advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Been getting emails from "Apple" about activity on my account and then a purchase
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 14, 2018 03:00PM
I have to go to a wedding right now and can't do anything. My iPhone wouldn't connect when I tried to change my password yesterday or Thursday I put a hold on my debit card being used and they said there was no activity yet. That was yesterday or Thursday. On the iPhone I can't hover over any links to see if they change. My connection is bad so I can't paste any of the emails right now. Anyway I hope I have some suggestions waiting when the get back from the wedding and parties tonight. I know spams can look very convincing but this one looks pretty convincing.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Been getting emails from "Apple" about activity on my account and then a purchase
Date: April 14, 2018 03:20PM
They used my full name and account name. The third one showed someone with a Chinese name downloaded some music on iTunes.
Re: Been getting emails from "Apple" about activity on my account and then a purchase
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 14, 2018 03:24PM
I get fake emails almost on a daily basis claiming that my account is compromised. They are obvious fakes, and the most amusing thing in them is the street address that they use at the bottom of the page, it's Google's headquarters address, not Apple's.

You received this email to let you know about important changes to your profile and services.
© 2018 mac.com., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 14, 2018 03:31PM
I get a bunch of fakes too.
First thing I do is click on the senders name. That gives it away as a phisher.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 14, 2018 06:20PM
I received a message from the App Store program on my iMac saying my account was locked. Stepped me thru unlocking it but I couldn’t do anything until that was done. I hope you are able to resolve your issue without too much pain.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 15, 2018 08:27AM
They used my full name and account name. The third one showed someone with a Chinese name downloaded some music on iTunes.

So did you go to your iTunes account (not via any enclosed link, obviously) and check for activity? Was this in fact a phishing expedition?

I got one for my iCloud account that looked pretty good but they used 'Customer' and no actual or user name. Spelling was spot on but syntax needed a little work. But it provided links to click for my convenience.

Something that bothers me is companies that send genuine fraud warnings to their customers and include relevant links to deal with the situation in the email. With current and conventional wisdom telling us not to trust those links, they should be telling is to go to their website, address shown in the email, but not as a live link.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 15, 2018 09:37AM
I can't get the real apple account to look ad because my reception is bad. I got 2 invoices this morning - $99 and $79. All the links go to the real Apple. The have my account name and used my real name and real mailing address. They said they used Visa ending in ****5156. I don't have a card with that number.

I wasn't able to cut and paste the emails and paste them here.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: April 15, 2018 09:51AM
If it’s not your Visa card that was used, why do you care what they bought?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 15, 2018 11:08AM
Lots for very good phishing out there. I was suckered by one a few months ago. Now I just check my account directly. Never, ever, ever click on a link in an email.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 15, 2018 01:58PM
I got 2 invoices this morning - $99 and $79. All the links go to the real Apple. The have my account name and used my real name and real mailing address. They said they used Visa ending in ****5156. I don't have a card with that number.

So someone owns that card, and to them or their advocate, it looks like you're using their card to make purchases.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015