advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Now, United kills puppies... Remind me why ANYONE flies United?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 13, 2018 05:44PM
[www.independent.co.uk]

I'd launch into a rant here, but this just leaves me speechless for right now. They made the passenger put a 10mo old puppy in the OVERHEAD BIN for the entire flight - puppy died.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Now, United kills puppies... Remind me why ANYONE flies United?
Posted by: billb
Date: March 13, 2018 05:53PM
I don't have a problem with people taking their precious little "emotional support animal" on a plane with them, but it should be in a cage and in it's own paid for seat.
And a exorbitant fee for cleaning pizz and zhit.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 13, 2018 06:05PM
I guess that should serve as warning not to put young children in overhead bins like we did with our kids. Of course, we checked on them periodically but at least the bins muffled their crying.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 13, 2018 06:15PM
The tabloid outrage factor is large here. Poor judgment of a flight attendant does not have any bearing on a worldwide corporation unless it is shown that the flight attendant was following a company policy. I suggest staying calm and using mainstream news sources and ignoring tabloid outrage posted on social media.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 13, 2018 06:35PM
davester
The tabloid outrage factor is large here. Poor judgment of a flight attendant does not have any bearing on a worldwide corporation unless it is shown that the flight attendant was following a company policy. I suggest staying calm and using mainstream news sources and ignoring tabloid outrage posted on social media.

It does when virtually all of the moron flight attendants seem to work for ONE airline...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 13, 2018 06:56PM
I hate all the stupid things United does, but honestly, I still fly with them (once a year) because they are the only airline that flies non-stop to my destination.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 13, 2018 08:08PM
Paul F.
davester

It does when virtually all of the moron flight attendants seem to work for ONE airline...

This is the same logic that we apply to Florida...fair or not...

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 13, 2018 08:26PM
davester

There's less evidence that the world is round.

The issue is that United treats their flight attendants worse than other airlines. For the most part that means good flight attendants find jobs elsewhere. United is not willing to do what it takes to have good flight attendants.

So while I get that you're saying bad judgement on the flight attendant's part is not company policy, the fact United has so many flight attendants with bad judgement is because of their corporate policies. I'm sure there's no corporate policies for putting puppies in the overhead. But there are policies that ensure anyone who cares about doing a good job will find employment elsewhere.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 13, 2018 09:45PM
Seems to me I read flight attendants get paid only for the time they are in the air. But the forum has a member who is the husband of a flight attendant and would know: Buzz?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 13, 2018 10:08PM
M A V I C
davester

There's less evidence that the world is round.

The issue is that United treats their flight attendants worse than other airlines. For the most part that means good flight attendants find jobs elsewhere. United is not willing to do what it takes to have good flight attendants.

So while I get that you're saying bad judgement on the flight attendant's part is not company policy, the fact United has so many flight attendants with bad judgement is because of their corporate policies. I'm sure there's no corporate policies for putting puppies in the overhead. But there are policies that ensure anyone who cares about doing a good job will find employment elsewhere.

It's not as simple as that. The merger with Continental still isn't finished. There is still two systems of employment amongst flight crews. One advancing employees into senior positions faster than the other. I won't push this thread onto the other side by opening the corruption of regulatory government can of worms that got the last CEO fired. Add to that reduced flight crew sizes and squeezing more passengers onto planes. You've got flight crews harboring resentments taking care of patients that are becoming more and more unruly inpart due to the intentional disruptive divisiveness of social and mainstream media .
I've flown the East and Gulf Coast for my job for 25 years and the behaviour of passengers on planes has become reprehensible in the last ten.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 14, 2018 08:17AM
Don't blame the mother/owner. She was traveling with a 10-ish year old daughter, a newborn baby, stroller, diaper bag, carryon and the small dog in an airline approved pet carrier that fits under the seat in front. I can easily imagine she just said ok to get through the stressful flight.

If I was a passenger on the flight witnessing this, I (as a passenger) would not have known that the overhead bins were nearly airtight. And a small dog would suffocate in there. Yes, it would be miserable. But not deadly. I would've thought, Geez, that sucks for the dog. And I wouldn't have thought any more of it. It can't be any worse than putting the dog in the cargo hold, right? Now we know.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 14, 2018 08:46AM
3d
Don't blame the mother/owner. She was traveling with a 10-ish year old daughter, a newborn baby, stroller, diaper bag, carryon and the small dog in an airline approved pet carrier that fits under the seat in front. I can easily imagine she just said ok to get through the stressful flight.

If I was a passenger on the flight witnessing this, I (as a passenger) would not have known that the overhead bins were nearly airtight. And a small dog would suffocate in there. Yes, it would be miserable. But not deadly. I would've thought, Geez, that sucks for the dog. And I wouldn't have thought any more of it. It can't be any worse than putting the dog in the cargo hold, right? Now we know.
One question a lot of people have had is why she didn’t check on her dog while in flight. I’ve heard one report on our local news saying that turbulence kept people buckled in their seats. Anyone else hear the same?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 14, 2018 11:38AM
Blankity Blank
3d

One question a lot of people have had is why she didn’t check on her dog while in flight. I’ve heard one report on our local news saying that turbulence kept people buckled in their seats. Anyone else hear the same?

If she had a newborn baby I can imagine why she didn't check on the dog.
Posted by: decay
Date: March 14, 2018 11:57AM
[www.marketwatch.com]

United had the most animal deaths of all U.S. airlines in 2017 for the third year in a row on scheduled domestic or international passenger flight, according to the latest Department of Transportation data. It had 18 deaths of animals in 2017, a sharp increase on the 9 animal deaths reported the year before, and 13 animal injuries, one less than the previous year, meaning it had 2.4 incidents involving the transportation of animals per 10,000 in 2017.

Delta Air Lines DAL, -0.58% had 1 animal deaths on flights in 2017, down from 5 deaths the year before, and 1 injury, down from 5 injuries in 2016, equating to 0.52 incidents per 10,000. American Airlines AAL, -0.92% had 2 deaths of animals last year, versus 1 death the year before, and 1 injury last year. Last year, Alaska Airlines ALK, -2.89% also reported 2 animal deaths and 1 loss of an animal.

Other airlines have improved their track record in transporting animals. In 2017, Hawaiian Airlines HA, -1.52% had no deaths or injuries. In 2016, that airline had 3 deaths of animals and no injuries. In 2017, both Alaska ALK, -2.89% and Skywest Airlines SKYW, -0.67% also had no reported deaths or injuries of animals. The year before, both of those airlines had 2 animal deaths each and each had one animal injury.

All other airlines had animal deaths in single digits. An “animal” for this purpose is any animal being kept as a pet in a family household in the U.S. or any dog or cat shipped as part of a commercial shipment on a scheduled passenger flight. (The price to bring a pet on a flight can range from $100 to $2,500, depending on the pet, the carriage and the airline.)

United has a bad track record when it comes to animal deaths on its flights. Last year, it launched a similar probe into an incident after a three-foot Continental Rabbit named Simon, one of the world’s biggest rabbits, was found dead on a flight from the London Heathrow airport when the airplane landed at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport. In that case, the animals was reportedly traveling in the cargo hold.

In relation to the latest incident of the dog in the overhead bin, United told MarketWatch: “This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin. We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them. We are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again.”

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 11:58AM by decay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015