advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
21 Years Ago Today....
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: March 31, 2018 07:26PM
T'was the birth of Dealmac, the web site with the forum for Mac enthusiasts that was the reason so many of us came together, and eventually found our way here (after DealMac borked their forums).

[www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 07:26PM by The UnDoug.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 21 Years Ago Today....
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 31, 2018 07:42PM
Glad we are here, it's a nice community

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 31, 2018 07:55PM
DinerDave
Glad we are here, it's a nice community

Interesting how things work out.

I think this is a friendlier and more helpful forum overall. (Thanks again, Larry!)

But I worry sometimes that it's also not adding enough members to make up for attrition.

Posted by: hal
Date: March 31, 2018 08:10PM
21 YEARS???!!!?

My gawd!

I used to feel so smug with my internet know-how. Back then, almost no one really knew how to get things done on the web. That lasted for what... two years?? It felt longer.

Very strange how this group managed to grow without exploding - managed to stay around this long without withering and dying. Every other forum that I visited back in the early days either withered and vanished or became so huge that it became completely unmanageable (after first trying to manage every damned detail).
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 31, 2018 08:54PM
Didn't someone download the old archived forum from DealMac?

Grateful11
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 31, 2018 08:57PM
hal, I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts. It's remarkable, how well we have stood the test of time.

I have learned a lot from member's contributions over the years, but even more than just the tech "stuff" the kindness and support that we give each other has been the glue that has kept us going.

As many of my forum friends know, I have been dealing with a major health issue. The concern and posts of support have meant a lot to me.

I am so glad that, years ago, I found this wonderful group of really great people.

Happy Anniversary, to all of you!

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 08:58PM by GeneL.
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 31, 2018 08:58PM
I discovered DM right after I bought my first computer, a PowerMac 7300 and AppleVision display. I learned a lot from reading their forum (and AOL message boards).

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 31, 2018 09:40PM
GeneL is absolutely right. This wonderful people here not only has given me awesome tech advice it also helped me through the darkest time of my life.

Grateful11
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 31, 2018 10:47PM
I keep coming back, every day, to look if not to comment. I don't agree with what some of you say, or where you are politically, but I respect your humanity and willingness to be there for anyone with a question or a problem. We are all good people. And we have mourned together many deaths of members over the years. I think of Spearmint and Alphadog, Gutenberg and others. Yeah, this is a special place.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 01, 2018 06:54AM
blooz
I keep coming back, every day, to look if not to comment. I don't agree with what some of you say, or where you are politically, but I respect your humanity and willingness to be there for anyone with a question or a problem. We are all good people. And we have mourned together many deaths of members over the years. I think of Spearmint and Alphadog, Gutenberg and others. Yeah, this is a special place.

agree smiley

Glad to see GeneL posting again! boink smiley
Posted by: Frank
Date: April 01, 2018 09:02AM
testcase
blooz

agree smiley

Glad to see GeneL posting again! boink smiley
agree smiley
Happy Easter everyone!
Posted by: August West
Date: April 01, 2018 01:11PM
Greg the dog sitter and his wife.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: hal
Date: April 01, 2018 02:16PM
August West
Greg the dog sitter and his wife.

A while back I was searching for something on the forum and as it often happens, stumbled upon an old thread that I re-read.

It was the thread soliciting pet photos for Greg to watch as he was dying. I looked at all of the pets and all of the well wishing and got all the way to the end... and I had to post this:

"I miss Greg - he was a good guy"

He was among the best of us - it made me sad...

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: rz
Date: April 02, 2018 07:44AM
Not sure exactly when I joined DM, but it was near the beginning. A guy at the MUG I used to belong to turned me on to it. I still read their deal page daily.
Posted by: digby
Date: April 02, 2018 08:38AM
I still chuckle at DealMac's tagline under the logo:

DealMac
How to go broke saving money
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020