advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Riddle me this MRF Batmen... Fake fast charging?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 07, 2018 07:07PM
I have a couple of generic home and car cellphone chargers (from Amazon) that are spec'ed as QC3 compliant... they have, at times, registered w/ the phones as "Fast Charging", but have now ceased to do so. However, they do still seem to charge the phones significantly faster than standard, non QC3 rated chargers. Is there a chance that these devices are using fake Qualcomm tech and the phone is somehow not registering the chargers as "official"? I haven't done a full comparison w/ real, known QC3 chargers to see how much, if any, charging time differential there is.

Any ideas what might be going with the chargers? The phones all work as they should w/ real QC3 chargers, and always register as "Fast Charging" so I know the phones and cables are OK... it's gotta be something w/ the pseudo QC3 chargers that are hecho en Chine.
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Riddle me this MRF Batmen... Fake fast charging?
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 07, 2018 07:20PM
Not sure, but this video may have some clues

[www.androidauthority.com]
Date: April 07, 2018 09:19PM
space- Video is ancient, and been there/done that, old news... phones are clearly drawing more than basic current, but not displaying as "Fast Charging", so I'm wondering if there's something that supposed to be in the charger's chip set that says "hey there, I'm Qualcomm QC3 equipped, please tell your peeps I'm powering down the juice...". It's as if the phones aren't getting the OK to display the "Fast Charging" mantra when hooked up the Chinese generic chargers, though they do display "Fast Charging" when hooked up to "real" QC3 equipped chargers. FWIW, one of the OEM chargers is made in Vietnam and it shows "Fast Charging" and the identical clone, made in China, intermittently displayed "Fast Charging" when new, but hasn't in a few months, but still charges faster than a minimum current model. It just seems as if some sort of electronic communication is lacking, that I don't know what it is, or if there's something else going on.
==
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 08, 2018 02:10AM
My son has two Samsung chargers, one is made in Vietnam and it is real. The other is made in China is a clone. Same issues of not saying fast charging all the time. The China charger came with the phone off eBay.
Date: April 08, 2018 02:30AM
Thanks for the anecdotal evidence confirming the story... now we just gotta figure out what's going on, that causes these symptoms.
The suggestion bin is open.
==
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 12, 2018 08:32AM
Can you figure out if it is charging at QC2 rate? It will still charge faster. I have also noticed that cable/charger combination sometimes matters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018