The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Radio. Do you still listen? How?
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 10, 2018 08:08AM
Poll
(How) do you listen to radio?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
75 votes were received.
I don't or do it very rarely 11

15%
I listen on an actual radio (in the car, at home). 58

77%
I listen via phone app, media player or smart speaker. 6

8%

I’ve been involved in radio for more than 40 years, both on and off the air. I was discussing the business recently with my family and some friends. We noticed how more and more people are walking (and driving) around with earbuds on. It got me wondering if anyone listens to radio any more. I know podcasts are big. And I myself mostly listen to audiobooks on my commute. I’m not convinced that radio is dead…or even dying. But things are changing. I'll put a few questions in poll form, but I’d be curious to know your habits, so feel free to elaborate. There are likely options I’m not even thinking about.

So, in no particular order…

• Do you listen to radio? If so, is it mostly for music? News? Talk?
• Do you find a station you like and keep it there or do you hop around?
• If you don’t listen to radio at all, why not?

• If you do listen, do you listen on an actual radio? At home? In the car?
• If not on an actual radio, how do you listen? App on phone? Media player (Roku, Alexa, etc.)?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Radio. Do you still listen? How?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 10, 2018 08:12AM
....radio...gaga........??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 10, 2018 08:13AM
Both my wife and I listen in the car (her daily, me on roadtrips, primarily NPR.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 10, 2018 08:19AM
NPR...via OTA in the car and via the app at home.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 10, 2018 08:20AM
Wurm,

In the car quite regularly. I listen to the news (for news, weather, traffic, etc) and to a particular station that plays a reasonably good selection of classic rock. That and I'm enjoying the Jim Kerr Rock and Roll Morning Show. I recently had a rental car with a much newer radio and loved that it displayed the name of the song and the artist. Wish my car had that feature! Its bluetooth also supported music from my phone, though I didn't actually use that feature.

I can't imagine listening to audio books or podcasts while driving. Those are the kinds of presentations that require a level of focus and attention I couldn't give while behind the wheel. While at the gym working the heavy bag or on a cardio machine, sure, behind the wheel? Not for me. Kudos to those that can do it and still appreciate and enjoy the content.

Robert
Date: April 10, 2018 08:24AM
....what about voices in one's head.....???

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 10, 2018 08:26AM
Ota, but I'm lucky in that I live in the catchment area for great non commercial and college stations. Still haven't paid for a radio subscription.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 10, 2018 08:26AM
In the car; NPR if I listen at all to terrestrial radio. Otherwise, it's typically a streaming service like JazzRadio.com or my own music mix via my iPhone or some ripped CDs in the car.

(Back when my company paid for it, I listened to Sirius/XM a lot; usually the 70s channel or one of the classic rock channels, and the family-friendly comedy channel on road trips with the kids)

At home; almost never, save for weather emergencies, and that's only if the power's out and the TV is not working. Only listen to my own music (via iTunes), the aforementioned JazzRadio stream, or have a video on in some manner.

same as it ever was
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 10, 2018 08:31AM
In the car, and at work in my office.

The wife just listens to Pandora and the like now.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 10, 2018 08:33AM
radio, iTunes.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 10, 2018 08:37AM
I still listen to radio. The radio station that I listen to the most is one is KYDS, which is run by a local High School. I also listen to classical music on NPR I believe. The local college radio station out of UC Davis sucks.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 10, 2018 08:38AM
I listen to and enjoy the radio..mossly, in my car but quite often while working and while at home ...NPR until it rotates out for the day..or, rock and roll..my zeppelin/ AC/DC et al station just got bought by a christian network so thats done..the station from my teens sucks feet....im a little bit lost. help me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 08:49AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 10, 2018 08:43AM
In the car I listen to free radio for traffic. Then switch over to a rotating list of 3 channels playing Billboard Top40 type music. At work and home I treasure silence.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 10, 2018 08:58AM
Sometimes NPR in the car, but only if I forget to bring my USB drive with music on it.

I find the radio stations I used to enjoy to be annoying now.
Date: April 10, 2018 09:26AM
This is very interesting...and informative. As I recall, this forum skews about 50+ in terms of age. I guess I should have added that question. If you care to share, you can edit your post to add an age, or even a range; maybe something like:

• under 30
• 31-50
• 51+

Thanks!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 10, 2018 09:30AM
mikebw
Sometimes NPR in the car, but only if I forget to bring my USB drive with music on it.

What’s do you think has changed? You or the radio stations? I’ve noticed that I can barely tolerate most commercials these days, either on radio or TV.

My wife and I pretty much limit ourselves to NPR and PBS.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 10, 2018 09:37AM
In the car— KCBS, KCSM

Occasionally:

At home— Alexa- KCBS, KCSM
On foot— 'Phone- KCSM (their app)

Other than the two above, it's the same for me.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 10, 2018 09:40AM
.....Beyonce......listens.....

Listennnnnnn....nnnnnnn?!

Posted by: riley5108
Date: April 10, 2018 09:41AM
If I listen at all it's to music in the car and to a station I like and keep it there, The exception would be when traveling then hop around until I find a station I like.

Edit: As requested age 60+ -- hope that helps.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 10:05AM by riley5108.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 10, 2018 09:41AM
In the car - music, but so many stations play the same old playlists that it's usually connected to the ipod.
No one around here would be caught dead tuned into NPR.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: JEBB
Date: April 10, 2018 09:49AM
Local NPR in the car for news and talk. At home NPR for news but also the app Radio Swiss Classic for music.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: April 10, 2018 09:52AM
You may want to alter the poll to say BOTH OF THE ABOVE.

EDIT: to answer questions

• Do you listen to radio?

YES - mostly music, some News and Talk when in mood

• Do you find a station you like and keep it there or do you hop around?

I listen to the DL Hughley Show weekday afternoons when I can (music and Talk) but will jump between 2 or 3 presets if not on News Talk

• If you do listen, do you listen on an actual radio?

At home - in bathroom I have a old dial tune radio that is hard to tune so it stays on one station (listen in shower while getting ready) Also have a bluetooth speaker and can stream music (Radio station App or Pandora or i Heart Radio) from iPhone or iPad if want other stations and content.

In the car? I have a HD Radio in Car so I can get multiple FM stations but it also does Pandora and Bluetooth via Phone for Apps.

What was fun was to listen to Broadcast radio form different cities via an App in the summer while driving. Chicago radio or Miami Radio stations on a warm summer weekend evening....

When my car was down for a minute, I used public transportation for a few random days - listened to the radio station Apps on my phone.

When I shoveled snow, I would do Podcasts and radio Apps on my Phone.

On similar aside: I was looking at the hype over rapper Cardi B on SNL and was wondering do kids today BUY NEW CDs from artists when released or just Stream the New CD to listen.

We old folks like to "OWN" music I think instead of "Borrow:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 10:06AM by ArtP.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: April 10, 2018 09:57AM
In my pickup, I listen to Rush & Hannity on local AM.

Fred
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 10, 2018 10:03AM
I listen to either NPROne, RadioParadise, Audible.com app, or Podcast app.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: April 10, 2018 10:04AM
.....but do y'all still listen to your mother......???

Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: April 10, 2018 10:07AM
Age 31-50. I always have it on in the car, because I don't have space for much downloaded music on my iPad and don't find that I end up putting CDs in and then switching when they are done or I am tired of them.

I really like an FM station that is just outside my area and only comes in for 1/4 of my commute... I flip around between 5-6 others once that one gets fuzzy. I listen with a boombox at home because I like the station that much. If I listen online using their website, I have to futz around with devices going to sleep or needing to change to another tab and losing the feed. I like Pandora, but can't listen at work, and don't use the desktop enough to enjoy it.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 10, 2018 10:08AM
Ammo
mikebw

What’s do you think has changed? You or the radio stations? I’ve noticed that I can barely tolerate most commercials these days, either on radio or TV.

The commercials; nail on the head with that. The commercials -- both radio and TV -- drove me away from them as an option. So to make up for lost revenue (from lost listenership/viewership) they.. play more commercials.

I cut the cord about 3 or so years ago re/video, and probably longer ago re/radio. I used to put the radio on in the car but would realize I had been listening to commercials for the entirety of my drive and just stopped.

Ditto re/NPR; that's about all I ever have on in the car.

same as it ever was
Date: April 10, 2018 10:22AM
This is all terrific. Unfortunately, I can't edit the poll after voting has taken place, but I really appreciate the extra information everyone is providing. By all means, keep it coming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 10:23AM by wurm.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 10, 2018 10:22AM
I listen to NPR in the car, but I'm not "dead." In fact, I think and consider several viewpoints, and there is ample evidence NPR reflects that.

If I'm traveling I may try to find local music stations also, but usually that's a waste of time unless and until you come within range of a non-profit station aligned with a university.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 10, 2018 10:57AM
Yes, still listen to 5 or 6 hours of radio a day (I'm self-employed). NPR or the local classical station on FM in the morning, a local talker on AM in the afternoon. I'm lucky enough to live in Chicago, with good quality options for both.

I'd like to have better fidelity for the talker, but last I checked the streaming version had annoyingly repetitive PSAs inserted in place of the commercials. Much as I tire of Kars4Kids, the 5th repeat of the day of something from the Ad Council encouraging fruits and vegetables was worse.

Spotify or a YouTube music channel just seem too much like a jukebox for my taste. I want to learn or hear something new.

Biggest problem is when I'm out and about, shopping or running errands. I'd like to listen to the radio, but that means carrying a separate device around with me. So I tend to read instead, or listen to the music on my phone if I'm walking a familiar route.
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 10, 2018 11:01AM
Mostly satellite in the car, not a true option in the poll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 11:01AM by dk62.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 10, 2018 11:06AM
Not any more - I listen to books on my iPhone. Spouse listens to Sirius
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 10, 2018 11:25AM
The only time I listen to the radio is when the freeway lights are blinking to alert everyone to road hazards. I listen to podcasts almost exclusively. Probably 80% podcasts, 15% music, 5% audio books.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 10, 2018 11:25AM
In my truck, for the past 20 years as I always got the budget radio with no aux jack. I listen to NPR occasionally, with a little classic rock from a station in the next county over.

I did get an updated sound system with the new truck I bought a couple of weeks ago. (I just transferred the plate and officially started driving it yesterday). It has USB AND an aux jack! My listening habits will definitely be changing with the new gear.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll be 60 in a few months.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 11:28AM by Rick-o.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 10, 2018 11:40AM
NPR in the car and at home. I don't have TV, so it stays on almost all day. Occasional oldies music or college basketball and baseball.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 10, 2018 11:46AM
Ammo
mikebw

So many freakin' commercials. I would spend 10 or more minutes scanning through stations just to find actual music, and on NPR it's the constant membership drives, or they are regurgitating the same stuff from that morning again in the evening. Can't stand it. I also think that my musical tastes have become wider than what radio can cover (read: there are no radio stations for some genres), and the normal rock/pop stuff that I used to enjoy doesn't satisfy anymore. Age range 31-40.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 10, 2018 02:17PM
51-60

OTA. The radio is almost always on when I'm in the car. Mostly music, but also some national sports talk.

I also listen to a few hours a day at home usually. There are a couple LOCAL sports talk shows that I like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 02:18PM by AllGold.
Date: April 10, 2018 02:26PM
....no, 'cause video killed the radio.....star......

Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: April 10, 2018 03:07PM
dk62
Mostly satellite in the car, not a true option in the poll.

Same here, 31-50. The vast majority of my listening is SiriusXM in the car, and is exclusively music (about 8 different stations) unless I'm catching up on real and/or fantasy football during the NFL season. I haven't turned on an AM or FM station in years.

We don't have the SiriusXM streaming option, so at home we stream Spotify to our speaker system either from a phone or from the Echo.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 10, 2018 04:05PM
I listen to NPR every day, using an app that drives me fricking crazy. I even bought an iPod nano that had FM capabilities but the antenna/headphone thing never seemed to work very well, always bouts of static.

I don’t drive every day. When I do, it’s either the radio, or I have my iPod plugged in. Since losing a couple decent local stations in the last year or two, it’s more and more iPod. Nothing wrong with Jack FM I guess but there’s only so many times I want to hear Sweet Child O Mine, and I hit that number twenty-seven years ago.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 10, 2018 05:45PM
NWPB (Northwest Public Broadcasting) does two 1-2 pledge drives a year that last a single day. They hype it heavily leading up to the day and tell everyone "If you hate pledge drives today is the day to make us shut up. We can't talk if we're answering the phones to take your money!"

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 10, 2018 06:29PM
I answered that I don't listen to radio, because I very rarely listen to traditional radio. Pretty much limit my listening to Sirius.

Being in a rental car for several hours today reminded me how painful it is to listen to most traditional radio stations.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 10, 2018 08:12PM
Here's a podcast about this subject you all might like: [www.thenexttrack.com] One of the guys is Doug Adams, of Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes fame.

They just updated the site but don't have it locked down yet, so don't freak out if your web browser thinks it's a phishing site!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 08:13PM by deckeda.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 10, 2018 08:56PM
XM in the car....Google play for everything else.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 10, 2018 11:21PM
I listen to the radio in my car while traveling, mostly commuting half an hour to and from work. A mix of talk stations and classic rock. Used to listen to NPR on those trips between home and work, but what is on the local station now at those times is not interesting to me. There is a station that carries some progressive talk shows, but it has been switching to more conservative hosts lately such as Lars Larson, John Batchelor and Jim Bohannon. They didn't get a replacement for the time slot that used to have Alan Colmes on earlier in the evening. So the rest of the time I listen to a classic rock station.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 11, 2018 11:17AM
commercials drove me away from OTA radio and television.

i am an NPR junkie so i listen to NPROne a lot. Clark Howard (Consumer Advocate) and Rachel Maddow get listened to as podcasts along with podcasts of NPR shows and the NYT The Daily. Audible.com for treadmill listening though for budget reasons i've cut back on that for now. most of my listening whether i'm home or in the car is through my iPhone. at home i also use Echo; don't even have speakers hooked up to my stereo receiver anymore.

music is Spotify Premium, Pandora or my own CD collection.

age is 60+;

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 11:19AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: April 11, 2018 09:56PM
Semi-regularly do some FM radio Non-profit station listening, incl both new/old music and talk.
Commercial radio is mostly unlistenable, but a dial spin still can entertain on occasion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 09:58PM by Psurfer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018