advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FYI- Dow J closes down 724.42
Posted by: artie67
Date: March 22, 2018 03:21PM
Could be the weather or maybe tariffs on China.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FYI- Dow J closes down 724.42
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 22, 2018 03:21PM
Trade war produces lots of losers. No winners.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 22, 2018 03:26PM
.....they are saying it is the tariffs......scares some people.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 22, 2018 05:02PM
Percentage wise, Bitcoin is down more today.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 22, 2018 05:07PM
Well, I say that most Americans have no idea how in hock we are to the PRC. If they called in their paper tomorrow we would be be in the deepest @#$%& we have ever been in. Why? Because of the billions and billions of dollars we've given them to make all our goods, along with the rest of the world... And what they've done with it is to build up their military so as to be a real threat to the whole world, not just the US.

The tariffs in the US have always been lower than what many other countries charge us to sell our goods. Japan's tariffs almost double the cost of our goods sold there. I have always thought we should mirror trade tariffs.

Because many companies have gotten stupid rich by buying cheap and selling dear, we are in an incredible trade deficit and the only reason we haven't completely crashed is because we're still the top dog-but the end to that in the not too far future is a reality.

I try to not buy anything made in the PRC-I know, I know, it's nearly impossible. But not impossible and while I may have to pay a little more, I will pay it.

Also, the PRC just voted to make Xi Jinping General Secretary of the Communist Party for life. But the PRC is hardly communist-they have embraced capitalism full bore and as such, Xi is nothing more than a dictator getting stupid rich.

I would like all of us to be trading partners but free trade also has to be fair trade. It's not right now and I think China should be the first country we get on an even trading floor with. Besides, all this is just a negotiating tool and the markets are overreacting. We'll come to an agreement and maybe we can start getting some of our dollars back.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 22, 2018 10:38PM
Can't possibly be the increase in the prime rate, though.smiley-excited001
Posted by: billb
Date: March 23, 2018 02:23AM
3 billion in tariffs as a response to 60 billion in tariffs is hardly a trade war
this smells more of Trade policy adjustment

No one buying Hope and Change any more ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: March 23, 2018 06:25AM
Like I said, we're still the top dog. Yes, it is unlikely they'll call in their paper. But don't think it's beyond happening. History is replete with events that were thought impossible to happen.

Still, free trade needs to be fair trade. We've been too greedy for too long allowing low tariffs to make us rich but also increasing our vulnerability.

But just wait. President Trump is a businessman. He throws out an "offer" and there will be negotiations and we'll come to an agreement.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 06:33AM by DP.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 23, 2018 09:21AM
That's entirely my fault. I needed to do a sell order from my account in order to pay off some medical bills. The sell went through yesterday.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 23, 2018 09:50AM
DP
Yes, it is unlikely they'll call in their paper.

This is not what "calling a bond" means.

Bonds are "called" by the issuer, usually as a means of getting rid of debt with too high a coupon rate.

For certain bonds issued before 1985, the U.S. Treasury reserved the right to stop paying interest before the bonds matured. When the Treasury "called" a bond, the bond stopped paying interest on the date of the call, before the maturity date.

The final bond call occurred in 2009. No more bonds are eligible to be called.

[www.treasurydirect.gov]
Posted by: clay
Date: March 23, 2018 11:57AM
Zoidberg
That's entirely my fault. I needed to do a sell order from my account in order to pay off some medical bills. The sell went through yesterday.

Must have been a twofer...I sold some shares as well on Wed to free up some funds.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 23, 2018 03:52PM
The DOW has been sinking since 26 JAn.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018