Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple hit new high today in race toward $1T market cap
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 12, 2018 05:43PM
[seekingalpha.com]

"Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) hit a new high today as shares bumped $182 intraday before slipping back down slightly.

The move put Apple’s market cap over $925B, ahead of Alphabet and Amazon, in the race towards the $1T mark.

Apple shares closed the day up 1% to $181.72.

Previously: Apple Music hits 38M paid subscribers; Apple orders first animated series (March 12)"

Also:

"Trump issues order to block Broadcom takeover of Qualcomm

Mar. 12, 2018 6:32 PM ET|About: Broadcom Limited (AVGO)|By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor
President Trump has issued an order to block Broadcom's (NASDAQ:AVGO) hostile takeover of Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM).

Shares of Broadcom are flat after hours; QCOM is down 1% in postmarket trade.

It's a permanent block -- any merger or takeover attempt "substantially equivalent" to the proposed deal is also prohibited, according to the order, which CFIUS issued and the president signed."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 05:44PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple hit new high today in race toward $1T market cap
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 12, 2018 05:49PM
Hey, Apple, fix the freaking OSes. And design some Macs that are robust and useful and versatile.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2018 05:53PM
.....hit it....then quit it.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 12, 2018 05:57PM
IMO, AAPL should have already have hit the $1T market cap. I feel currently, it's way undervalued.

Apple will be the first to hit 1 trillion, and I expect that to happen sometime before the end of this year.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 12, 2018 06:25PM
If the shares outstanding of 5,134,312,000 that I'm finding is correct, then the magic price is $194.769/share to pass $1T.

Given that it only needs to move up another $13 or so (about 7%), it would not be surprising to see that happen this year.
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 12, 2018 06:42PM
ka jowct
Hey, Apple, fix the freaking OSes. And design some Macs that are robust and useful and versatile.

Some examples of robust and useful and versatile:

1) A pro laptop that has more than one kind of port!
2) A tower that is expandable, able to add standard component cards and drives
3) The ability to play modern HD digital video media without requiring an internet connection (I think they call it "Bluray?")
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 12, 2018 06:48PM
It is strange to see Amazon even compared to Apple. Apple, Amazon and Google all reported results on 12/31/17. Apple reported $20billion profit, Amazon report $1.8billion and Alphabet (Google) reported -$3billion. Apple should probably be buying back shares at a faster clip or returning money more aggressively through dividends. I'm a long AAPL shareholder, but jeez...what are they planning to do with hundreds of billions of dollars in the bank?

[www.cbsnews.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: March 12, 2018 07:01PM
ztirffritz
what are they planning to do with hundreds of billions of dollars in the bank?

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: March 12, 2018 08:02PM
I was hoping for a special dividend on the repatriated funds. Something on the order of $10/share minimum. That would be about 50 billion and would leave plenty left for share buybacks, increasing the regular dividend and acquisitions. Guess it still may happen but not holding my breath!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 12, 2018 08:34PM
gabester
ka jowct

3) The ability to play modern HD digital video media without requiring an internet connection (I think they call it "Bluray?")

A laptop keyboard that can’t be destroyed by a particle of dust, requiring a ridiculous repair.

There’s a lot of discussion of the mysteries of USB-C at Macintouch, including different approaches to labeling the cables so that folks can keep them straight. How is this crap productive? I don’t want to ever have to deal with this.
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 12, 2018 08:35PM
ztirffritz
what are they planning to do with hundreds of billions of dollars in the bank?

Given the lack of interesting new product ideas from within Apple, they're going to rely on that cash hoard to survive until they hit their next big thing as Amazon and others slowly carve them up with cloud-data utilizing intelligent assistants.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 13, 2018 12:45PM
gabester
ka jowct

These are the reasons all of our laptops in the company are PC. Over 20 of them. We need 3 or 4 USB ports, we need a video port for a monitor.

I have 6 Mac Pro towers and IF they made a new tower I would probably buy them, but our next move is to start moving toward Windows servers with Mac work stations attached. Far too costly to get an expandable Mac.

Tell me about it. Even the latest Mini cannot play 4k video. No problem for a $699 Windows laptop
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 13, 2018 01:37PM
What's interesting about Apple's cash hoard and their plan to become cash neutral is that as they buy back more shares, the dividend/share will increase. That makes the shares more appealing and worth more which makes people pay more for them, which makes Apple worth more...it's like taking an established 40 year old company back to startup levels of hype.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 13, 2018 03:04PM
they're going to rely on that cash hoard to survive

I think 'rely' isn't a problem; same with 'survive'. Everybody, especially analysts want the Next Big Thing from Apple (and only Apple) on a regular basis. Nobody sweats Samsung coming out with yet another phone that basically the same every other phone with one or two tweaks or new features that are evolutionary, not revolutionary.

And I'm sure Apple knows that they can't live off of phones forever. They don't tend to drive on only the low-beams. They're of a chess player than a checkers player. They may not make the gear I want or make it exactly the way I want, but I'm not a bit worried about their 'survival'. They'll be just fine.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015