The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oppo is dead.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 07, 2018 08:46PM
No, not Otto. OPPO.

[www.oppodigital.com]

I think this news flat out sucks. Oppo became the premier maker of DVD players when the big names didn't want to do it. And then Oppo became the premier maker of Blu-Ray players when the big names didn't want to do it. And more recently, Oppo had the foresight to enter the one area of audio with serious growth: quality headphones.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oppo is dead.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 07, 2018 08:56PM
Pretty sure plastic media is dead; Apple told us that a while ago.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 07, 2018 08:59PM
.....but recent news said that physical music CDs are outselling downloads.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 07, 2018 09:12PM
Love their kit. The only BD player I'd ever recommend.

...Not liquidating inventory yet, apparently.

Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: April 07, 2018 09:28PM
Been a fan of Oppo for about 8 years. bummer news indeed!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 07, 2018 10:13PM
It is definitely not dead, focusing on mobile phones. Around the world, they are advertising them like crazy. But too bad about the A/V division. When I heard, I immediately bought the 203 player although I am still on the fence regarding UHD.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 08, 2018 12:33AM
I'm a fan, too. We own two, BluRay and regular. Both great.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: April 08, 2018 06:39AM
If only I had $549 to spare.
From my late teens I had l been an enthusiast for high end audio when it was know as monaural and speakers were huge and corner standing. This lead me to build my first Dynakit amplifier and then to go into sales of some of the finest audio equipment of the time.
Over the years I enjoyed an involvement with a number of exclusive audio/video companies, so I do appreciate what I think is an example of the kind of excellence that this product seems to embody.
Thanks for calling my attention to it. Now, if I only had $549!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 08, 2018 06:51AM
dk62
It is definitely not dead, focusing on mobile phones. Around the world, they are advertising them like crazy. But too bad about the A/V division. When I heard, I immediately bought the 203 player although I am still on the fence regarding UHD.

Yeah, I've been meaning to do the same since hearing the news last week. Will order one tomorrow.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 08, 2018 08:02AM
This may be a money making opportunity.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 08, 2018 08:37AM
Now, if I only had $549!

That's $10 less than what I've found. $559 at Amazon + $18 shipping + 10% CA tax.

It's a very nice looking player but at that kind of money, there's just very little ROI for me.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 08, 2018 09:14AM
Hi everyone,

No surprise. Oppo makes great hardware. No doubt about it. However, it isn't so much better than the competition to justify the prices charged for it. Not by a long shot. To call Oppo's hardware overpriced is an understatement.

This Wirecutter article says it well:

[thewirecutter.com]

Even used older models from Oppo are still many times more expensive than a model from Sony that'll probably outclass them.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 09:33AM by Robert M.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 08, 2018 09:59AM
This actually saddens me. Love my 103D, and I don't regret spending more several years ago for what will probably be my last disc player of any kind. It's not just it's blu-ray performance but it's superior performance with standard DVDs. The Wirecutter article DOES say it all. OPPO is still the best for picture quality.

I admit that there may be a placebo effect when it comes to PQ, but the build quality is noticeably better, and if you plan to keep this in your system for 10+ years as I do and use it with a high quality plasma or OLED, I think it's pretty easy to justify. To each his own.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 08, 2018 10:02AM
Robert M
Even used older models from Oppo are still many times more expensive than a model from Sony that'll probably outclass them.

Sony's jittery scratch-prone plastic lenses, disc-scratching firmware-updates, and lack of support for anyone who can't walk it into their offices in Los Angeles beg to differ. Dunno why anyone would buy a Sony TV or BD player at this point. Old Sony gear was awesome up until the late 1990s, but now it's expensive cr@p.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 08, 2018 10:42AM
datbeme
... The Wirecutter article DOES say it all. OPPO is still the best for picture quality. ....

Seeking the best, not merely the "good enough," is a lonely exercise. This news is akin to Pioneer's Kuro, and then Panasonic, leaving the plasma TV market. The best way to experience a format is now gone unless and until someone enters the fray for Blu-Ray.

It will be a long time before any streaming service can offer the same combined quality for picture and sound, 4K or UHD or not. Our nation's ISP bandwidth infrastructure just isn't there.

But the "good enough" will saunter along, as it always does, advertising specs that bring up the bottom, while tamping down what's possible at the top.
Date: April 08, 2018 12:06PM
The additional benefits are ability to play SACD and an easy hardware mod for region and zone free playback, both of which are important to me. Yes, the units are probably overpriced but I'd rather have a solidly built quality machine than go through several ones that feel disposable.
Date: April 08, 2018 12:50PM
Sarcany,

We're talking Sony equivalent to Oppo hardware. That takes TVs out of the picture. Stick to comparing similar products that are in the same class of merchandise. OTher than SACD and mods for region and zone free playback - which the vast majority of the world couldn't' care less about, Oppo doesn't' offer remotely enough to justify the price tag. There is a point where good enough to actually close enough to top-notch is more than sufficient. Oppo might be fantastic hardware but it is so fantastic to justify the price? No, and that's after seeing and using Oppo hardware. Absolutely not worth it unless you have excess money and truly want the best in class regardless of price tag.

Robert
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 08, 2018 01:43PM
deckeda
But the "good enough" will saunter along, as it always does, advertising specs that bring up the bottom, while tamping down what's possible at the top.

Well said.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 08, 2018 02:10PM
Happy with my $50 ebay Pioneer Elite BDP, although it does take forever to read a disc when inserted. One of those overlooked bargains.
Date: April 08, 2018 02:52PM
There are additional differences that may or may not matter to you. From the first models on, the BD picture quality was not one of them, it was a common misconception. You need the player to decode and send the signal without distortion and almost any player can do that. Where the differences come in are video processing of signals that have different resolution from your display, be it up conversion of DVDs to 1080, BDs to UHD, or downconversion of UHD to HD (which seems to be really tricky and where a lot of players fail, but will not matter to the majority of consumers).
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 08, 2018 02:57PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

No surprise. Oppo makes great hardware. No doubt about it. However, it isn't so much better than the competition to justify the prices charged for it. Not by a long shot. To call Oppo's hardware overpriced is an understatement.

[thewirecutter.com]

Robert

I recently bought a Sony BD player, and I like it very much. It is superior to my Oppo DV-980H in terms of upscaling DVDs. However, the 980H will be kept around as long as it functions because audo CDs sound so much better than when played on the Sony. A lot better. I think this is largely due to the fact that the Oppo has built-in audio tone controls.

Date: April 08, 2018 09:32PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

[thewirecutter.com]

Robert

That's one man's opinion, Robert.

For years, Oppo has enjoyed a well-earned reputation for making some of the best consumer AV products available. It is true they are not the cheapest available, but it's not like you're paying Bang & Olufsen prices and Oppo products offer excellent performance for the money. Even the Wirecutter page you linked to acknowledges this:

The Oppo will give you the best picture from any disc, from DVD to Blu-ray, and has the best 4K upscaling available

The reason I want the Oppo 4K Blu-ray player is it is one of a very few players available today that is able to play DolbyVision 4K Blu-rays. In fact, it is the BEST player available that can do DV.

My new OLED TV is also able to display DV content, and let me tell you, it looks @#$%& AMAZING.

Wirecutter has this to say about the Oppo 4K Blu-ray player [thewirecutter.com]:

If you want the best possible image quality for your DVD and Blu-ray movies and are willing to pay a substantial premium, the Oppo UDP-203 has the absolute best upscaling of any 4K Blu-ray player out there. It produces the fewest artifacts and handles the widest array of content. It is one of only two players available today that can play back Dolby Vision 4K Blu-ray disc

The Oppo players costs hundreds more than its competitors. So did my Sony PlayStation 3 when I purchased it in 2007 specifically to serve as a Blu-ray player. It has given me eleven years of trouble-free service -- I definitely feel I have gotten my money's worth. I expect the Oppo will do the same.

It is what it is.
Date: April 08, 2018 09:49PM
Seeking the best, not merely the "good enough," is a lonely exercise. This news is akin to Pioneer's Kuro, and then Panasonic, leaving the plasma TV market. The best way to experience a format is now gone unless and until someone enters the fray for Blu-Ray.

It will be a long time before any streaming service can offer the same combined quality for picture and sound, 4K or UHD or not. Our nation's ISP bandwidth infrastructure just isn't there.

Bingo.

And I doubt anyone will pick up Oppo's mantle.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: April 08, 2018 10:02PM
RAMd®d
And I doubt anyone will pick up Oppo's mantle.

Regrettably, that's probably true. All the most reason to purchase the best while it is still available.

It is what it is.
Date: April 08, 2018 10:36PM
N-OS X-tasy!
dk62

Yeah, I've been meaning to do the same since hearing the news last week. Will order one tomorrow.

Player is on order from Crutchfield. Only places I could find it available online were Crutchfield, Oppo, and Amazon (and that was just Oppo selling through Amazon). (EDIT: Actually, it is also available on eBay, but pricing is inflated, probably due to the recent announcement.)

Oppo and Amazon both charge tax as well as $18 shipping (not eligible for Amazon Prime). Crutchfield is out of stock for a couple weeks and sell price was $10 more than Oppo (same as Amazon), but no tax or shipping - I come out ~$60 ahead buying through Crutchfield.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 10:37PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: April 08, 2018 11:14PM
N-OS,

Not the cheapest available? That's funny. They are simply put, expensive. Based on what I saw, yes, they offer amazing performance. It just isn't so superior to justify the expense. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if poor sales is one of the compelling reasons for Oppo leaving the business.

Robert
Date: April 09, 2018 12:49AM
Robert M
N-OS,

Not the cheapest available? That's funny. They are simply put, expensive. Based on what I saw, yes, they offer amazing performance. It just isn't so superior to justify the expense.

Again, Robert, that's one man's opinion, one to which you are absolutely entitled. Based on some of the comments in this thread, however, it would seem there quite a few people who do not hold the same opinion. So let's just agree to disagree.

It is what it is.
Date: April 09, 2018 04:39AM
No-is,

Without a doubt. We can agree to disagree. But, what I said stands true as far as I'm concerned. Way too expensive. Factor in that blu-ray in itself is a dying market and it just doesn't make sense to drop so much money on an Oppo unless you have the extra bucks and truly want that bit of extra improvement in performance offered by it. Personally, Oppo made a smart, tactical move.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 08:31AM by Robert M.
Date: April 09, 2018 12:17PM
Robert M
No-is,

Without a doubt. We can agree to disagree. But, what I said stands true as far as I'm concerned. Way too expensive. Factor in that blu-ray in itself is a dying market and it just doesn't make sense to drop so much money on an Oppo unless you have the extra bucks and truly want that bit of extra improvement in performance offered by it. Personally, Oppo made a smart, tactical move.

Robert

Extra bucks and too expensive are laughably relative terms, particularly applied to a sub-$1000 piece of equipment. We are not talking Maserati here. For someone enjoying movies on a decent size screen and decent sound equipment and over 1000 Blu rays in the collection, well worth the investment. For others, not so much, particularly if they think that streaming gives you similar PQ as physical media.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 12:23PM by dk62.
Date: April 09, 2018 12:45PM
DK,

Extra bucks and too expensive are most definitely not laughable terms in my world. Maybe in your world but not in mine and I bet not in the world of the average person. 'course, I don't live in a world where I have a collection of 1000 blu-rays. Heck, I have only a handful of them.

If someone has sound equipment, 1000 blu-rays and a screen that provides the picture quality to truly enjoy it, then they have the bucks for an Oppo or another high quality component. And, as you said, it's worth it to them to spend the bucks on it. Good for that person.

Robert
Date: April 09, 2018 12:56PM
Robert M
DK,

Extra bucks and too expensive are most definitely not laughable terms in my world. Maybe in your world but not in mine and I bet not in the world of the average person.

Oppo products are not intended for "the average person." If that is the basis you're using for your critique, you have been barking up the wrong tree. Not sure what value you find in critiquing a product for which you are clearly not the target demographic.

Robert M
I don't live in a world where I have a collection of 1000 blu-rays. Heck, I have only a handful of them.

If someone has sound equipment, 1000 blu-rays and a screen that provides the picture quality to truly enjoy it, then they have the bucks for an Oppo or another high quality component. And, as you said, it's worth it to them to spend the bucks on it. Good for that person.

That is exactly the demographic into which I fall and to which Oppo sells.

(I only have ~500 Blu-ray discs, though.)

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 01:05PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: April 09, 2018 01:20PM
N-OS,

I'm not in the demographic for an iMac Pro but that's not going to stop me from offering an opinion on it, either. I'll gladly reassess my opinion of Oppo hardware if you can offer me tangible facts that would justify the price tag. 'course, it doesn't much matter because Oppo left the market and, in due time, they hardware that exists now will be eclipsed. Now it's a question of who will fill the gap and how much will they charge for the hardware.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 09, 2018 02:25PM
.....what about Oppo's wife......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 09, 2018 03:50PM
Robert M
N-OS,

I'm not in the demographic for an iMac Pro but that's not going to stop me from offering an opinion on it, either. I'll gladly reassess my opinion of Oppo hardware if you can offer me tangible facts that would justify the price tag. 'course, it doesn't much matter because Oppo left the market and, in due time, they hardware that exists now will be eclipsed. Now it's a question of who will fill the gap and how much will they charge for the hardware.

Robert

I think the argument is that nobody will step in and produce something that will truly eclipse what they have now, for the same reasons that Oppo is now going out of business I am sure.
Date: April 09, 2018 05:17PM
Mike,

Agreed on that. The price tag may be worth it to some but the market says something about that, too. I doubt sales of blu-ray players of any kind are flourishing and the market for models like those from Oppo is likely poorer still.

Robert
Date: April 10, 2018 01:33AM
as far as I'm concerned

in my world

This is the problem I have with 'discussions' of what's what— the lack of citing relevance, where opinion seems to be offered as universal fact when that's not the case, and acknowledgement of that would go far to eliminate superfluous back and for.

Of course a discussion with 'it's too expensive for my taste' and 'it's not for mine' where opinion is offered as opinion, would be too short.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: April 10, 2018 05:35AM
RAM,

I never said anything was something other than my opinion. The market, as well as Oppo's actions, seem to support my assertion but you are correct. It is still just my opinion. I never said otherwise.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018