advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP: Hubert de Givenchy passes away [ fashion designer ] --> Givenchy.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2018 10:14AM
....91....in his sleep......

.....he designed wardrobe for Audrey Hepburn for 'Breakfast At Tiffany’s'.....and many of her subsequent movies.....and for Jackie Kennedy.....

French Fashion Icon Givenchy, Stylist To Audrey Hepburn & Jackie Kennedy, Dies Aged 91

....French fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy, known for creating iconic looks for Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Kennedy, has died in France at the age of 91.

His companion, Philippe Venet, told AFP that Givenchy passed away in his sleep on Saturday. Luxury good firm LVMH, which has owned the House OF Givenchy since 1988, called the designer “a gentleman who symbolized Parisian chic and elegance for more than half a century. He will be greatly missed.”

Givenchy’s designs were a regular feature on red carpets over the years but he was best-known for the celebrated “little black dress” worn by Audrey Hepburn in the opening scene of Breakfast At Tiffany’s. Hepburn and the designer formed a lasting friendship which helped cement his place in fashion and cinema history. He designed her suits and woollen dresses for the musical Funny Face in 1957, and the heist caper How To Steal A Million in 1966.

Givenchy heralded from an aristocratic background, and worked alongside Christian Dior after World War Two. He was employed by the designer Elsa Schiaparelli before leaving to found his own fashion house in 1952.

His designs have endured. Black Panther‘s Chadwick Boseman was among those to wear a custom Givenchy design on this year’s Oscars red carpet.

LVMH chief Bernard Arnault told AFP, “Among the designers who definitively placed Paris at the height of world fashion in the 1950s, Hubert de Givenchy gave his house a place apart… Givenchy knew how to marry two rare qualities: to be innovative and timeless.”

you may not know who he is.........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP: Hubert de Givenchy passes away [ fashion designer ] --> Givenchy.....
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 12, 2018 11:42PM
Decades ago, a girlfriend was helping me buy a suit. She showed me a Givenchy and howled with laughter when I pronounced it as it's spelled ("give in she"). Hey, at least I learned something. smiley-laughing001
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015