advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Holy mother of God. I Need A Windows computer
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 13, 2018 08:19PM
A client who knows all and pays for all tells us we need to be on Windows.

Where does one shop for a Windows box ala an iMac all in one these days?

This feels quite weird.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Holy mother of God. I Need A Windows computer
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 13, 2018 08:30PM
BootCamp is one option if you don't want to buy new hardware.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 13, 2018 08:33PM
Like a 27" iMac?

HP Envy, $2000, Dell XPS 27, $2000+ or microsoft surface studio, $3000+

You can still get that 2015 iMac for $1299 and run windows on it...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 13, 2018 10:44PM
I have a cheap HP box in my office and use Remote Access on my Mac to connect when I absolutely have to have a windows environment.

And I just use a cloud file service (Dropbox, OneDrive) to sync files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 10:44PM by sekker.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 13, 2018 11:27PM
What screen size, resolution, OS, and price range?

If you don't need to quickly restart back into macOS, you don't need Boot Camp to run Windows on a Mac.

$1950 - 34" 3440 x 1440 HP AIO with 7th gen CPU

$290 - 23" 1080p HP AIO 2nd gen CPU

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 14, 2018 12:33AM
Or you can buy VMware Fusion and run Windows when ever you want, with the MacOS still running, and switch back and forth by simply clicking on a window in either OS. I routinely copy text from a DOS program I use in WinXP and paste it into TextEdit on the Mac side for printing because there is no print driver for the DOS program.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 14, 2018 05:27AM
We have to have at least a single Windows machine for my work. It's not ala iMac, but I buy a cheap Windows laptop, typically from Office Depot, whenever my old one goes south. The last couple were Dell Inspiron 15's. When I went there 2 years ago to replace one, they had a Toshiba Satellite on clearance with a rebate than brought the net cost to $280. I liked the keyboard more than the Dell's so I bought it. It's been flawless for these 2 years. It's now past the doubled-warranty period so when it gets flaky, I'll repeat.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 14, 2018 07:46AM
You have the best Windows computer sitting in front of you in any Mac you have.

Each of my kids run Windows (mixture of 7 and 10) on their iMacs (all are 2013 models) via Boot Camp. My eldest runs some pretty intensive games on it and does coding and graphics design on his Windows side (all under Win7). The others run 10 and use it for custom programs for school as well as gaming.

Biggest recommendations are to increase your RAM and consider you drive/storage size. For my kids, 1TB is a bit on the small side but they make it work (though my eldest, with the programming & etc., has an external OWC drive for all his Windows document-type (non-OS) stuff).

same as it ever was
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 14, 2018 08:27AM
A used iMac is something I hadn't considered.

Anyone see anything here that passes MRF muster for a hopefully cheap iMac?

[minneapolis.craigslist.org]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 14, 2018 08:49AM
chopper-

It would help a lot if you gave us some idea of what work you're doing on it, and how much you want to spend. Help us help you: How much do you want to spend????

Here are some generic guidelines:

You want a Fusion drive, or get an SSD installed, or being willing to boot off Thunderbolt or USB 3 from an external SSD (though I'm not sure how that works with bootcamp). Current versions of mac os need an SSD/Fusion drive to run acceptably. Pure spinning disks won't cut it.

You want a 24" or 27" screen. Yes, some 21" are acceptable, but they are recent/more expensive, and I don't know which models those are.

At a very rough guess, these are likely doable, but you need to see if they have an SSD, and if they run current versions of mac os and bootcamp. I'd bargain hard on the 2011 one:

Posted by: pdq
Date: March 14, 2018 09:36AM
Used PCs are cheap and plentiful on eBay, because businesses are forever replacing them. A couple years ago, after tiring of dealing with quirky Windows and PC related gotchas (despite having a boot camp partition) for my wife’s small business, I got a compact Dell off eBay for around $50. I added a KVM switch, and now she can just switch back and forth as needed with a single button press.

She can’t cut and paste between the two sides, but I did set up an alias/shortcut on both desktops where she can drag files that get copied to the other.

Looks like you can easily find a Win7 i5 (previous gen) for under $100 delivered with Buy It Now, and if you had some time, you can probably do better looking for an auction or local pickup, since shipping is often a good chunk of the total cost.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 14, 2018 11:32AM
FWIW, I've bought several Win 7 licenses (fully legal/legit) from a distributor on eBay for about $5 to $10. They're no longer in demand, so they're liquidating them pretty cheap. (FWIW, you have to have (or have access to) a regular Win 7 installer (even one that's been used by someone else) but when the license entry comes up, you have to have a unique key/license.)

same as it ever was
Posted by: decay
Date: March 14, 2018 12:06PM
[support.microsoft.com]

Windows 7, SP1
End of extended support
January 14, 2020

www.microcenter.com has off-lease PCs starting at $100 with Windows installed.

---
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 14, 2018 01:54PM
I might be in the market myself, for a small, bare bones PC.

All I want (well, need not want), is something that will attach (internally) to a 3.5" HD and let me run GRC's Spinrite. Gibson is supposed to eventually release a Mac version (6.1?) but there's no ETA.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 01:55PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: March 14, 2018 09:25PM
arrowdirect.com - you can get a dirt cheap i3 or i5 and then pair it with whatever monitor you want.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 242
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015