advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need a new propane grill. My Weber has rusted away.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 15, 2018 10:14AM
I know, I have six inches of snow on the ground. But we think spring and summer will come someday.

We have a structurally failing Weber silver grill that I rebuilt the burners a few years ago. But the stand is failing now - only upright because of tie downs.

My lovely wife suggested we should get a new one, and we visited Home Depot. We are thinking of $500 or so to invest.

Weber looks fine but so do others like Kitchen Aid.

We have a three burner model now. No side burners.

Just want one that's easy to use and maintain.

TIA!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need a new propane grill. My Weber has rusted away.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 15, 2018 10:28AM
I have a Char-Griller Duo that I expanded into a "Trio" (it's easy, cheap, and the grill is designed to accommodate the "mod," you just bolt on a small stand-alone grill to create the smoker firebox). Been very happy with it, although it's FRIGGIN' HUGE.

I keep it covered ($20 canvas cover from Amazon), which helps knock the rust down.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 15, 2018 11:04AM
Just saw the America's Test Kitchen review, they named the Weber Spirit E-310 ($499) their top pick.

currently $449 @ HomeDepot

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 15, 2018 11:29AM
Stick with Weber.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 15, 2018 11:45AM
I just bought a Weber E-210 (natural gas model) to supplement my Traeger Select Pro and so far I'm happy with it. Feels solid and comes up to temperature quickly. I'm sure the E-310 previously mentioned would be the same but bigger.

Posted by: Mr645
Date: April 15, 2018 12:45PM
I bought the 3 burner Kitchenaid grill for $99. Works great,

The searing burner is awesome for steaks, gets really hot, cleans up nicely.

Downside is it takes 2-3 hours, 70 steps to assemble.

But I am impressed with it for the price point
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: April 15, 2018 01:04PM
MrNoBody
Just saw the America's Test Kitchen review, they named the Weber Spirit E-310 ($499) their top pick.

currently $449 @ HomeDepot

Woot!! Woot!! I have the best of something!
Not just old crap that will get me by for awhile.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Date: April 15, 2018 01:19PM
Thanks. I should look into natural gas models. I have service to my deck.
Date: April 15, 2018 01:41PM
I wasn't sure how using natural gas with my E-210 would work. I had heard natural gas doesn't burn as hot. No problems though. I have to leave the grill on it's lowest setting to keep it at 500 degrees. It gets a lot hotter. It came up to temperature extremely fast. So I think natural gas is a'ok. Super convenient as I already had the hookup as well.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 15, 2018 03:28PM
Natural Gas (methane) and Propane burn in air @ 3500-3600F.
But, the commercial propane sold in the US is not pure. Just guessing, but the burn temperature might vary widely dependent on the burner design and the regulator used.
dunno smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 15, 2018 04:35PM
I replaced my propane grill last year with a Pit Boss kamado (similar to the Big Green Egg but cheaper). Takes a bit longer to get up to temperature, but grilling with lump charcoal is so much better than regular charcoal or propane. Family noticed the difference with the first grilling.
Date: April 15, 2018 05:12PM
I've never used charcoal but I know food comes out way better on my wood burning traeger vs cooking in the kitchen oven. Lots of added flavor.
Date: April 15, 2018 09:17PM
Consumer Reports like the Weber E-210 as well.

I need to sort out whether I want to go for the natural gas hookup.
Date: April 15, 2018 10:29PM
Anyone know the key differences between the Weber Spirit and Genesis lines? It's very confusing with two different E-210 and E-310 models.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 15, 2018 11:52PM
sekker
Consumer Reports like the Weber E-210 as well.

I need to sort out whether I want to go for the natural gas hookup.

They have consistently liked either the E210 or E310 for decades.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: April 16, 2018 06:33AM
sekker
Anyone know the key differences between the Weber Spirit and Genesis lines? It's very confusing with two different E-210 and E-310 models.

Main differences is the cheaper Weber is made in China and the more expensive one made in the USA.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 16, 2018 08:01AM
sekker
I know, I have six inches of snow on the ground. But we think spring and summer will come someday.

We have a structurally failing Weber silver grill that I rebuilt the burners a few years ago. But the stand is failing now - only upright because of tie downs.

My lovely wife suggested we should get a new one, and we visited Home Depot. We are thinking of $500 or so to invest.

Weber looks fine but so do others like Kitchen Aid.

We have a three burner model now. No side burners.

Just want one that's easy to use and maintain.

TIA!

Weber went back to having an open cart last year. Anything with doors traps moisture. If you want a grill that lasts as long as what you have now, buy another Weber.

No one supports old models the way Weber does. I've restored and flipped a few of their gassers. I like the older models, with black, open, square tube frame. I can't think of any other instance where people can still use a 20-30+ year old GAS grill unless it's a Weber.

And really, this is the time of year to be hunting them on craigslist, FB Marketplace ...

The differences between the Spirit and Genesis lines is that for a given number of burners, the Genesis is the bigger grill. It'll have more cooking space. Being more expensive, it'll probably also have more/better features. They redid the burner design also. Here's a rough comparison at H-D: [www.homedepot.com]

They are actually both made in China now. Only the S-series Genesis (and Summit) grills are made in USA.

The last-generation Spirit 2 burner can be had for $350, but that kind of money (or much less) can buy a 20 year old Genesis that's a better machine. smiling smiley
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 16, 2018 08:23AM
If you go to the store and see/feel the Spirit and the Genesis models you can tell immediately which one is better quality. The knobs, the handle, the lid, etc. I went with the cheaper "best bang for the buck" Spirit model because the wife was at the store with me sad smiley Weber Spirit SP-320

Whoever designed the previous gen Weber models with the closed cabinet door is an idiot. The propane tank hookups are inside. It is in the absolute worst possible location to swap out. You have to sit on the ground and hunch over looking inside the cabinet to unmount the old tank and put the new full 35lb tank onto the hook. It's just awful. For me, in hindsite, it's a dealbreaker for me. Glad they changed the design.
Date: April 16, 2018 08:37PM
Thanks for all the great info, team MRF!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 16, 2018 08:40PM
Meat Resource Forum. People forget that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015