advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AncestryDNA results are in and the winner is...
Posted by: DP
Date: March 10, 2018 06:44AM
Wife got me an AncestryDNA kit as a Christmas gift and I got the results back. No big surprises as we've been pretty sure of our family origins. My Mother's side is British isles and the story is her Quaker ancestors came to Pennsylvania around 1700. My Dad's side is German with his grandparents coming to Michigan in the 1880s.

So, here's the map:

No real surprises except for the bit from the Iberian peninsula. No one has ever mentioned anything about any Spanish or Portuguese ancestors even tho it's only 6%. Maybe it's a British Isles ancestor dealing in the Port wine trade and dallying with a local!

No talk of Scandinavia either but considering Vikings were all over the British Isles that's not surprising. I definitely look nothing like the mascot of the Minnesota Vikings, tho!

Interestingly, while I knew I have Irish in me (Murphy), that seems to be a strong DNA sample zeroing in on southern Ireland. Also, I'm not sure why they separate Great Britain from Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

So I'll look around a little bit more. Of course, it'll cost more money but I'll see how much it will be. But I did look at the feature showing names of relatives and the very first listing was my cousin (my Mother's sister's daughter). I didn't know she had had used Ancestry DNA and I'll talk to her about it!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AncestryDNA results are in and the winner is...
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 10, 2018 06:55AM
I did the 23andMe kit and have found the results interesting.

Will post later, just to say that what we assumed was not quite right.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 10, 2018 07:23AM
how do they treat your data? which has the best privacy policy?

Can you use a fake name, prepaid card, fake email address?
Date: March 10, 2018 07:41AM
We researched a bit (we have a kit for my wife's Dad too) and Ancestry DNA came up at the top or near to it for DNA kits for accuracy. You can go online to check that stuff, space, but one of the first things that shows up is their protection of your information. And you can use a handle like on the forum here. Not sure about payment as my wife got it but I'll ask her later. And any email will do as long as they have somewhere to send you your results. Get a throwaway email like a gmail address and use that only for the DNA site you decide on.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 10, 2018 08:16AM
space-time
how do they treat your data? which has the best privacy policy?

Can you use a fake name, prepaid card, fake email address?

I've had this concern too... but realize this - your DNA is just about a unique identifier as they get, and if there is any sharing going on, it's going to be of those As, Ts, Gs, and Cs... and if you submit under false identities to multiple services they're going to eventually figure out that Walter Payton Halas & Mubarak Obama Smith are the same individual - or at least a very unique genetic case.

Nope, I'm waiting until one can do the sequencing in the privacy of one's own home. I think the equipment's come down - $1000 DNA sequencers are available - I'm just not sure what other hardware, equipment, and lab-based expertise you need to have to run one. I'd bet you could do it for $5000 on your own right now provided you could put the pieces together.
g=
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 10, 2018 08:20AM
Do these services share their data with law enforcement? I’m guessing they would.
Date: March 10, 2018 08:22AM
ka jowct
Do these services share their data with law enforcement? I’m guessing they would.

it's not the law enforcement I am worried about, since I am a law abiding citizen. Well, even then sometimes they make mistakes and nail the wrong person. It has happened.

But I am worried about health insurance. Suppose they determine that I am at high risk for certain disease, say hearth disease after a certain age. My life and health insurance rates will skyrocket or they will deny coverage.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 10, 2018 08:46AM
space-time
ka jowct

it's not the law enforcement I am worried about, since I am a law abiding citizen. Well, even then sometimes they make mistakes and nail the wrong person. It has happened.

But I am worried about health insurance. Suppose they determine that I am at high risk for certain disease, say hearth disease after a certain age. My life and health insurance rates will skyrocket or they will deny coverage.

The GINA federal law specifically bans health insurers and employers from discriminating on the basis of genetic information testing but it's silent on life insurance. It also doesn't seem to specifically focus on long term care policies (I searched for "long" in the document and nothing about long term health care policies came up). So, who knows whether long term health care policies are exempt. I used my real email for my results; that might have been a mistake, although I don't know of any genetic diseases in my family.

[www.hhs.gov]
Date: March 10, 2018 08:50AM
Michael
The GINA federal law specifically bans health insurers and employers from discriminating on the basis of genetic information testing ...

in the current political climate, this could change anytime. I could see health insurance companies lobbying members of congress to change some laws.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 10, 2018 09:06AM
space-time
Michael
The GINA federal law specifically bans health insurers and employers from discriminating on the basis of genetic information testing ...

in the current political climate, this could change anytime. I could see health insurance companies lobbying members of congress to change some laws.

The "lobbyists" were rather successful with the "previous" political climate dontcha think ?
Or do you think they took a vacation for 8 years ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 10, 2018 09:14AM
I am also waiting to do a version as anonymously as possible, but I think you have to use a commercial service, as they hold the database identifiers. Without those, you'd just have numbers.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 10, 2018 10:16AM
.....wonder if anyone here has nerd DNA....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 10, 2018 11:39AM
Not kidding.

I have one relative who had a much more thorough genetic search and one of the conclusions was that it totally went back to the time of this guy.

(only, circumcised, as he should be.)
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 10, 2018 12:06PM
Some people say, data is the new oil.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 10, 2018 01:02PM
DP
We researched a bit (we have a kit for my wife's Dad too) and Ancestry DNA came up at the top or near to it for DNA kits for accuracy. You can go online to check that stuff, space, but one of the first things that shows up is their protection of your information.

Well, of course they will say that. But I'm sure they also invite you to read the full 30 pages of the actual agreement and ALL OF THEM say that changes can be made at any time. But more important... other companies have made no such promise to you and when the value of their database is too large to be ignored, they will sell to the highest bidder. THAT company is buying info, not the business and has made no promises to anyone.

This has happened LOTS of times in the internet era. I'm keeping my DNA to myself.

It's the damned TV ads. I don't get TV ads - giving my DNA away has never entered my mind - why would it? People have been lulled into believing that it's just fine. IMO, that has yet to be proved.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: March 10, 2018 04:38PM
Interpret you Ancestry results very cautiously. Norwegians settled Ireland (and founded Dublin, the first city in Ireland); Danes, as you say, were in England (although mostly eastern England). In addition, the Danes themselves were a mix of Germans, Frisians, Balts, and so on. There was no period when "racially pure" groups existed in Europe (or anywhere else). On a continental scale, Ancestry can do OK, although even there it's difficult to tell southern European from northern African; but anything that is more fine-grained that that is bound to be misleading.
Date: March 10, 2018 05:47PM
I think we all come from Adam and Eve, right?
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 10, 2018 10:49PM
space-time
I think we all come from Adam and Eve, right?

I dispute your claim because clearly the earth is flat, and rests on the backs of an infinite tower of turtles all the way down, as decreed by Shiva.
Date: March 11, 2018 08:11AM
J Marston
Interpret you Ancestry results very cautiously. Norwegians settled Ireland (and founded Dublin, the first city in Ireland); Danes, as you say, were in England (although mostly eastern England). In addition, the Danes themselves were a mix of Germans, Frisians, Balts, and so on. There was no period when "racially pure" groups existed in Europe (or anywhere else). On a continental scale, Ancestry can do OK, although even there it's difficult to tell southern European from northern African; but anything that is more fine-grained that that is bound to be misleading.

Of course! Lots of sperm being sprayed around Europe and the Mediterranean over the last ten thousand years!

Also, when going into the timeline info, it shows some ancestors in Australia! I wish this stuff was out there when I was there back in the 90s. I would have looked a bit. I have conscript blood in me! grinning smiley

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 11, 2018 08:39AM
DP
I have conscript blood in me! grinning smiley

Ah, no. You share genes with a “conscript”. Neither blood nor genes flow backwards through time in your family tree.
Date: March 11, 2018 09:02AM
DeusxMac
DP
I have conscript blood in me! grinning smiley

Ah, no. You share genes with a “conscript”. Neither blood nor genes flow backwards through time in your family tree.

You're just being a wise ass here?
Date: March 11, 2018 09:31AM
You're just being a wise ass here?

Of course! Hence the smily emoji and my sig...

Actually, conscripts sent to Australia were a small number. There were the ships' crews, soldiers(Royal Marines) and other sailors, scientists and their families, government officials and their families, farmers and other workers who volunteered to go to start a new life.

Date: March 11, 2018 10:57AM
I was referring to the backward flow of dna or blood, actually, since that was fairly obvious from your post
Date: March 11, 2018 11:14AM
mrbigstuff
I was referring to the backward flow of dna or blood, actually, since that was fairly obvious from your post

Yep. But they show a timeline too starting from 1700 and the migration patterns of my ancestors. A fun little feature. They actually have a lot of information for the money.

My nephew ( my brother's son) got back to me that he and his mother did 23andMe but haven't gotten the results yet. It'll be interesting to compare the results. BTW, another forumite suggests using the National Geographic's version.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020