advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Interesting message from an eBay buyer to me
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 13, 2018 02:41PM
Ongoing clear out due to downsizing and I had for sale an old microcassette voice recorder, had to be at least 20 years old. He was checking that I would be sending it promptly as:

I have a meeting on Tuesday 20/03/18 which they have just sprung on me the fact that you cannot use your phone or any internal memory dictaphone (which I already have), it has to be the good old cassette dictaphone as they say you can digitally mess around with the newer type.

Anyone have that restriction placed on them? What other new technology is banned on occasions and how old a technology have you been asked to use?

Paul

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Interesting message from an eBay buyer to me
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 13, 2018 02:44PM
No phones inside NSA, but I suppose a tape voice recorder might be allowed. secret smiley
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 13, 2018 03:18PM
I'm thinking some sort of legal proceeding where the original recording can have a chain of custody so it can be determined whether anything has been altered.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 13, 2018 03:26PM
Grateful Dead were well known for allowing taping at their concerts. They eventually made it a part of the operation and had a specific zone and tickets for tapers.

When digital came in to being, they drew the line there - no digital recordings were allowed back then. I think they (the remaining guys still performing) allow digital now...

It's true that any amateur can edit digital audio to make it sound like a guy said anything they want him to say. Much harder to do it seamlessly with real tape.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 13, 2018 03:37PM
'...as they say you can digitally mess around with the newer type.'

It would be tough to accomplish the same with analog tape, at least to the point where it would be hard to detect.

Still, it seems like a odd restriction since it would be easy to have a control copy of the meeting. Cassettes would be easy to collect if the meeting went bad and they had to be confiscated.

The use of 'dictaphone' is curious, or is that a common word in other countries. I think I've seen it used in '40s US movies.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 13, 2018 08:37PM
RAMd®d
'...as they say you can digitally mess around with the newer type.'

It would be tough to accomplish the same with analog tape, at least to the point where it would be hard to detect.

Not really. Digitize, edit, record back to tape.

QED.

Wouldn't fool a good forensic analysis, but not many people would pay for a good forensic analysis.

But if there's need for a demonstrable "chain of custody," tape is often considered the best "original" to have.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 14, 2018 06:28AM
Not really.

Well, really actually. Yes, hard for a lay person with no training in analyzing tape, but ultimately detectable.

This just does't feel like a chain of custody scenario at a meeting, where all attending are advised to use tape. It's my assumption that more than one person would be taping because the use of 'you/your' and not 'I/my'. But maybe.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015