advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Inquiring Mind
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: March 12, 2018 05:08PM
Yup, I'm that dumb. I posted this in the "sale/free" side....

What's it mean in the description of the Mac Mini I'm looking at that it's a "server"?

What does "2.50GHz / Turbo 3.1GHz" mean?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Inquiring Mind
Posted by: bik
Date: March 12, 2018 05:12PM
If it was truly a server version, it came with the Apple server software and (more importantly to most) has two internal drives.

The speed thing:
All intel chips these days have a "turbo" speed, but it's not always discussed. It's the max speed you can get out of a single core under certain conditions.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: March 12, 2018 05:46PM
From the speed specs, it’s a 2012 Mini with a 2.5 GHz i5 CPU. There was never an i5 Mini that was sold as a server - they were all i7 Minis.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 12, 2018 05:56PM
Hey, I've got one of those dual-disk i7 Minis. Can I ask what the one you're looking at is going for?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 12, 2018 07:00PM
The top 1-core turbo speed is usually never seen except in benchmarks as you're always using more than one core for modern processing. That said, the 2-core turbo (or 4-core on those models) is usually not a whole lot lower than the single core turbo speed and thus usually quite a bit higher than the nominally listed speed. In fact the only reason that chips don't run at their turbo speeds continually is the quality of the cooling. In that Mac Mini, it will run at it's max turbo speed ad infinitum in a reasonably cool room as the Mini has a good cooler for it's laptop chips.

As an example, my quad core 2.6 GHz Mini will run at it's max turbo 3.4GHz with all cores at 100% in Handbrake in a 68° room. But just barely. Put the room to 74° and it can do 3.2 GHz, go to 90° and it will manage 2.8 or so GHz. Yeah, I tested it when the A/C went out but only did that for about 5 minutes before I chickened out. It was oscillating between 2,8 and 2.9 and looked like it was going to flatten out at about 2.8. Still above the nominal 2.6 GHz speed in a 90° room.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: March 12, 2018 09:04PM
I have an i7 quad core at work with 16 GB of ram and I like it.

At home I have an old 2.1 mini, I was looking to replace it with as fast a mini as I could afford.

So I'm going to try and find an i7 quad core.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

If anyone else has anything to add or a suggestion, I'm here to learn!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018