advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lightning Storm
Posted by: Frank
Date: April 15, 2018 08:28PM
Just heard the loudest lightning/thunder clap ever. My wife, Laura, and I were playing Rumikub on the lanai ... our usual lunchtime fun. We've had a lightning storm around us for about 15 hours but that big one was just too close. Scared the bejeezus out of us. I guess it hit 300-500 feet away. Our neighbor called, thinking it might have hit our house.
As I was laying in bed last night listening to the thunder and seeing the flashes I got to thinking about the safety of being in a waterbed on the upper floor. What do you all think? Its heated and the heater has a grounded plug.
Feeling a little sorry for the tourists visiting Kauai the past few weeks. Its been so rainy. Today we have flash flood warnings, the roads are flooded, a couple of houses slid off their foundations up in Haena and there have been several landslides up there as well. The Wailua River below our house is raging and the ocean is brown around the river outfalls. Not the best vacation weather!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lightning Storm
Posted by: billb
Date: April 15, 2018 09:09PM
Frank

As I was laying in bed last night listening to the thunder and seeing the flashes I got to thinking about the safety of being in a waterbed on the upper floor. What do you all think? Its heated and the heater has a grounded plug. !

(most of) The bed probably won't burn in the fire.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: April 15, 2018 09:26PM
[forums.macresource.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 15, 2018 09:59PM
Consider sleeping on the sofa for a while.
Last summer we had a client from Alaska at our facility for recovering addicts and she had never seen a thunderstorm. Apparently they don't get many of those in Alaska. She sat out in a chair in the middle of a thunder and lightning storm having the time of her life. Got totally soaked of course, but managed to avoid getting electrocuted. Management would have been aghast, but those of us at a lower level figured her chances of survival were good.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 10:00PM by blooz.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 15, 2018 10:03PM
[www.youtube.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 15, 2018 10:27PM
jdc
[www.youtube.com]
Love that! Great memories.
Date: April 15, 2018 10:30PM
DP
[forums.macresource.com]
Yeah, I know, but people pay big bucks to come here for warm sunny weather. Guess I shouldn't be complaining.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: April 15, 2018 10:53PM
In 2015 there was a house about a mile from my house that was struck by lightning late in the day. I was standing in my living room and I thought it struck the electric pole just behind my house. I took this picture about 5 minutes after the strike. It was fully engulfed in flames.

The people were home and said they had to hurry to get their kids and pets out before it was fully engulfed in flames. Volunteer fire dept was about 2 miles away and got there quickly. Only thing left standing were the front walls.

They sold the property and the new owner took a big bucket loader and cleared it off down to the slab. They built a new house using the old slab.

I realized if you get a direct strike, grab family and pets and get OUT!

Only the front walls left standing.

Fred
Date: April 16, 2018 01:16AM
Fred_Also
In 2015 there was a house about a mile from my house that was struck by lightning late in the day. I was standing in my living room and I thought it struck the electric pole just behind my house. I took this picture about 5 minutes after the strike. It was fully engulfed in flames.

The people were home and said they had to hurry to get their kids and pets out before it was fully engulfed in flames. Volunteer fire dept was about 2 miles away and got there quickly. Only thing left standing were the front walls.

They sold the property and the new owner took a big bucket loader and cleared it off down to the slab. They built a new house using the old slab.

I realized if you get a direct strike, grab family and pets and get OUT!

Only the front walls left standing.

Fred
Interesting that the lightning bolt didn't hit that tower to the left of the house instead.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 16, 2018 06:12AM
Frank
Yeah, I know, but people pay big bucks to come here for warm sunny weather. Guess I shouldn't be complaining.

I know, I was just tweaking you a bit. I would love to see a Spring thundershower along about now! We're still predicted to get cold and snow-well, snow flurries anyway-for a few days yet.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 16, 2018 09:45AM
Frank,
Glad you guys are okay. One of the weathermen here in NE Ohio was a bit famous in that he survived two lightning strikes. One was while he was sitting in his living room in Florida... the strike came in though his lanai, into his living room, and he got shocked while watching TV. (about the storm, of course). A few years later he got zapped on the golf course.

Be careful out there !
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2018 09:55AM
A few years later he got zapped on the golf course.

He should have seen that one coming, so to speak. It's not an uncommon event.

A golf course is where some people show their greatest potential.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015