp.
Except for bread in paper, then a reused bread wrapper or the box thing like Dennis, but in a dark place.
Like the old tinned bread drawers.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rz
Date: February 28, 2018 02:09PM
We put ours in the fridge, sometimes for over a month. Never noticed it being stale or mushy. We can't leave on the counter here in FL... it will mold within days.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 28, 2018 05:02PM
I've changed my routine slightly since going from getting groceries once a week to every other week. The sliced, white goo loaf sits on the counter, so loaded with preservatives, I can go the two weeks without much, if any, drop in quality.

I also grab a loaf of either Italian or french from the in store bakery. That stuff is a race to use it up before mold sets in. Then, it's out the door for any animal that happens by. I also get some kind of bread rolls from the bakery that goes in the freezer until the 2nd week. Those things will also mold within a week.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 28, 2018 05:50PM
I have one of these on the counter for my home made bread.

Gets about a week in the cold weather, maybe 5 days in the warm.
If bread last longer, there is no choice but the fridge.

I'll eat it a little blue, but no green and/or furry.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 28, 2018 07:00PM
Fritz

I have the same one.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 28, 2018 07:00PM
Guess the movie

"The cheese is old and moldy"
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: February 28, 2018 07:02PM
rz
We can't leave on the counter here in FL... it will mold within days.
What rz said. I can leave bread out for a very few days during cool spells in winter, but in summer the mold is unbelievably fast to grow. The whole grain bread pictured is our daily loaf, and we keep it in the fridge — toasted, it tastes great.
Date: February 28, 2018 09:14PM
Fritz

Now, exactly how would you describe the size of that object?

Date: February 28, 2018 09:28PM
....is that the box they used in the movie 'Se7en'.....????

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 28, 2018 10:29PM
Eat Wonderbread. It will last at least a decade.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 01, 2018 12:12AM
Speedy
Eat Wonderbread. It will last at least a decade.

...and if you store it in the fridge the taste and texture are unaffected.

Date: March 01, 2018 12:39AM
Fritz

That was nice to include the link so if someone was, say, curious of a size description they could easily quench that curiosity.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rexs
Date: March 01, 2018 01:24AM
I've been cutting the bread into portions we can eat in about 3days and vacuum packaging and then freezing. It works well for Costco two loaf bags and NY bagels when I get the chance.
Date: March 01, 2018 02:39AM
billb
Fritz

That was nice to include the link so if someone was, say, curious of a size description they could easily quench that curiosity.

Went right over his head, probably because he was blinded by his desire to throw an oblique insult. Breadbox, meet billb. I'm sure that you two are a good conversational match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 02:41AM by davester.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 01, 2018 06:00AM
LOL, man where do you guys buy your weed?

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 01, 2018 08:09AM
Freezer. Fridges make stale bread.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 01, 2018 08:18AM
....is it bigger.....than a bread....box....???

Date: March 01, 2018 11:52AM
davester
billb
Fritz

Went right over his head, probably because he was blinded by his desire to throw an oblique insult. Breadbox, meet billb. I'm sure that you two are a good conversational match.

Still no self control.

That was just so far too easy.

[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 11:54AM by billb.
Date: March 01, 2018 02:55PM
billb
davester
billb
Fritz

Still no self control.

That was just so far too easy.

nuts smiley

Date: March 02, 2018 11:36AM
.....in the bread closet.....??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015