advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Local campus dumping Mac minis
Posted by: TLB
Date: March 16, 2018 12:39PM
Since its introduction, local university has used dual boot Mac minis in all classrooms and conference rooms for instructor presentations and web access--and promoted the fact heavily. Today, they announced they would abandoned them in favor of Windows PCs. They cited the uncertainty of the Mac mini platform and inability of Apple to commit to upgrading the mini platform or producing a suitable follow on computer. This is a very Mac friendly campus so I don't think this is some type of IT power grab. I guess more than just graphics professionals are concerned about Apple's interest in the computer side of the house.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Local campus dumping Mac minis
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 16, 2018 12:40PM
Time to pick up a few dozen and sell them here !
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 16, 2018 12:50PM
Totally justified. My kids school replaced all their minis (2010s?) with 21" iMacs, but dont think they were really happy about it. They are double the cost. I think the fact they lasted 8 years was a tipping point, but still the cost was an issue.

Apples iphone blinders are bigger than ever =(

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: March 16, 2018 12:55PM
cbelt3

agree smiley
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 16, 2018 01:00PM
The real question is how freakin hard is it for Apple to release an updated mini?
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 16, 2018 01:10PM
<<Apples iphone blinders are bigger than ever>>>

100%.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 16, 2018 01:17PM
Yes, the current model Mac Mini dates from over 3 years ago, an updated model based on the Kaby Lake processors is overdue. But at this point if Apple is going to refresh the Mini they might be waiting on the next generation CPU's from Intel.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 16, 2018 01:20PM
There's always a new generation of processors to be waiting for.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 16, 2018 01:39PM
In six months, the current mini will be 4 years since the last update. Maybe they are afraid that making one that supports 4K will cannibalize the low end iMac buyers?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 16, 2018 01:45PM
I swear the issue is because Apple no longer has Mac software engineers to make or even refresh products.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 16, 2018 01:56PM
Filliam H. Muffman
In six months, the current mini will be 4 years since the last update. Maybe they are afraid that making one that supports 4K will cannibalize the low end iMac buyers?

My thoughts too. I hope to never buy another iMac, using a Mac mini with a third-party monitor makes more sense to me. But the iMac is probably more profitable for Apple so they'll let the Mac mini die out..

Posted by: sekker
Date: March 16, 2018 02:09PM
March 27 Apple education event scheduled in Chicago. We will see if it’s just cheaper iPads and MBAs
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 16, 2018 02:21PM
sekker
March 27 Apple education event scheduled in Chicago. We will see if it’s just cheaper iPads and MBAs

Or the iThinclient...
Date: March 16, 2018 02:47PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
My thoughts too. I hope to never buy another iMac, using a Mac mini with a third-party monitor makes more sense to me. But the iMac is probably more profitable for Apple so they'll let the Mac mini die out..

You just missed the $1200 2015 27" 5K iMac... (now $1300 [www.ebay.com])

problem I have with an mini is weak CPU, 16 GB ram limit and crap integrated graphics. But Im a graphic designer, so that might not be as important to everyone.

Evne if they introduced a new mini tomorrow, I doubt the price would change. So $1300 for a 2.8/16 GB ram/2 TB Fusion. With no keyboard.

$1300 above gets me a 2wice the mac.

----

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 16, 2018 03:17PM
nwyaker
cbelt3

agree smiley

And tell purchasing, when you pay them, that the Minis are in demand and you'll make a (small) killing. Also mention that when the replacement PCs are obsolete, not to call you but rather just pay to have them recycled.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 16, 2018 03:22PM
jdc
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

You just missed the $1200 2015 27" 5K iMac... (now $1300 [www.ebay.com])

problem I have with an mini is weak CPU, 16 GB ram limit and crap integrated graphics. But Im a graphic designer, so that might not be as important to everyone.

Evne if they introduced a new mini tomorrow, I doubt the price would change. So $1300 for a 2.8/16 GB ram/2 TB Fusion. With no keyboard.

$1300 above gets me a 2wice the mac.

I hear you, I was a graphic designer years ago and would never have settled for the deficiencies of the Mac mini. But now I'm a writer who just uses MS Word (reluctantly, my clients require it), surfs the web and does email. So for me the mini would be OK.

I had a white 2.16 GHz 24" iMac die in less than 6 years due to a faulty video board, economically it made no sense to repair it. So I had to scrap the whole computer, even though the display portion was fine. That pissed me off, as did the smug comment from the young Apple Store employee who said six years was good service life for any computer...

Date: March 16, 2018 03:30PM
Well, 6 years is good. ;)

Ive got a 2006 20" white iMac just sitting... where should I send it...

----

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 16, 2018 03:40PM
I don't like the iMac for the reason mentioned by Yoyodyne. I want to upgrade my non-display hardware separately from my display hardware.

And I don't even consider the Mini any more for the reasons mentioned my everyone here. I've moved to NUCs and in fact most of those run Win10 (!). Right tool for the job. If Apple releases a quad core i5 or i7 Coffee Lake Mini for a reasonable price, I will come back but not until then.

Example cost for for most recent NUC I bought:

NUC7i5 (2.2-3.4GHz) - $300 on sale from Amazon
8GB 2133MHz DDR4 - $90
500GB WDblue 3D m.2 SSD - $110 on sale from Newegg

$500 out the door. Options (most missing from a similar Mini):

Iris Plus graphics (reasonable low end gaming though there are better options for this)
free 2.5" bay (Mini has this)
upgrade to 32GB memory whenever prices cease to be highway robbery
m.2 slot can take either SATA (like the WD I got) or NVMe SSDs to get 3GB/sec transfers
TB3 so among other things, I can game with it using an external GPU (which I have)

I *can* install OS X on it but I won't as I've found that the Broadwell NUCs (I have 2) Hackintosh more easily. Monitor display after waking from sleep has been my issue with newer NUCs.

What's not to love?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 16, 2018 03:44PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
I had a white 2.16 GHz 24" iMac die in less than 6 years due to a faulty video board, economically it made no sense to repair it. So I had to scrap the whole computer, even though the display portion was fine. That pissed me off, as did the smug comment from the young Apple Store employee who said six years was good service life for any computer...

This is why I have disliked the iMac ever since the G4 iLamp. I usually buy a really nice display and use it with 2 or 3 consecutive computers. Apple usually obsoletes a computer at 5 years. My 2405FPW will be 13 in a couple of months.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: March 16, 2018 03:52PM
Speedy
nwyaker
cbelt3

agree smiley

And tell purchasing, when you pay them, that the Minis are in demand and you'll make a (small) killing. Also mention that when the replacement PCs are obsolete, not to call you but rather just pay to have them recycled.

That's a hell of a good point! I buy minis from operations like this all the time. I can see these operations learning as they go. They might drop 10 2011 stock minis for $100 and watch them get snatched up in 10 seconds. The next batch will be $150 and will get snatched up in 10 minutes. There is A LOT of money to be made here if you know what youre doing. The PC eq will fetch $50 at most.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 16, 2018 04:15PM
cbelt3

mos def

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: March 16, 2018 04:40PM
Filliam H. Muffman
This is why I have disliked the iMac ever since the G4 iLamp. I usually buy a really nice display and use it with 2 or 3 consecutive computers. Apple usually obsoletes a computer at 5 years. My 2405FPW will be 13 in a couple of months.

Again, it might depend on use. I would never trust a 13 year old displays color accuracy, for me, thats important, for others, meh.

Its just an upgrade cycle. Buy a 2015 iMac for $1300, sell in 5 years for $900, buy 2017 iMac for $1300, sell in 5 years for $900, etc, etc.

Ive been there and done that, used my 24" Sony GDFW 900 for several years, first on a 9600, then various G4s 533, 867, 933 & dual 1.25 and G5. Then bought a 2405.

But when it came time to upgrade in 2007 new Macpros were tons of money. Even used. With expensive ram.

Bought a 2007 24" iMac. added ram cheap, used the 2405 as second screen. It flew.

Been on the iMac train ever since. From 2007 to a 2010 to a 2014. Maybe 2017 next in a couple of years...

----

Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 16, 2018 04:52PM
In October of 2017, Tim Cook stated that the mini "was important to Apple":
[www.macrumors.com]

Been six months, not a peep. Maybe at the March event? Maybe at WWDC? With the new Mac Pro? Who knows -- whatever "important" means...
Posted by: JPK
Date: March 16, 2018 05:24PM
The life cycle and life cycle costs of any mac are better than any PC.

IT People are like politicians, their #1 responsibility is to keep their jobs and PC's will meet that criteria better.

My local school evaluated iPads vs crappy, cheap 1st generation ACER Chromebooks. I had two friends on the "Technology Evaluation Team" and I told them NOT to go the Chromebook route. They choose the Chromebooks based on getting sold a bill of goods about how the Chromebooks would last three school years. The even sweetened the pot and told parents the kids would be able to keep them after 3 years - when they graduate.
Guess what? Almost all of these ACER required repair or replacement before the school year was out. They only had about a dozen that were in good enough condition to continue to use - and that was because they were new replacement for others that broke!!! They replaced all of the ACER units with Samsung Chromebooks the next year and while they did somewhat better, they had to employ a full time repair tech (at the district's expense) to keep up with repairs & problems. Figure this was a $40-50k position + insurance, pension and other benefits! The replaced all the Samsungs with iPads the 3rd year, required them to be kept in Otterbox Defender cases and guess what. They have had almost zero problems other than the ones that got stepped on or run over or whatever. The probably spend 3X in total costs than if they just would have originally bought the iPads. They also reneged on the "keep the computer" when you graduate promise because they wasted so much time, energy and evaluation resources, they had to keep the iPads to re-use for the next incoming class! I still remind the school board of this on a frequent enough basis that they absolutely hate me!!!!

JPK
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 16, 2018 07:02PM
Count me as also hating the iMac concept. I have a lovely matte-screen, wide gamut 24” 16:10 NEC display that I keep calibrated with an Xrite i1 Display. I could use Spectraview but haven’t felt the need to spring for that thus far. That one monitor serves four computers, attached to an IOgear KVM: my 2010 Mac Pro, the 2006 Mac Pro that I use as a Wayback Machine (Tiger through Lion), and at the moment, two 2012 Minis. At various times in the past, I have had my Smurf, my MDD and my G5 hooked up. Before that, when I still had my old 20” Apple CRT, I usually had 3 or 4 machines hooked up using a Dr. Bott KVM.

We have one active 2009 iMac that I bought from a friend who was going to throw it out. The Other Human has been using it since his 2008 iMac died. I would really like for this one to just die, because it is a monitor that can only be useful to one computer, the one stuck to its backside, and I would prefer to have that space used by a real monitor that could be shared.
Date: March 16, 2018 07:08PM
ka jowct
We have one active 2009 iMac that I bought from a friend who was going to throw it out. The Other Human has been using it since his 2008 iMac died. I would really like for this one to just die, because it is a monitor that can only be useful to one computer, the one stuck to its backside, and I would prefer to have that space used by a real monitor that could be shared.

I use my 2010 iMac as a display for my MBP with Target Display Mode.

[support.apple.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 16, 2018 07:22PM
freeradical
ka jowct

I use my 2010 iMac as a display for my MBP with Target Display Mode.

[support.apple.com]

That works as long as you have a 27" iMac from 2009 or 2010, or a non-Retina model from later years. Not an option at all for models sold since 2015.
Date: March 16, 2018 07:29PM
I get multiple screens (could never live with less than 2) but 4 macs?

Well, you got me there.emoticon-animal-022

----

Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: March 16, 2018 09:08PM
I've got a circa 2007 Dell Vostro Core 2 that came with Win XP. It's now running Win 10 and I upgraded the hard drive to an SSD. The thing has new life. PCs in the past ten years have slowed the aging process as well. If you don't need the latest and greatest graphics card, most of the intel core 2 and up in the past 10 years are adequate. And, unlike the minis, you can easily upgrade them to keep them relevant.
Date: March 17, 2018 12:29AM
sunfalcon
I've got a circa 2007 Dell Vostro Core 2 that came with Win XP. It's now running Win 10 and I upgraded the hard drive to an SSD. The thing has new life. PCs in the past ten years have slowed the aging process as well. If you don't need the latest and greatest graphics card, most of the intel core 2 and up in the past 10 years are adequate. And, unlike the minis, you can easily upgrade them to keep them relevant.

Totally agree. Added SSDs to my familys 2007, 2008 and 2009 iMacs (took a little surgery, but meh) and they are better than new.

All running el cap. Never a complaint.

----

Posted by: DP
Date: March 17, 2018 07:54AM
Sorry, what's a NUC?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 17, 2018 08:06AM
DP
Sorry, what's a NUC?

Next Unit of Computing. Think Mac Mini form factor but much more updated hardware. Typically sold without an OS.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 17, 2018 08:40AM
Regarding the aged mini, I wonder if Apple will take the opportunity soon to introduce a model with an A series processor. They need to @#$%& or get off the pot with them anyway. They’re also rumored to be updating the Air soon. I think it’d be cool to come out with new “low end” offerings running A series chips. Price points could be lower for not having to pay the Intel tax. Intel and boot camp could be a differentiator for pro offerings. Once those processors were stablished on the low end, they could work up to MacBooks and “regular” iMacs. Mac pros, iMac pros, and MacBook pros could remain intel, or even include both processors.
Date: March 17, 2018 11:12AM
macphanatic
DP
Sorry, what's a NUC?

Next Unit of Computing. Think Mac Mini form factor but much more updated hardware. Typically sold without an OS.

Also typically sold without a drive or RAM.
Date: March 17, 2018 02:24PM
freeradical
macphanatic
DP
Sorry, what's a NUC?

Also typically sold without a drive or RAM.

I really wanted to embrace a NUC rather than new iMacs -- even willing to go thru all the steps to make it a hackintosh -- but they have the same limitations as minis

Like 16 GB ram and built in video. Id like more ram and dedicated GPU.

Love the fact they can have a i7 and super fast m.2 drives, but they end up being $1000 easy after you add it all together.

Again, not far from that 2015 iMac above -- and resale vale on a NUC? Horrible. maybe get 25% back if even that.

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 02:24PM by jdc.
Date: March 17, 2018 02:47PM
One thing that's also interesting about the NUCs is that they're being marketed as gaming platforms. I'm not sure why since hardcore gamers will spend more on just on a graphics card than a NUC.

Also, from looking at the specs for the chips in these NUCs, there's only one, the "skull" one, that has a quad core i7 with hyperthreading.

Another problem with these things of course is the thermal constraints of the small form factor.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 17, 2018 09:21PM
jdc
I would never trust a 13 year old displays color accuracy, for me, thats important, for others, meh.

Why would you "trust" it when you can use any number of tools to calibrate it?

Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 17, 2018 11:18PM
sekker

Plastic iPad with Keyboard....iBook?

I think we are near the point where an iPad can do most of what I use my MacBook for.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 17, 2018 11:47PM
freeradical
One thing that's also interesting about the NUCs is that they're being marketed as gaming platforms. I'm not sure why since hardcore gamers will spend more on just on a graphics card than a NUC.

Haven't seen anyone promoting it as such.

Makes a nice Mac-mini-style server and can load it up at less than half what you might spend to outfit a 2014 mini properly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020