advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Carpool: You're doing it wrong
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 29, 2018 11:08AM

Authorities in Florida said a mom gave "new meaning to the term carpool" when she accidentally sent her vehicle idling into a pool with her husband and daughter inside.

The Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post that the Crestview woman was in the car with her husband and daughter when she realized she needed to run back into their apartment about 2 p.m. Tuesday.

"Mom thought she put the car in park when she ran back into the apartment to grab money," the sheriff's office said. "Apparently it didn't go all the way into park."

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 11:10AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Carpool: You're doing it wrong
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 29, 2018 11:30AM

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 29, 2018 11:53AM
jdc

This must be how to do it "right'. [www.cbsnews.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: March 29, 2018 12:13PM
billb

That appears to be intentional, from what I gathered by reading it.

---
Posted by: davester
Date: March 29, 2018 01:06PM
billb

Tone deaf. Somebody posts something funny and the response is to post a tragedy?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 01:07PM by davester.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 29, 2018 01:37PM
davester
billb

Tone deaf. Somebody posts something funny and the response is to post a tragedy?

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 29, 2018 01:40PM
So, if we're the dad/husband in the Honda Civic and this happens and it starts to roll, can we just put the thing in park while it's rolling or do we have to get to the brake? Of course, if we can get to the brake, it can likely be stopped. I'd think reaching over with a hand to get to the brake or moving over the center console to the drivers seat. Something other than a splash...
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 29, 2018 02:47PM
jdc

Funniest comment I've seen this week!

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 29, 2018 03:31PM
Michael
So, if we're the dad/husband in the Honda Civic and this happens and it starts to roll, can we just put the thing in park while it's rolling or do we have to get to the brake? Of course, if we can get to the brake, it can likely be stopped. I'd think reaching over with a hand to get to the brake or moving over the center console to the drivers seat. Something other than a splash...

Should be able to reach over and put it in park though I've never gotten it through my head about when I need to hit the brake or push the shifter button in when in newer slushbox cars. I have a 35 year old stick shift so I'm a bit of a slow learner.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 29, 2018 04:32PM
facepalm
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 29, 2018 04:58PM
So, if we're the dad/husband in the Honda Civic and this happens and it starts to roll, can we just put the thing in park while it's rolling...

Should be able to reach over and put it in park

Uh, maybe. You could try... Assuming there's no lockup that keeps it from going into Park, if the car is rolling at any kind of speed, there's a good chance you'd just snap the parking pawl in the transmission and Proud Mary keeps on rollin'. It might work in some transmissions and I suppose it would be worth a try, if you're quick about it.

Generally a console is in the way, but you'd want to try putting a foot on the brake pedal.

That's why there are parking brakes. I've never used just Park as in the movies or TV. And I always took the keys out of the ignition.

When parking (besides using the parking brake) care should be used as to not load the pawl and make getting out of Park a struggle.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 29, 2018 05:23PM
or he could have turned the car OFF (either from key or start/stop button).
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 29, 2018 06:17PM
space-time

You'd think. He must not have been paying attention until it was too late.

Date: March 29, 2018 06:20PM

What do you know they don't?

But Allman says there's no reason to believe the crash was a deliberate act.

That could change should new evidence turn up, but until then let's just assume it was intentional?

There's that. And I didn't help. I'm out.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: March 29, 2018 06:32PM

I'd like to know more details.

In modern cars the idle is pretty high to help keep emissions low. 5-8mph is easy while idling on level ground. How far did she get before the car became self-aware? Turning off the ignition would kill the engine but would that have been enough to stopped the car in time?

I've never had occasion to turn off a car (A/T or manual) while in gear. I'll check my car. Just in case it read the same article and I'm every near a pool.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 30, 2018 01:17PM
Must have had a faulty parking break too.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 30, 2018 01:45PM
Nothing new here...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

etc....
Posted by: davester
Date: March 30, 2018 02:02PM
Michael

...unless you're staring at your phone like a zombie, unaware of any problem until that big splash.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 01, 2018 11:26PM
RAMd®d

What do you know they don't?

But Allman says there's no reason to believe the crash was a deliberate act.

That could change should new evidence turn up, but until then let's just assume it was intentional?

Assuming that it was intentional appears to have been a good bet.

[www.koin.com]

CHP investigation: Hart family crash 'an intentional act'

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) -- Initially, authorities feared an investigation into the crash in Mendocino County (California) that killed 5 members of the Hart family -- and left 3 children missing -- would reveal questions that would never be answered. Now, authorities have some of those answers as they're starting to piece together what exactly happened and why it did.

On Sunday, a spokesperson with the California Highway Patrol told KOIN 6 News that a preliminary investigation shows the crash, which happened off a cliff in Westport, California, on March 26, was an "intentional act," and not the result of a traffic accident.

Authorities said they believe there is intent because of air bag evidence and because there was no tire friction by the cliff's edge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020