advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I delete the neighbors WiFi connects on my computer?
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 14, 2018 11:42AM
Under my WiFi logo is a long list of neighbor’s WiFi nets. Like Stonewall and a stonewall guest etc etc.

I thought I found a way to delete but it didn’t work. Many times when I fire up my computer it defaults to a neighbor net.

The neighbor nets are locked via their passwords and so is mine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I delete the neighbors WiFi connects on my computer?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 14, 2018 11:47AM
Two separate issues.

1. No, you can't get rid of your neighbor's WiFi network names from the WiFi menu. The list represents those networks within range that are broadcasting their availability and the network names will appear for so long as the neighbors leave their networks exposed.

2. You can stop your Mac from trying to connect automatically to a network by removing the network name from the network settings. You'll find the list of "preferred" networks in the System Preferences > Network > Advanced options. Click to highlight the name of the network that you want to remove and then click the little minus (-) sign to remove it.

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 14, 2018 11:47AM
go to network preferences and delete it from that list

System Preference, Click on Network, Click on WiFi, then Advances, you may need to enter Admin password, WiFi tab again, then you will see a list of all WiFi stations you were connected, and you can delete it from there.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 14, 2018 12:33PM
ah, thanks because my computer just defaulted to stonehouse guest which isn't locked! appreciate.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: April 14, 2018 01:27PM
Also if you haven't done it yet go to Network Preferences > Advanced and in the list shown find yours and drag it to the top. Your computer will look at available networks in the order of that list.

Just in case as I have known people to do this, do not turn off your router, leave it on permanently. Not only is that good practice it means when you start up your computer it will be there ready and not try and find another.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2018 01:28PM by voodoopenguin.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 14, 2018 02:02PM
samintx
ah, thanks because my computer just defaulted to stonehouse guest which isn't locked! appreciate.

Mission Accomplished !

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 14, 2018 05:48PM
Tips above are great, in addition, in the list-Move your preferred network SSID up to the top of the list.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015