advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Refrigerator turning on me
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 15, 2018 09:51PM
Why would a refrigerator start freezing everything in the part that is not a freezer? I came home from being out of town and found everything frozen. I can't get the fridge to a temperature above 32º.
It is either off or everything freezes.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Refrigerator turning on me
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 15, 2018 10:25PM
Brand and model. How old?
Mine started acting weird when the temp sensor went out, it didn’t know the temp and would make the freezer so cold it froze the water line. That threw the heating element off and messed up everything else. Go that fixed and replaced another part. the freezer and fridge have been working fine for two years now. One was a known problem and the other I had to figure out on my own.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 16, 2018 01:23AM
There’s probably a door/panel between the freezer & fridge that got stuck in the open position. That would allow too much cold air to travel from the freezer down thereby causing items in the fridge to freeze.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 16, 2018 04:19AM
Often caused by frost buildup in the wrong place. A thorough defrosting of your fridge will often be enough. Ice can also buildup and block the proper flow between the freezer and fridge. And finally, if yours uses a fan to move the air between the two, if it fails or gets stuck the same problem will occur.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 16, 2018 07:35AM
It’s the first warning shot in the Appliance Uprising against their fleshy oppressors.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 16, 2018 08:38AM
I will add to the theories that debris gets trapped in the drain channels on occasion and messes things up. Pull the food out and turn the fridge off. Pull the fridge out, and do the following:
1- Vacuum and brush the underside and coils.
2- Let it fully defrost
3- Look for the evaporating pan under the fridge and find the drain line that drains the freezer defrost. Is water dripping down into it ? If not, you've got a clog. You can usually clear the clog by putting a bit of hot water in the bottom of the freezer and it will warm and hopefully clear the clog. If not, you may need to push a stiff wire up or down the drain line. I've used a piece of 12 gage insulated copper wire.

Good luck !
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 16, 2018 08:46AM
....at least the refrigerator isn't turning you on.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 16, 2018 10:46AM
thermostat may have failed. Is the compressor running continuously? As other have mentioned, a defrost and cleaning cannot hurt.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 16, 2018 06:57PM
Thanks everyone. I will try these before calling in repairmen.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 16, 2018 09:22PM
It’s the cold control which is a thermostat. If there was a blockage between the Reefridge in the freezer it would still shut off if the cold control was working.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 16, 2018 10:07PM
I was hoping you would chime in. I mentally file away your answers FWIW. You know, just in case.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 17, 2018 12:14PM
I had similar problems. The repairman defrosted everything until the channel from the top to bottom thawed. He changed out a thermostat in the freezer. There should be a YouTube for this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015