advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Facebook says most people on its vast social network may have had their public profile scraped by third parties
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 04, 2018 02:34PM
WAPO "Breaking News". Is there something we didn't know here???

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Facebook says most people on its vast social network may have had their public profile scraped by third parties

Facebook said it would severely restrict the information developers and other companies can take from the 2 billion users of its social network.

The company added that data about 87 million people, mostly living in the United States, was improperly obtained by Cambridge Analytica without the permission of these users.

Facebook’s announcement Wednesday and others last week reflect a major shift in the company’s relationship with third-party apps. In the past, developers could get access to people’s relationship status, calendar events, private Facebook posts and much more data that was highly valuable to advertisers, including political campaigns. Now they will be required to go through a much stricter process.

This is a developing story. It will be updated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Facebook says most people on its vast social network may have had their public profile scraped by third parties
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 04, 2018 02:36PM
.....party time.....???

.....the people who 'stayed off the grid' are smart now......no digital footprint and no way to track..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Facebook says most people on its vast social network may have had their public profile scraped by third parties
Posted by: billb
Date: April 04, 2018 03:10PM
and yet you keep going back

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: April 04, 2018 03:33PM
I'll try to write this so that it doesn't get kicked to the Other Side. In 2012, the Then Administration teamed up with CNN and FB to access pretty much everyone in the U.S. thru FB to help with getting the re-election campaign's get-out-the-vote message. The administration was lauded for being smart and clever to do this. Bottom line, if you were on FB back then, your personal information has been out there for at least six years and probably more. Not too many folks had a cow about it then...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 04, 2018 03:46PM
Are you talking about this?
[www.pri.org]
Because that had nothing to do with any administration.

Posted by: DP
Date: April 04, 2018 04:10PM
This:

[www.theguardian.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 04, 2018 05:42PM
From DPs link:

Every time an individual volunteers to help out – for instance by offering to host a fundraising party for the president – he or she will be asked to log onto the re-election website with their Facebook credentials. That in turn will engage Facebook Connect, the digital interface that shares a user's personal information with a third party.

Consciously or otherwise, the individual volunteer will be injecting all the information they store publicly on their Facebook page – home location, date of birth, interests and, crucially, network of friends – directly into the central Oxxxxx database.

"If you log in with Facebook, now the campaign has connected you with all your relationships," a digital campaign organiser who has worked on behalf of Xxxxxx says.

So it's not like facebook just gave them a database. You had to WANT to interact with the campaign. Most people that volunteered to help with the campaign would have knowingly given this info. it shold have been mentioned in large text instead of 'oh, btw, you are agreeing to FBs terms with you do this'.

But it's still the first step toward a slippery slope.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 04, 2018 06:00PM
You all remember what Pat Nixson had to say about Facebook, don’t you?

“Just say no.”

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: PeterW
Date: April 04, 2018 06:03PM
Umm, that was Nancy Reagan.

Who the hell was Pat Nixson?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 04, 2018 06:20PM
I found some info about me on a public site recently. The only place that data could have come from what Facebook, and that setting was as private.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 04, 2018 08:13PM
This Facebook rabbit hole is going to get deeper and deeper.

Posted by: blooz
Date: April 04, 2018 08:23PM
I always assumed anything I put on facebook was going to be used by facebook somewhere to maximize profit.
It's pervasive. I don't use facebook to look for shoes, but when i went on line to look for something specific, suddenly I saw a lot of shoe ads on the comics pages I look at.
I am seriously thinking of changing my identity and getting another SS number and staying off the internet for the rest of my life. But i bet they'd still find me somehow.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 04, 2018 08:32PM
I don't know why people worry so much about FB, when you have Amazon over there who knows everything about you including your credit card numbers and whether or not you buy K-Y Jelly.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 04, 2018 09:57PM
$tevie
I don't know why people worry so much about FB, when you have Amazon over there who knows everything about you including your credit card numbers and whether or not you buy K-Y Jelly.

They only know if I buy it from Amazon... and that’s a local cash purchase sorta thing.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 04, 2018 10:03PM
what is wrong with buying K-Y Jelly with a credit card? so what if I buy K-Y Jelly?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 04, 2018 11:51PM
emoticon-tv-015

Never had a FB account. Never will.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 05, 2018 06:28AM
Facebook:

"Malicious actors" paid us and collected the personal information we've gathered about you and it's not our fault in any way that they did so just because our entire business model is predicated upon selling this information to any and all comers.

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 05, 2018 06:53AM
The horses are all gone..........

I guess we can close the barn door now. boink smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 05, 2018 10:34AM
I find this whole thing hysterically amusing. Here we are on a phorum 'over sharing'. And on Facebook (some of us) 'over sharing'. And the general population forgot rule #1 of the Internet.

1- If you want to keep a secret. don't tell it to anyone.
1a- If it's on the internet, it's available to anyone with the time and effort to find it.
1b- If it's on the internet, it's on the internet forever.
Date: April 05, 2018 11:33AM

can you find old posts from dealmac?
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 05, 2018 11:49AM
space-time

can you find old posts from dealmac?

Not for lack of trying. I think Undoug or someone was trying to archive the site when the end was announced. I don't know if it was successful.

But that was a little podunk forum. I'm sure there are scraped archives of facebook on servers across the planet.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 05, 2018 05:49PM
What cbelt3 said. I’ve always assumed that anything I put on Facebook, Amazon, forums, etc was accessible to the world. That’s why I’ve always denied access to things like my contacts, and minimize the number of organizations that have my bank account details.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rz
Date: April 05, 2018 06:47PM
Despite being actively on the internet since its inception, and active on usenet and other bb's since the early 1980s, there's not a whole lot on the internet about me, other than public record stuff, and my name is on a bunch of slides from a series of presentations I gave several years ago. If you search my name on google and look for images, you will find none. I am not on facebook. I'm not on LinkedIn, or any other social media site. I did have a webpage many years ago, but I can't even find any record of it anymore. And I'm fairly anonymous here... unless I've bought or sold something with you, my name is not associated with my handle.
Posted by: decay
Date: April 06, 2018 09:19AM
cbelt3

Not always true. A friend of mine ran a small record label, zine, and had a band, all based in Philadelphia during the early 90s.

I went searching for his site online, and there were no traces of it anywhere, even in the Internet Wayback Machine.

Go ahead and give it a try... Stain fanzine, Zonic Shockum band, Beefeater records. You'll find some hits, but none of the online magazine content.

He had to contact Google and have it scrubbed. His reason was neighbors where they live now who might dig it up and use it against them. Some of the content and interviews were controversial, especially to a small-town, closed-minded person.

---
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2018 11:22AM
.....my girl want to....party all the time........party all the time........party all the time........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 07, 2018 09:47AM
What kind information is everyone concerned about? Credit card info? Social Security numbers? Medical records? This is the type of info that can damage you. It seems like everybody is upset over what amounts to gossip about themselves. I don't know why the secret that you enjoy dark chocolate is fatal. Maybe there is critical info being vacuumed, but I don't hear anyone talking about that.

What happened is all of this data mining was designed to manipulate you politically. It worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 09:47AM by vision63.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018