advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Took longer than expected, but inevitable -- Adobe CC going up in $
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 12, 2018 11:36AM
Now $52.99 vs $49.99 -- additional $36 a year. Mine wont take effect until November 2018.

Adobe stopped disclosing how many CC subscriptions it has, last count 2 years ago was 12 million.

Lets say now 14,000,000 x $36 = $500 million (half billion) raise by this time next year...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Took longer than expected, but inevitable -- Adobe CC going up in $
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 12, 2018 11:52AM
Buy a few shares of ADBE stock to offset the price increase. @220 today.

Date: March 12, 2018 12:23PM
Would have been a good stock to buy, from my totally novice eye, that looks impressive.

I will just raise everyone price come Jan 2019.

I have 2200 pages a year X $2 a page increase $4400 year increase.

----

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 12, 2018 12:24PM
I'd love to see a survey of Adobe users, and ask why they don't just purchase a standalone copy of CC 2014 (or whatever the last standalone was), and use that.

That monthly hit for the next 10 years of ones career, that's a lot of money.

Are the newest features really worth that money? It's a rhetorical question, because people are buying the monthly subscription. But it's always baffled me. Then again, I don't make my money with PS and the others, just more a casual user, which may be the answer.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32G RAM High Sierra 10.13.4x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: max
Date: March 12, 2018 12:33PM
tuqqer
why they don't just purchase a standalone copy of CC 2014 (or whatever the last standalone was), and use that.

CS6, still about $5 in Shanghai, pretty much does all of CC stuff .....
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 12, 2018 12:36PM
FWIW, you do get 100GB online storage (like dropbox) with a CC subscription, which is worth a fair amount by itself.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 12, 2018 12:50PM
tuqqer
I'd love to see a survey of Adobe users, and ask why they don't just purchase a standalone copy of CC 2014 (or whatever the last standalone was), and use that.

That monthly hit for the next 10 years of ones career, that's a lot of money.

Are the newest features really worth that money? It's a rhetorical question, because people are buying the monthly subscription. But it's always baffled me. Then again, I don't make my money with PS and the others, just more a casual user, which may be the answer.

The last stand-alone was CS6. I’m sure many of them would love to get off the ransomeware train. But that is exactly what Adobe wanted to avoid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 12:51PM by ka jowct.
Date: March 12, 2018 12:51PM
Last stand alone was CS6, released 6 years ago.

There is no "good" alternative if you live in the real design world.

Sure, I could maybe switch to Affinity photo and Quark, but would still need some sort of replacement for Dreamweaver (although CS 6 version would prob be fine), Illustrator and Acrobat pro.

And of course a way to convert my ID files to Quark. And then find another assistant designer that knew Quark.

Looks like to replace ID (Quark upgrade), Acrobat (pdfToolbox), PS/AI (affinity) -- maybe $1000. Or about 20 months of CC.

Technically I could use any tool, since 99% of my final output is PDF. ..

----

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 12, 2018 12:53PM
I have CS6 at home. No big changes since then. The biggest issue is I'm not sure if I can upgrade to High Sierra. I don't think it works with the new filesystem.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: March 12, 2018 01:01PM
Ive read that CS6 works with HS.

----

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 12, 2018 01:17PM
I haven't had any problems but haven't pushed it hard. just basic color correction and resizing.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 12, 2018 01:41PM
Still on CS6 and no plans to change or "upgrade." I have about 350 licenses left (the school bought 500 CS6 Design Standard licenses about 3 months before the Photo program was discontinued. I'm the only one who thought to keep the activation codes for Windows and Mac. I just installed it on a school desktop after an IT idjit erased the program when he reformatted a drive without seeing what was on it.

I could sell those licenses for a pretty penny, and no one would even know (or likely care). But I don't consider them mine to sell, and I'm not dishonest.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: March 12, 2018 02:19PM
There are several alternatives to Dreamweaver. I have Dreamweaver CS6, but have never gotten around to working with it. If I decide to invest time in building a site, I will put the time into learning something like BlueGriffon or Flux or Coda.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 12, 2018 03:26PM
Ombligo
Still on CS6 and no plans to change or "upgrade." I have about 350 licenses left (the school bought 500 CS6 Design Standard licenses about 3 months before the Photo program was discontinued. I'm the only one who thought to keep the activation codes for Windows and Mac. I just installed it on a school desktop after an IT idjit erased the program when he reformatted a drive without seeing what was on it.

I could sell those licenses for a pretty penny, and no one would even know (or likely care). But I don't consider them mine to sell, and I'm not dishonest.

can I have/buy one?
Posted by: clay
Date: March 12, 2018 03:56PM
hal
Ombligo

can I have/buy one?

Seriously, I'd have use for a couple as well. Happy to pay for them.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 12, 2018 04:10PM
same here
Date: March 12, 2018 04:13PM
Same here. Any way to sell some licenses and use the money to benefit the school in areas of curreent need?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 12, 2018 04:20PM
Sorry guys, I do not consider them mine to sell. The school district paid for them, not me. I have only installed them on school computers or student/employees with a legitimate reason to need it.

Trust me, I wish I my personal ethics would allow me to sell them - at $100 each, I would be getting $35k. In hind sight I wish I had bought the license from my pocket. The school got the 500 license for $5k (and could have bought 1000 for $7k).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 04:23PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 12, 2018 04:30PM
Many government orgs depreciate goods over a span of years, often three. There's a good chance you can get authority to dispose of those licenses, as you see fit.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 12, 2018 05:39PM
Hypothetical question:

If you have a sibling in London and you are in San Francisco, can you share one Adobe subscription with your sibling in London? bye the time you start to use Adobe software in the morning, it is evening in London and they finished their work. Is that even possible?
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: March 12, 2018 06:44PM
tuqqer
I'd love to see a survey of Adobe users, and ask why they don't just purchase a standalone copy of CC 2014 (or whatever the last standalone was), and use that...
Are the newest features really worth that money?

The impetus for many CS upgrade after CS3 was nothing more than keeping up with the Joneses; when your colleagues have the later version, you can't open their build files. The program hasn't changed appreciably in years, and most users probably use just a fraction of that overall functionality.

It's baffling to me that there hasn't been more resistance to the subscription scheme. When Quark pissed off the design community, they almost went out of business, but people nowadays are just rolling over and letting Adobe be a gatekeeper. soapbox smiley

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Date: March 12, 2018 07:44PM
Marc Anthony
The impetus for many CS upgrade after CS3 was nothing more than keeping up with the Joneses; when your colleagues have the later version, you can't open their build files. The program hasn't changed appreciably in years, and most users probably use just a fraction of that overall functionality.

It's baffling to me that there hasn't been more resistance to the subscription scheme. When Quark pissed off the design community, they almost went out of business, but people nowadays are just rolling over and letting Adobe be a gatekeeper. soapbox smiley

CS 6 versions were really much better than CS3.

Its near impossible to "resist" the subscription -- and as I have said man times before, the cost is just another "cost" of doing business.

There are many, many things that have come and gone and new things that we all have to "buy" as business owners. zip drives and discs, 56k modems, second phone lines for a fax, keyboards/mice when macs didn come with them...etc etc.

Now it cell phones, dropbox, web host, internet, online backup, and Adobe CC...

----

Posted by: max
Date: March 12, 2018 09:37PM
jdc
CS 6 versions were really much better than CS3.
True dat, and there was a one major change (I do not remember now what exactly) in PS that made it worthwhile to upgrade to CS6....

jdc
Its near impossible to "resist" the subscription -
Actually it was very easy to resist it,
and after this many years I have yet to receive that has been incompatible with anything in CS6, or see CS6 product that was not unreadable by our printers or fab shops....

"Cost of doing business" can put you out of business if you do not watch your fixed overhead closely....

There are many, many things that have come and gone and that one axiom has been true as much today as it was then....
Date: March 12, 2018 10:39PM
max
Actually it was very easy to resist it,
and after this many years I have yet to receive that has been incompatible with anything in CS6, or see CS6 product that was not unreadable by our printers or fab shops....

I wish it were that easy. =(

With clients all over the country, I get files in every format possible -- although I wish everyone would just send me PDFs. Alas, thats not the case.

Native files are soooooo 10+ years ago.

----

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 13, 2018 01:17AM
M A V I C
Many government orgs depreciate goods over a span of years, often three. There's a good chance you can get authority to dispose of those licenses, as you see fit.

This is true, although schools are sometimes under a different set of regs. Even if it were true, though, the disposition would be done through a purchasing dept or a clearinghouse, not from an individual.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 13, 2018 09:20AM
space-time
Hypothetical question:

If you have a sibling in London and you are in San Francisco, can you share one Adobe subscription with your sibling in London? bye the time you start to use Adobe software in the morning, it is evening in London and they finished their work. Is that even possible?

Each subscription is supposed to be for just ONE person, but you can be signed into two separate devices using the same subscription and applications at the same time, regardless of when or where.

Once you attempt a third login however it will tell you that you have exceeded the limit and you may choose to force the others to log out in order to continue, or you may cancel and manually log out of another at your leisure.

I have a work desktop and laptop which are the primary machines, but I sometimes will use a different desktop and will have to log out of one of the others in order to sign in. Although, assuming you don't quit an application on the machine that has been logged out of (out of Creative Cloud that is) then you may continue using the app for I think 30 days?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 13, 2018 01:30PM
While I still have access to my Adobe CC subscription from the job I just retired from, I'll be losing it at some point in the near future. It's no real concern to me as I have CS 5, 5.5 and 6, LightRoom 4 and Quark 2015 all running beautifully. Knowing I was going to retire and having no interest in paying for Adobe's bloated and at sometimes, funky CC suite, I also bought just about every photo editing app on the market and now own Affinity Photo and Designer, Luminar RAW 2018 and Aurora HDR2018 and On1 Photo RAW 2018. These new photo editing apps can pretty much replace PS and LightRoom at this point and they are getting better with every update.

If Adobe were to ever finish the deblur tool that they were working on I might go for a PS subscription but other than that, there's nothing there I can't get by without.

JoeM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 01:32PM by JoeM.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 13, 2018 02:50PM
I use only Photoshop; nothing else from the suite. I'm still using CS3. Maybe someday I will upgrade to CS6 if I can find a good deal. But I have no interest in a subscription and using only Photoshop maybe affords me the luxury of avoiding a subscription.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015