advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HexClad
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 27, 2018 05:39AM
Is anyone using these brand of cookware?

[hexclad.com]

I saw them in Costco, the guy giving the demo said the set he was selling was $500 on-line but in Costco it was sold for $350. His demo looked impressive, you can cook with little or no oil, and you can use metal utensils without scratching the cookware. It works on all types of stoves. I looked at the box and I did not see a country of Origin, so I asked him and he said they were made in China. When I said a polite and neutral Thank You, he was very rude and asked me where are my shoes made, where was my jacket made.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HexClad
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2018 06:32AM
.....did you put a hex on him....for his rudeness......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 27, 2018 06:42AM
My mom picked up a set after an impressive demo on one of the TV shopping channels -- QVC or HSN or Shop NBC or whatever. Yes, you could cook without oil for the first week or so of use.

But then stuff stuck.

Then a little oil -- as with all non-stick cookware -- was necessary.

Then they started scratching. The hex-pattern which looks so neat to start with will not look so neat when it's all messed up. My mom uses nylon and silicone utensils, hand-cleans her pots and pans, dries on a cloth pad. No dishwasher. Nevertheless, within a few months, every piece looked like it had been through a war with nasty-looking scars. It was not non-stick where it scarred. She gave the whole set to the thrift shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 06:44AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2018 06:44AM
....so no hex....appeal....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 27, 2018 08:06AM
Teflon. Anodized. Hard anodized. Ceramic coated. Tried 'em all. All the coatings wear and fail after a while. I guess the cast iron people have a point... just replace the coating periodically by seasoning a semi-porous pan.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 27, 2018 08:38AM
Space,

Sounds like another "As Seen on TV" type brand of pot. Overpriced and good enough to just be mediocre. I'd stick with a small, basic but good set of non-stick from a reputable company like Caphlon. Get the two or three pots and pans you need and then buy everything else one at a time. You may not even get it from the same company. you'll find that just a few very good pieces will cover the vast majority of your cooking.

It's the same method I recommend for knives. You only need a small number of very good knives for the vast majority of what you'll do with them. A set is going to come with stuff you'll likely rarely or never use at all. Take your time and build just the right set for yourself.

Robert
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 27, 2018 10:48AM
I have been fairly happy with my T-Fal induction compatible cookware. I have been lucky enough not to drop any because the metal is soft like most sub-$100 sets of pans.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 27, 2018 11:26AM
Cast iron pans have been the best in my experience.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 27, 2018 05:19PM
I wonder if Costco would take it back. No, I do not plan to buy, but that guy was so arrogant when I asked where these were made, that I am tempted to buy a set, abuse it for 90 days and take it back to Costco. That is if they were to return it to manufacturer.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2018 05:57PM
Why would you purchase anything from one so rude?

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020