advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Auto Insurance headaches
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 20, 2018 04:06AM
Last Wednesday a guy tried to make a fast left between cars and hit my wife's car. Just enough damage to make it unsafe to drive. They exchange information and she starts to call the cops. He says you have what's needed and drives off (dragging his front cowling). We contact his insurance (Progressive) and start a claim the next morning.

Forward in time to today -- He won't return any of Progressive calls, and they won't approve any repairs or a rental until talking to him. So her car sits, we are doing the one car shuffle still waiting for a rental. The Progressive agent won't return our calls. Our insurance says the other guy is at fault and has insurance, so our uninsured driver doesn't apply.

I'll try calling again today, but I'm getting a feeling this is going to be a real headache for the next few weeks.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Auto Insurance headaches
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 20, 2018 04:16AM
I'm glad your wife is okay!

Let your insurer deal with his insurer. Ask for your insurers advice on a rental but I would just get one.

Photos, photos, photos. Video, too. Pics of everything including the plates of cars with potential witnesses. Pics only take 15 seconds, video only a minute.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 20, 2018 04:45AM
Speedy
I'm glad your wife is okay!

Let your insurer deal with his insurer. Ask for your insurers advice on a rental but I would just get one.

Photos, photos, photos. Video, too. Pics of everything including the plates of cars with potential witnesses. Pics only take 15 seconds, video only a minute.

This. If you have uninsured motorist your insurance should take care of you and then get reimbursed from Progressive. If you have an agent rather than a call center, I'd contact that agent directly.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 20, 2018 05:07AM
At this point, I wouldn't deal with Progressive anymore. I would push this issue with your insurance agent. If you need a rental car, contact your agent.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 20, 2018 05:53AM
Call your insurance company, they will follow up and go after the other party
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 20, 2018 06:46AM
Last time something like happened to us, the other ins co said, “If our customer does not return our calls, we’ll still fix your car and we’ll cancel his policy ... that tends to be a reliable way for them to return our calls. “

Progressive is right to want to get their customer’s side of the story, but at your expense. Your insurance company will kick their ass on your behalf. Just file a claim. Once they learn the situation they’ll be on Progressive hard and fast so that they (and you) don’t have to pay.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 20, 2018 06:56AM
Oh, and it can be a REAL pain getting a perp to wait around while the police show up. They KNOW that they stand a good chance of being cited, and that the police report looks bad from their insurer’s perspective. Your wife gave in. Lots of people do.

I once had a father show up when his daughter hit me. He was ALL about “we can settle this, I know a guy, I’ll give you a thousand dollars right now” and so on. Very agitated.

I called the police, they cited the girl, and he started cursing me and blocking my car as soon as the cop left. After a few seconds I held up my phone as if to make a call ... he left and I picked the most expensive auto body shop I could find.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 20, 2018 07:46AM
You should just file the claim with your company and send them the police report. They will then subrogate the claim and ask Progressive to reimburse their costs and your deductible. This is why you pay your insurance company, probably too much. You should not have to do any hand wringing.

The only reason you not do that is the case where you do not have collision coverage.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 20, 2018 08:16AM
This happened when I hit a yearling cow* that was on the road at night. The farmer wouldn't return my insurance company's calls so they took care of the repairs and went after the guy later. That's why you have insurance.

*I missed moma (1500 lbs +) who had a habit of busting down fences and getting out. The yearling did a nose/tail spin down the right side of the car. We were lucky that it didn't go through the windshield.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: March 20, 2018 08:28AM
Lizabeth
This happened when I hit a yearling cow* that was on the road at night.

Veal scaloppini for dinner?
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: March 20, 2018 08:32AM
It really depends on which State you're in, i.e. if your State has no-fault or not. But in most cases you should just deal with your insurance company and let them deal with the other guys. Usually the insurance company that will be paying the claim, in your case Progressive, will want to deal with all parties involved and handle it all themselves but they're going to be looking out for their client, not you. That's why you should just let your insurance company handle everything.

As for Progressive, I have them on my motorcycles and RV and have have extremely good service with them. Had a brand-new RV totaled by an 18-wheeler and they handled everything for me. Had a full pay-off check in my mailbox by the time I got back home in a rental car. And my rates actually have been going down every year too.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: March 20, 2018 10:25AM
It's past the point but if there is any damage, you call the police to file a report in addition to exchanging information. If the other person leaves, then it's considered a hit-and-run and they get dinged for that too. That is the only way to protect yourself. If the other person has an outstanding warrant, well that's not your responsibility. They should have been more careful.

My wife got hit from behind and dinged in a parking lot a few years ago in our one-month-old car. She insisted on calling the police against the other person's wishes ("My Dad will take care of your car, I promise.") Well, he ended up getting arrested for this exact reason.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 20, 2018 11:23AM
tronnei
Lizabeth
This happened when I hit a yearling cow* that was on the road at night.

Veal scaloppini for dinner?

Nope, cows (even yearlings) have really heavy bones so the veal probably got bruised but it ran off with mom.
Posted by: max
Date: March 20, 2018 01:18PM
Lizabeth
....so the veal probably got bruised but it ran off with mom.

pre tenderized?...
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 20, 2018 01:55PM
Call Progressive and tell them that if you don't get resolution in 24hrs, your next call is to an attorney.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 20, 2018 02:47PM
macphanatic
Call Progressive and tell them that if you don't get resolution in 24hrs right now, your next call is to an attorney.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 20, 2018 04:06PM
Our insurance is stepping in. Everything would have been settled today except a storm went through and power is out at our agency. They need the power up to file the claim - but it should be done in the morning. that will at least get things started.

the Progressive claim rep is now saying he couldn't reach us - never mind that he has our home phone, cell phones, work phones, and email. Yep, we are totally unreachable.

I'm was really trying to avoid the lawyer route, but I'm beginning to rethink that.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015