advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Further Comcast Woes
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 09, 2018 09:32AM
my internet has been out since wednesday. phone troubleshooting and resets didn't help. bought a new modem from comcraps approved list yesterday and that didn't help. tech came this morning. first thing out of his mouth was FYI, your modem is no longer supported. hey, no, i bought it from the approved list yesterday. he checks a number of things and says the line to the modem is fine. he goes under the house and replaces a few squirrel chewed connections. modem still doesn't work. he says he can't do anything to further check my modem since it's not a comcast modem. oh, so to further troubleshoot this i need to try a comcast modem? yes.

he leaves. i go to comcast to get one of their modems which turns out to be a modem/router combo. $12 a month rental. it's hooked up and whadayouknow, i have internet.

i find it suspicious that everything was working fine until there was an outage and after the outage is resolved only a comcast device. i'm trying to track down where to buy this if necessary but in the meantime, is it possible to hook my Asus router up to this or do i have to hook everything into the comcast device?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Further Comcast Woes
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 09, 2018 09:41AM
I don’t know if this helps, but I have a Century-link supplied modem that’s hooked into an Airport base station, and the latter provides wireless in my house.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 09, 2018 10:33AM
Since everything works, switch it out again - if your modem still does not work, then there is the issue. Return it as faulty and get another (I have had bad modems out of the box). Then if it doesn't work, I would be extremely suspicious.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: March 09, 2018 11:14AM
Ombligo
Since everything works, switch it out again - if your modem still does not work, then there is the issue. Return it as faulty and get another (I have had bad modems out of the box). Then if it doesn't work, I would be extremely suspicious.

but what are the odds of my old modem dying suddenly and a new one not working at all? your suggestion is reasonable and i'll probably do that when my mood over this improves. thanks.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 09, 2018 11:42AM
Wait a few days, then try your original SB6121
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 09, 2018 11:45AM
the issues is that you need to activate the old or new modem. You can't just plug it in and expect it to work. You may need to call Comcast, or the modem may take you to a page to activate it.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 09, 2018 11:50AM
I notice that my SB6141 is no longer on their approved list, but it still works just fine. I bought it less than 4 years ago. When I bought it, I had to make sure I got the correct version. There was a consumer retail version that I bought, and some other version. I think the other version was for some reason unsupported. Some kind of an OEM version perhaps?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 09, 2018 12:04PM
space-time
the issues is that you need to activate the old or new modem. You can't just plug it in and expect it to work. You may need to call Comcast, or the modem may take you to a page to activate it.
.this
Your account is linked to the MAC# of the modem.
You'll need your account info and the modem's MAC ADDRESS (CM MAC) also the modem's model name, model number, and serial number
Connect the computer direct to the modem, power on modem & then reboot the computer. From your browser go to:
Activate
and follow the directions.

Here's the link to Xfinity's how-to page:
Directions

Good Luck!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 12:08PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 09, 2018 12:28PM
space-time

agree smiley Did you call them to activate the one you bought from the accepted list?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 09, 2018 02:43PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 02:46PM by graylocks.
Date: March 09, 2018 02:45PM
space-time

yes. I know. I did this. this isn't my first rodeo, folks.

Posted by: space-time
Date: March 09, 2018 03:35PM
graylocks
space-time

yes. I know. I did this. this isn't my first rodeo, folks.

Good to hear. Just wanted to make sure we checked all possible issues.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 09, 2018 08:20PM
graylocks
i'm trying to track down where to buy this if necessary but in the meantime, is it possible to hook my Asus router up to this or do i have to hook everything into the comcast device?

Depending upon the age/model Asus, the Comcast modem/router may provide better WiFi.

To put it into bridge mode and use your Asus router instead of the Comcast device:
[www.xfinity.com]

If so inclined, you can disable the wireless radio (a.k.a. wireless gateway) while you're logged in as admin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 08:22PM by Sarcany.
Date: March 09, 2018 08:42PM
Sarcany

Depending upon the age/model Asus, the Comcast modem/router may provide better WiFi.

To put it into bridge mode and use your Asus router instead of the Comcast device:
[www.xfinity.com]

If so inclined, you can disable the wireless radio (a.k.a. wireless gateway) while you're logged in as admin.

THANK YOU! and it did occur to me that this gateway may be more powerful. sometimes doing yard work i lose my wifi connection. something to check out for sure. still, if i keep it i'd want to buy one as that makes more sense economically. can't seem to find this exact model though the comcast tech said best buy carried it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020