advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AUTO INSURANCE SHOWDOWN - Geico or Travelers?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 11, 2018 10:44PM
I have renters' insurance through Travelers. I have auto through Geico. Its my impression that Geico is 'cheaper' insurance. If its not too much more for better insurance, then I figure I might as well pay a little more.

I should probably research this a bit more (and might yet) but have a million other things going on - so whats your take? Any advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AUTO INSURANCE SHOWDOWN - Geico or Travelers?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 11, 2018 10:56PM
I have auto and renters insurance through GEICO.

They outsourced the renters policy to Travelers.

...It turns out that GEICO does not provide homeowners/renters insurance. They subcontract to other companies, including Travelers, AIG and Liberty Mutual.

This doesn't mean anything much. I got the rate that they offered and it's cheaper than Travelers offered me when I contacted them directly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 10:57PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 11, 2018 10:58PM
GEICO has mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI):

Your new car is your baby, so it deserves a little extra protection. MBI is available for new or leased cars that are less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles.

[www.geico.com]

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: davester
Date: March 11, 2018 11:38PM
How far do you drive? We don't drive very far and other than winter I mostly commute by bike. That's why I'm about to change to Metromile insurance (not available in all states yet) which charges by the mile. Insurance is pretty much a fungible commodity so get the cheapest you can find. Be aware that some of the cheapest companies will lowball you on claims or be slower in the claims process, but if you are insistent you can get around this. If you don't meet the low mileage requirements of Metromile then Geico is one of the cheapest. 21st Century is pretty low cost too.

MBI sounds like a ripoff to me. Avoid paying for insurance you don't need.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 11:39PM by davester.
Date: March 11, 2018 11:43PM
We drove 12k miles in the first year. Anticipate 10-12k this year. Wife has a 13 mile commute. That’s all much higher than I expected but we’re a family of three.

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 12, 2018 04:37AM
We've only had one small claim paid under GEICO, and a couple others GEICO did not pay because the other guy was at fault, though of course they are involved initially until it's sorted. In all incidents I felt we were dealt with fairly and efficiently. We switched to GEICO when our old insurance (Erie) dropped us after three paid minor claims with 18 months. GEICO was simply the cheapest by a decent margin for our household with several young drivers.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 12, 2018 07:21AM
davester
MBI sounds like a ripoff to me. Avoid paying for insurance you don't need.
Agreed. Many brands include roadside assistance, towing, etc. during the first 3 years/36k miles (or longer) on their new vehicles. Some, are 'bumper-to-bumper' like VW's 72K/6years.

MBI sounds like one of those 'auto protection' schemes advertised on TV.

ftr, I have GEICO.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: testcase
Date: March 12, 2018 08:36AM
I’ve had auto insurance from both over the years. The service I received from Travelers was MUCH better than Geico.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 12, 2018 05:34PM
Matt,

Search for my posts about auto and homeowners insurance. Lots of good info.

Robert
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 12, 2018 07:06PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

Your new car is your baby, so it deserves a little extra protection. MBI is available for new or leased cars that are less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles.

[www.geico.com]

Why would anyone need mechanical breakdown insurance on a new car still under warranty?
Date: March 12, 2018 09:26PM
Mr645
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

[www.geico.com]

Why would anyone need mechanical breakdown insurance on a new car still under warranty?

they need you to pay in for a couple of years first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015