advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have any experience installing Hardwood Floors 2 1/4" x 3/4" white Oak
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 12, 2018 11:54AM
I had our living room redone, and 1/4 new wood filled in (staggered) to where an old bedroom use to be and then sanded, stained and sealed. But my guy tells me he is not doing the work any longer. Who knows, he didn't really do the work, but had 2 guys come in, and do it. Only saw him at the estimate and he did stain, and seal, and was there for any questions, etc. And gave a better estimate.

Now I have been thinking of possible doing the work myself. Although I will be getting some estimates first.

Anyone chosen to do real wood vs laminate?,
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have any experience installing Hardwood Floors 2 1/4" x 3/4" white Oak
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 12, 2018 12:07PM
I sanded and sealed the white oak in my home before we moved in. It's been about 15 years, so about time to do it again. I didn't install it though.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: Anyone have any experience installing Hardwood Floors 2 1/4" x 3/4" white Oak
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: March 12, 2018 12:16PM
Done it, minus the stain. Kitchen and dining room.
Your question(s) ?
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 12, 2018 01:03PM
Have installed and finished "Southern California*" oak floors in many bedrooms and hallways.

*Most of the country uses 3/4 inch thick -- Southern California homes from the 40's and 50's used 1/2 thick oak. Mass-produced home of those eras typically used #2 red oak.

When we massively remodeled in the early 90's, we matched the flooring in our 1947 tract home. I did all the flooring install on the complete second floor that we added -- about 1600 sq. ft. Also did sanding and polyurethane finishing. When we had the original flooring on the first floor refinished, we hired someone...
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 12, 2018 01:13PM
Yes. Hire an expert!
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 12, 2018 01:23PM
Stick with real wood, it last longer and is easier to repair/refinish. Search the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 01:24PM by Carm.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 12, 2018 01:29PM
I have laminate in my kitchen that is about 15 years old. It just started to not look new after a washing and a spray with laminate cleaner/sealer.

Kneejerk request for more info. What is the current floor? Are you going to need to match an adjoining floor height/stain in a doorway/room transition?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 12, 2018 01:53PM
I commend you for using the real stuff. I'm thinking of doing the same.
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 12, 2018 01:58PM
Current floor is a parquet 1 foot squares, that was laid with that black adhesive. Most will be applied over subfloor in area that is built above ground level. But there is one room that is on the ground, and I am getting an estimate on that as well. 19x13 on concrete.

Want to match the front room, that has been sanded and stained and urethane I think?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 12, 2018 03:49PM
I did plenty of wood floors in the 60's and 70's, and a couple of touch ups in the early 80's. Cleanliness is next to godliness being the key. It's just work, and if you're not afraid of it, go w/ Nike and Just Do It. Any trepidation, hire a pro. Real wood ought to outlast laminate, and if your existing floors are already the real thing, it sounds like a bit of matching, feathering and staining is all that is needed. White oak, especially if left light, is toughest to match. You really have to get the surrounding areas sanded down to bare wood, which has to be done carefully. Even after doing so, it may need to be bleached and re-sanded before continuing. Once the wood is prepped, it'll need to be sealed, lightly re-sanded, cleaned, and tack clothed before staining and finish coated. It's just work, and it can be therapeutic. The power sanding is probably your biggest obstacle, the large disc and drum sanders take a bit of getting used to, so you don't want to learn w/ aggressive grit, go real fine to start with. Once you get the techniques down, it's pretty easy. Hand held sanders for edges and corners are a lot easier to master, and may be all that is needed for a repair job.

If you want to redo a major chunk, and want a different look, laminates and other manufactured wood flooring are way easier in the DIY department, and you may be able to just lay it on top the existing flooring w/ minimal (comparatively speaking) prep work. Downside is if/when it has to be repaired; then the hoops to jump thru to keep the floor matched, favor real wood. All in all, it's a great first world problem to have to deal with. Oh, and if you do DIY it, it's gonna take a fair bit longer than you plan for, and buy lots of extra tack cloths, and borrow some air filters-- you really don't want any dust anywhere near the staining and finishing. Good luck.
==
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 12, 2018 03:57PM
MikeF
Have installed and finished "Southern California*" oak floors in many bedrooms and hallways.

*Most of the country uses 3/4 inch thick -- Southern California homes from the 40's and 50's used 1/2 thick oak. Mass-produced home of those eras typically used #2 red oak.

When we massively remodeled in the early 90's, we matched the flooring in our 1947 tract home. I did all the flooring install on the complete second floor that we added -- about 1600 sq. ft. Also did sanding and polyurethane finishing. When we had the original flooring on the first floor refinished, we hired someone...

3/4" original Red Oak #2 here in Seattle too. Never refinished. Covered by wall to wall shag since mid 70's. Wanna BEAT THE CRAP out of the idiots who glued down the padding. I mean baseball bat and plumbing pipe time. (1966? Furnace install permit says 1967, county says '66.)

baseball bat smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 04:52PM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015