advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA - Discover Card Dropped Extended Warranty and Other Perks
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 12, 2018 03:40PM
I missed seeing any notice of this, but my son came across mention recently that Discover Card has ended extended warranty, purchase protection, and some other card benefits effective the end of February. For those of us who have used it, this may make a difference in which card you want to us for purchases of higher priced electronics and other goods.

They have been kind of sneaky about it, even recent (within a couple months) ads I have seen mentioned these benefits as coming with the card. I will have to look through recent statements, I did not spot any notice of the pending change in them. But I could have missed it. They did not even send a notice to the online account service page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 04:03PM by JoeH.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA - Discover Card Dropped Extended Warranty and Other Perks
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 12, 2018 03:46PM
Perhaps it is only for certain types of Discover Credit Cards?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 12, 2018 03:49PM
Nothing sent to me in my e-mail. I get electronic statements. Doesn't mean I didn't miss it though.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 12, 2018 03:54PM
Apparently they are not even bothering to update their website:
[www.discover.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 12, 2018 03:59PM
Hmm. Interesting. Here are a couple of reports that back up the original post.

[thepointsguy.com]

[www.creditcards.com]

Either Discover changed their minds since December, or they really are slack about updating their website...
Date: March 12, 2018 04:02PM
Yes they still show the benefit and how to use it, but if you are logged in and click on the benefit to get the information page you will then get the notice they ended on the 28th. I assume they have to leave up the info on how to make a claim because for example the warranty extension should still apply to purchases made before that date. It applied on warranties up to 3 years.

Oh, and the reason given on the web page that comes up is that it was used by few customers. I would think that would be the best possible for Discover, not used often so they can get the insurance coverage cheap, and they get to list it as a benefit.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: March 12, 2018 04:03PM
Yup, found it here: [www.creditcards.com]

Discover cuts benefits

Purchase protection: Purchases made before Feb. 28, 2018, will be covered; no claims can be made after July 13, 2018. Insures damaged or stolen purchases up to $500 for 90 days after purchase.

Return guarantee: Coverage applies to purchases made prior to Feb. 28, 2018; no claims after May 29, 2018. Helps get money back on unsatisfactory items within 90 days, up to $500 per item and $2,500 a year.

Extended product warranty: Purchases made before Feb. 28, 2018, will be covered. Covers additional year after original warranty expires, for eligible items with warranties 36 months or less.

Auto rental insurance: Coverage applies for auto rental purchases that post prior to Feb. 28, 2018; no claims after May 29, 2018. Secondary insurance for loss or damage up to $25,000.

Flight accident: Coverage applies for incidents that happened prior to Feb. 28, 2018. Travel accident coverage up to $500,000 when buying airline tickets.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 12, 2018 04:11PM
Okay, thanks. Discover gets demoted to groceries and gas.
Date: March 12, 2018 04:17PM
riley5108

Flight accident: Coverage applies for incidents that happened prior to Feb. 28, 2018. Travel accident coverage up to $500,000 when buying airline tickets.

I used to use Discover for all airline tickets for this exact reason. No more I guess.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2018 04:29PM
.....so a big disappointed......just like 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country'.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 12, 2018 04:31PM
NewtonMP2100
.....so a big disappointed......just like 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country'.....???
Oh hey, that was a GREAT movie ! Hamlet ! In the ORIGINAL KLINGON !
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 12, 2018 04:49PM
That reminds me, I need to track down the full details of the coverage offered by my REI card.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: March 12, 2018 07:37PM
NewtonMP2100

Yeah, but Sulu's scenes make it worth watching...

Captain Hikaru Sulu: In range?

Helmsman Lojur: Not yet sir.

Captain Hikaru Sulu: Come on, come on.

Helmsman Lojur: She'll fly apart!

Captain Hikaru Sulu: *Fly her apart then!*
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 12, 2018 08:43PM
I used it for the airline insurance perk, too. Might be time to jettison Discover. The cashback is very skimpy compared to other rewards cards.
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 12, 2018 10:06PM
Glad to get this info. I'm paying down some debt I incurred when unemployed, don't expect to use Discover much more anyway. My account with them has been hacked three imes in the last ten years. No Discover, I didn't move to Las Vegas and spend $600 on club memberships and fishing equipment.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: March 13, 2018 09:37AM
Acer
I used it for the airline insurance perk, too. Might be time to jettison Discover. The cashback is very skimpy compared to other rewards cards.

Although they do have quarterly 5% Cashback incentives, and their integration with Amazon is nice.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 13, 2018 10:00AM
mikebw
Acer

Although they do have quarterly 5% Cashback incentives, and their integration with Amazon is nice.

Yeah, but that requires (1) Signing up each quarter (2) Remembering to use the card in that particular category. This does remind me that there are some vendors (Apple Store was one, is it still?) that honor the 5% all the time. I guess I'll keep it.
Date: March 13, 2018 10:31AM
Yes, the 5% Cashback bonus deal is still there for Apple purchases. Just have to login into the Discover Card site, select the deal, and then use its connection to go to the Apple Store. Just a few exclusions:

EXCEPTIONS: HomePod, Apple Developer programs, gift cards, gift wrap, Bose, products to non-end users/purchases for resale, more than 5 of an eligible product, employee programs, more than 2 iPhones within 30 days, shipping, taxes and fees

That deal combined with the warranty extension is why I have only used Discover for Apple purchases over the last 10 or so years. But without the warranty extension, I may switch to another card that also has offered 5% back on Apple purchases. Just will have to check and see if it has warranty extensions as part of its card benefits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015