advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have been changed....for GOOD?!....PSA: 'Toy R Us' may be going bankrupt soon [ for good ]....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2018 08:09AM
.....the rumor is any day now [ they already declared bankruptcy in Sept but did get loan ].....this would be for 'going out of business' for good......

.......if you have any gift cards for 'Toy R Us' or 'Babies R Us' use as soon as possible as once they declare bankruptcy/going out of business.....chances are they will become worthless, as they go to the bottom of list for collecting......

......most stores are already in full 'liquidation' mode......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 09:01AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: 'Toy R Us' may be going bankruptcy soon [ for good ]....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 12, 2018 08:20AM
Retail Apocalypse... Amazon Eats the World.

Want to know why Musk wants to go to Mars ?
Bezos is taking over Earth !
Re: PSA: 'Toy R Us' may be going bankruptcy soon [ for good ]....
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 12, 2018 08:46AM
cbelt3
Retail Apocalypse... Amazon Eats the World.

Want to know why Musk wants to go to Mars ?
Bezos is taking over Earth !

Very good but true!
Re: I have been changed....for GOOD?!....PSA: 'Toy R Us' may be going bankrupt soon [ for good ]....
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 12, 2018 11:36AM
Looted by 'private capital'. Sunk by 'loans'.
Re: I have been changed....for GOOD?!....PSA: 'Toy R Us' may be going bankrupt soon [ for good ]....
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 12, 2018 12:03PM
Steve G.

I would posit that the market for children's toys is not what it once was. Even toddlers prefer electronic gadgets (smartphones, tablets) these days. With a nearly limitless selection of games available on these devices, children today really have no need for toys.

It is what it is.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 12, 2018 05:35PM
Steve G.
Toy R Us was robbed of the money to succeed by the private capital groups. When those groups bought it in the 2000's, the debt load they added was so huge that there was no money to compete and modernize. And the new owners didn't care....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 05:36PM by pqrst.
Posted by: raz
Date: March 12, 2018 08:22PM
pqrst
Steve G.
Toy R Us was robbed of the money to succeed by the private capital groups. When those groups bought it in the 2000's, the debt load they added was so huge that there was no money to compete and modernize. And the new owners didn't care....

True. Bain, KKR, and Vornado others took Toys R Us private for 6.6 $B of which only 1.3 was their own money.

So, Toys R Us was paying the interest on $B 5.3 since 2007. I don't know what the interest rate on those bonds was, but 6% is not an unreasonable guess. So, that's $M 300 each year that that was not available to the business. In addition, 'management fees' to the 'investors' would also come off the top line.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 12, 2018 10:47PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Steve G.

I would posit that the market for children's toys is not what it once was. Even toddlers prefer electronic gadgets (smartphones, tablets) these days. With a nearly limitless selection of games available on these devices, children today really have no need for toys.

The pay-for-shelf-space experience means that great games and toys that have powerful presence on the 'net and in specialty stores never showed up in Toys R Us. But they sure showed up on Amazon and eBay.

When I want to buy a new heli or the latest Euro-game, I don't go around the corner to Toys R Us because they only carry Air Hogs and Hasbro and those things are boring fragile cr@p that never lives up to its advertising. I'd gladly pay a modest premium to find quality merchandise that I could get my hands on same-day, but they have nothing to draw me in.

This is not just my own opinion. Amazon dumped them because they refused to diversify and pushed sponsored merchandise rather than popular merchandise.

This is one going out of business sale where I'd go in to look over the shelving and decorations rather than their stock.

And yeah, I'm sure that the investment firms made it many times worse than it would otherwise have been. Instead of following trends and working social media, they made no effort to adapt to the times. They just milked it until it ran dry.

It was a fun place once. Like 40 years ago. Now, it's just a depressing monument to runaway capitalism. RIP.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 13, 2018 10:38AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Steve G.

While their is definitely new demand for electronic entertainment, kids definitely do still need real physical toys, or at least play time that is NOT in front of a screen. They need to physically manipulate 3D objects, and exercise their bodies. They need to be social, get outside, ride a scooter, bike, skateboard or whatever. You can learn a lot on an iPad, but not enough to become a "normal" socially and physically adjusted human.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Pam
Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015