advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone here have a Nespresso?
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 26, 2018 06:43PM
I have used the Nespresso machines in a few hotels I have stayed at, and I like the espresso/coffee they make. Does anyone here have one of the machines, and what do you think of it?
How cheap can you get the pods, and where?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone here have a Nespresso?
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: March 26, 2018 06:57PM
Yes, this one

Nespresso Machine

It's awesome. For pods, there's deals occasionally from Nespresso direct, and sometimes you can find deals on eBay. Also I've seen them now at Aldi as a seasonal item.....

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 06:57PM by OWC Jamie.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 26, 2018 07:17PM
I got my wife one for mother’s day last year. She really likes it. Same deal as you. She tried one in a hotel and decided she wanted her own.

Where to buy cheap pods? I don’t know. My wife says she’s gotten 3rd party pods off amazon and she liked them fine. She said the reviews weren’t solid, but she’s happy with them.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 26, 2018 07:24PM
Dayum. $300 bucks?

And isnt this the thing with the huge backlash on the non recycle pods? or was that something different?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 26, 2018 07:25PM
At her request, I got one for my wife. (I don't drink coffee.)

She has since bought two more: one for her office and another for our vacation home.

No advice about where to buy pods. I would not be trusted with so important a task.
Date: March 26, 2018 07:38PM
jdc
Dayum. $300 bucks?

And isnt this the thing with the huge backlash on the non recycle pods? or was that something different?

They do make a cheaper one at a little over $100, which is similar to the one in the last hotel that I stayed at.

The Keurigs are the one with the non recyclable pods. I already have one of those, lol.

I use some of the more eco friendly pods, but they still don’t recycle in our area.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 26, 2018 09:38PM
Ahh, yeah. I dont drink coffee either, wife does.

Shes likes starbucks instant in the morning with extra creme... but would prob prefer a latte.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 26, 2018 09:56PM
Thanks for the input so far.

Posted by: dk62
Date: March 26, 2018 10:15PM
For the pods, you join the Nespresso club and order directly from them. They also have stores in a few cities. But otherwise direct order from them only.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 26, 2018 10:17PM
.....the coffee is good and convenient but they have the monopoly on their own pods.....expensive per cup....as mentioned there are 3rd party pods to try........have never tried the 3rd party ones though......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 26, 2018 11:35PM
I'm a mild coffee snob, and that machine makes the most foolproof espresso. The only reason I've not bought one is the cost of the pods.
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 26, 2018 11:45PM
Love our Nespresso maker. Got sick of the burr grinder and messy grounds of a traditional machine years ago. My wife was skeptical but she is now a Nespresso zealot.

Pods are 70¢, 72¢, or 75¢ each depending on roast and sold in 10 packs.

Pods are all aluminum (not re-usable) and with your order you can request a prepaid return recycling bag. You simply collect them up as you use them, dump them int eh plastic bag then either mail them back for free with the prepaid label or drop them at the nespresso cafe.

Shipping is overnight or 2 day delivery from Nespresso and costs a flat $6.95 (I think it depends on time of order and home vs. business). My wife buys ours at the nespresso cafe since she's frequently there for work.

Some 3rd party pods are available but somewhat limited. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few varieties that are really cheap with coupons. I tried them and taste seemed good (I'm not a coffee connoisseur at all though). I have read that the third party pods have a tendency to jam more often which I do believe.

Many come with a separate milk frother that we also like a lot. Traditional the frothing is via steam. The Nespresso frother uses a magnetically driven tiny wire whisk that spins at an incredibly high speed to generate the froth. I find it to be indistinguishable from traditionally frothed milk. The only knock is that the milk doesn't get super hot. It seems to automatically shut off at a certain temperature. Pushing the button continue frothing becomes inactive until it cools down a bit. Otherwise it's fantastic.

I'd highly recommend getting one!

Edit: All of the above is in reference to the Original Line of machines not the newer Vertuo line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 11:48PM by Bo.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 27, 2018 05:53AM
Rhonnie, don't you have the reusable filter baskets for your Keurig?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: March 27, 2018 07:10AM
DP

My Keurig is the older small one that can’t used the refillable pods. I do have a second non keurig machine that has a basket just for loose ground coffee just for one cup, so I can use that with loose coffee. It also will brew the original K Cups. I find myself looking for good deals on KCups and mostly using them.

Date: March 27, 2018 07:12AM
jdc
Dayum. $300 bucks?

....those are K-cups....

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 27, 2018 07:27AM
rgG
DP

My Keurig is the older small one that can’t used the refillable pods. I do have a second non keurig machine that has a basket just for loose ground coffee just for one cup, so I can use that with loose coffee. It also will brew the original K Cups. I find myself looking for good deals on KCups and mostly using them.

I use the refillable ones for our office machine (non-pro version, they don't work in the pro versions - I tried) and I only buy pods when they are on sale for $2.99 a box (store brand only, limited choices, happens maybe once every two months) as back ups when I'm not awake enough in the morning to fill one of the others. I'd rather spend the $ on really really good coffee than the pods.
Date: March 27, 2018 08:35AM
Hi,

As I mentioned, Aldi did have 3 kinds of their own pods recently when I was in the store - 35¢ a pod. Didn't buy any but I see some reviews that are favorable FWIW.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 27, 2018 08:50AM
I got my wife one some years ago; she loves it. It isn't fired up as a matter of routine but on occasion; I think I wind up buying her a few sets of the Nespresso pods maybe once a year, directly from Nespresso.

re/KCups -- I've since moved away from them (we had the Keurig mostly b'c my wife and I drank different kinds of coffee -- give San Francisco Bay Coffee a try. They use a different kind of system with almost no plastic involved. (Highly recommend the Fog Chaser variety)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 27, 2018 09:30AM
Zoid,

I'll second San Francisco Bay Coffee. The coffee is very good! Love Fog Chaser, too. Even the k-cup version makes the kind of coffee that'll put hair in places that you don't discuss with your mother! Speaking of whom, they have great sales, though I'd by their joe even at regular price.

Robert
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 27, 2018 10:00AM
Been a Nespresso user since I replaced my Senseo with one about 10 years ago. I like the Senseo for coffee, but not for espresso. Wife started drinking espresso when we lived in Paris, so I got the Nespresso.

Makes great espresso and a good "long" espresso (about 3-4 ounces).

If you want a bigger cup, they now have the "Vertuo" line (not sure on the spelling), which take a bigger pod and makes a bigger cup.
Date: March 27, 2018 12:34PM
Zoidberg
I got my wife one some years ago; she loves it. It isn't fired up as a matter of routine but on occasion; I think I wind up buying her a few sets of the Nespresso pods maybe once a year, directly from Nespresso.

re/KCups -- I've since moved away from them (we had the Keurig mostly b'c my wife and I drank different kinds of coffee -- give San Francisco Bay Coffee a try. They use a different kind of system with almost no plastic involved. (Highly recommend the Fog Chaser variety)

I get the SF Bay coffee pods from Costco. I like the Fog Chaser a lot. Costco has them on sale a while back and I stocked up. I also got some closeout holiday flavors of the Publix KCups for a good price.

The Nesoresso tastes like a true espresso which I prefer if I am drinking hot coffee. Most of the time I drink iced coffee, from the KCups I brew at home.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 27, 2018 01:28PM
Just FYI - got this from SF Bay a few moments ago:

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, we did in the past share something explaining that, however due to certain certifications, we had to remove it.

We are working very hard towards a 100% compostable OneCup.

-Our lidding, ring, bag, one-way air valve, are all certified 100% compostable in an industrial composting facility. It is only the mesh that is currently not certified compostable. We are working very hard to make our OneCup 100% certified compostable.

For now, please just dispose of your pod until we can guarantee compostability as a whole unit.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2018 05:25PM
Are any of these machines optimal for making lattes? I seemed to have recently developed an addiction to them.

It is what it is.
Date: March 27, 2018 06:14PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Are any of these machines optimal for making lattes? I seemed to have recently developed an addiction to them.

I think you just add milk to the Nespresso cups to make it a latte, but not 100% sure

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 27, 2018 06:34PM
N-OS X-tasy!

I have the aeroccino, which makes good froth with cold, whole milk:

[www.nespresso.com]
Date: March 27, 2018 06:37PM
The one in my first post that we have does (first bullet point)

Easily prepares latte, cappuccino and italian macchiato with the patented single touch hot milk system

So - absolutely smiling smiley

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 27, 2018 11:02PM
I make excellent frothy milk by using one of the stainless carafes one can buy fir about $20.
Date: March 28, 2018 07:32AM
N-OS X-tasy!

.....look for lactating.....???

Date: February 17, 2019 09:10PM
......don't go.....chasing waterfalls....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018