Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Don't try to hit and run in Miami
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 12, 2018 07:36PM
[jalopnik.com]
Watch the video in the link for more details.

An Infiniti QX70 driver in Miami crashed into a bunch of cars, and then apparently tried to escape. But a group of angry citizens ran him down, and wrecked his already-crashed SUV, with one guy using a sledgehammer to inflict the karmic, vigilante justice.

ABC Local 10 has this whole shitshow on camera, with the scene beginning moments after the Infiniti drove into oncoming traffic and crashed into “several cars”:

After the driver puts the SUV—whose front fascia is dangling from the crash— into reverse, and tries heading down a side street, a number of people begin banging on the car, trying to get the driver to stop. One guy breaks the passenger-side door handle off, and another appears to shove a pistol into his pocket as he approaches the car.

Towards the end of the video, a guy from a Chevrolet Express cargo van breaks out a sledgehammer and does work on the Infiniti’s windows. Here’s a look at just the window-smashing:

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Don't try to hit and run in Miami
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 12, 2018 08:04PM
Hammer dude lucky driver didnt have a gun. could have shot him and pleaded self defense easily.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 12, 2018 08:20PM
I wandered over a few posts on Jalopnik and found:
- What was your strangest road trip encounter

This entry very closely matched one of my dad's driving experiences in Italy about 35 years ago (not the hungover part).

Doctor Bill
Unplanned road trip from Venice to Pisa, 2005.

I wake up, super hungover, and realize I’m going to miss the train from Venice to Pisa to catch my plane back to the UK where I lived at the time.

Long story short, it made more sense to rent a car and drive to Pisa than changing everything else around. So I find the rental car company nearest my hotel in downtown Venice and pay €360 for the privilege of driving 200 miles in a Renault Clio. And not one of the fun Clios. A Fleet Clio.

So I’m on the A13 en route to Pisa and I go to pass a truck in my Fleet Clio, which is not exactly a monster between 50 and 70, and next thing I know there is a lunatic in a grey Volvo 850R wagon an inch off my bumper blaring his horn and flashing his lights.

I get around the truck as fast as I can and immediately get right to allow this guy to pass. He gets in right behind me and continues blaring his horn and flashing his lights. Then he takes off, gets right in front of me and brake checks me hard, still blaring his goddamn horn. THEN he falls back alongside me and starts yelling at me through his open window, STILL BLARING THE HORN. It is summer in Italy and my Fleet Clio has no AC, so my window is also open. I have no idea what he’s saying, so the only thing I can think to do is scream “Sorry! I’m not from here!” as loud as I possibly can. The guy hears me, his face completely changes, he starts laughing, and he takes off.

I doubt he understood what I said, but all it took was hearing my English for him to realize that I was just an idiot foreigner and that he could cut me some slack. The lesson here is always double check your side mirror before passing in an underpowered French econobox while in Italy.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: hal
Date: March 12, 2018 10:17PM
I am never going to go to florida
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 13, 2018 04:24AM
Mob mentality is so much fun.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 13, 2018 07:48AM
You would think taking a cellphone picture of the plate would have been enough.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 13, 2018 08:25AM
deckeda
You would think taking a cellphone picture of the plate would have been enough.
Plate AND Driver. To avoid the "Hey my car was stolen and I think the dude crashed it".
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 13, 2018 08:38AM
Story needs a Florida Man headline, even if the driver is female.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 13, 2018 08:47AM
Wow, a community where people don't live on safe place pedestals and actually try to help their fellow man.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 13, 2018 09:53AM
How about those Infinity windows, huh? Impressive!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 13, 2018 11:10AM
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 13, 2018 12:58PM
mikebw

That was my thought, too.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 13, 2018 01:02PM
Speedy
mikebw

That was my thought, too.

They are obviously shaded, so maybe not the standard glass, bulletproof even?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 13, 2018 02:15PM
Higher end cars tend to have windows that are tough to break. A friend locked his keys in his BMW, late at night, while a long way from home. He couldn't track down a locksmith. He found a hammer and decided to break a window to get in. No matter what he tried, he could break a side window. He then tried a cinder block. It still didn't work. He waited until morning and found a locksmith who said there was no way he was going to break the window that way. A center punch would do it, but not much else.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: March 13, 2018 02:38PM
A center punch would do it, but not much else.

LOVE spring-loaded center punches. Some batons have a metal button on the bottom to help break windows, but aren't approved by a lot of police departments. A spring-loaded punch is easily carried.

The glass is shattered but almost all of it stays in the frame. Then it's easily knocked out by a gloved hand. No flying bits to cut or get into anyone's eyes.

Swinging a sledge hammer is problematic on a few levels, not the least of propelling glass into someone's face and eyes. Or break the handle on the B pillar, and the head goes flying. Maybe not likely...

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: March 13, 2018 02:50PM
...and actually try to help their fellow man.

It's a property crime. The article noted no injuries. ID the driver, get a plate. There was no need to risk injury to anybody, vigilantes or suspect.

Hammer dude lucky driver didnt have a gun. could have shot him and pleaded self defense easily.

Exactly. It would have been a tragedy for Hammed Dude to die needlessly over what started out as a property crime.

Pistol Dude showed some common sense in putting the gun away. That could have been tragic as well.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 13, 2018 03:06PM
M A V I C
Higher end cars tend to have windows that are tough to break. A friend locked his keys in his BMW, late at night, while a long way from home. He couldn't track down a locksmith. He found a hammer and decided to break a window to get in. No matter what he tried, he could break a side window. He then tried a cinder block. It still didn't work. He waited until morning and found a locksmith who said there was no way he was going to break the window that way. A center punch would do it, but not much else.

Heh! Sounds like my brother! I sold him an old Plymouth police cruiser I bought for transportation after totaling out my daily driver a few years earlier. It was a tank, but only got something like 9 miles to the gallon, so I finally replaced the cruiser and sold it to my bro. He stopped at a party store one night and locked his keys inside while the car was running. He asked the clerk for a hammer, as his first thought was to break out the window.

He couldn't understand why the hammer only bounced off the glass, no matter how hard he tried to break it. smiley-laughing001

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 13, 2018 03:40PM
.....so the life lesson for guys here is.....DO NOT.........hit it......then quit it.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 13, 2018 04:00PM
He couldn't understand why the hammer only bounced off the glass, no matter how hard he tried to break it.

A big part of that, besides a larger impact area more easily dissipating the energy across the glass, is the window moulding absorbing some of that energy. Place that glass on some bricks and it's a different story.

This and it's various iterations will work pretty well:

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 13, 2018 04:21PM
Filliam H. Muffman
The lesson here is always double check your side mirror before passing in an underpowered French econobox while in Italy.

Yep. I had a Fiat 500 in Italy. You had to make sure there was nobody approaching.

The "500" stood for the number of seconds it took to pass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015