advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wireless surround speakers
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 16, 2018 07:19AM
So, where I live it's nigh-impossible to run speaker cables through the walls or under the carpet. This means if I want 5.1 or better surround sound, I need a wireless setup that works for any surround speakers (that is, anything other than Front Left, Front Right, Center Channel, and Subwoofer). Until recently, I had been using a Rocketfish device (similar to this one) to send signal from a Yamaha receiver to a pair of wall-mounted Polk speakers that I used as Surround Left and Surround Right.

This setup has been minimally adequate but subpar, and now that I have replaced the Yamaha with a Denon receiver the Rocketfish setup doesn't work at all. Previously the speakers would intermittently drop, and static charges would build and cause periodic "pops" from the speakers. Again, not optimal. Now, the speakers are not detected at all by the receiver, so no surround at all. rant smiley

Is there a reasonable, reliable, affordable way to do this? Help me, MacResource Forum, you're my only hope!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wireless surround speakers
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2018 07:41AM
My first thought is you should consider WiFi/AirPlay instead of BT, not only for the improvement in audio fidelity, but in a stronger, cleaner signal regardless of content. But I got nothing there.

Here's a device from audioengineusa.com that might fill the bill. It also uses aptX.

[www.youtube.com]

It's designed for L/R speakers, but I don't know why it wouldn't work with surrounds. It's not cheap but audioengine makes pretty decent kit.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 16, 2018 07:47AM
RAMd®d
My first thought is you should consider WiFi/AirPlay instead of BT, not only for the improvement in audio fidelity, but in a stronger, cleaner signal regardless of content. But I got nothing there.

It's designed for L/R speakers, but I don't know why it wouldn't work with surrounds. It's not cheap but audioengine makes pretty decent kit.

Thanks, RAMd@d - unfortunately, that would require a second purchase for me because that receiver only works with powered speakers. My Polks are not powered and run off speaker wire...the Rocketfish setup worked because it powered the speakers as well as receiving signal from the receiver.

rj
AKA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2018 08:05AM
Ah, ok.

Yes, the B1 and another amp could be a little pricey for surrounds.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 16, 2018 11:43AM
I guess I've had better luck than you with my Rocketfish Adapter.

Is the adhesive backed, flat, paintable speaker wire an option? You adhere it to the wall/ceiling, then you can mud over it and paint it to match.
Date: April 16, 2018 11:50AM
Gareth
I guess I've had better luck than you with my Rocketfish Adapter.

Is the adhesive backed, flat, paintable speaker wire an option? You adhere it to the wall/ceiling, then you can mud over it and paint it to match.

It's conceivable, but it would be a LOT of work. This is NOT a simple room where I'd just need to round a couple corners and we're good....

It's possible that my Rocketfish adapter has just kicked it after a few years of use. But, it was working okay with my old receiver...

rj
AKA
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 16, 2018 12:06PM
I researched this a few years ago when I bought my Rocketfish adapter. Unfortunately, I can't find any of the specifics, but I believe the Rocketfish was the only economical/reasonable solution without replacing a bunch of my existing gear. Normally, I would be willing to spend a little more for a better setup, but in this case, I believe it was spend a lot more.

It seems like if you really want wireless rears, it's best to start with a system that supports that out of the box, unfortunately...
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 16, 2018 06:46PM
Gareth
It seems like if you really want wireless rears, it's best to start with a system that supports that out of the box, unfortunately...

I kinda agree. So many "theater in a box" systems to choose from... but that means dumping the Polks

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 17, 2018 05:08AM
Rather than thru walls or under carpet, we used a series of channel and crown molding to wire everything for surround sound. After painting to match the walls, it wasn't unsightly. Perhaps another option to consider.
==
Date: April 17, 2018 07:01AM
Good news and bad news, kids. Apparently it was the Rocketfish adapter. Either the older version was incompatible with the new higher-output receiver (there is some indication that Rocketfish units struggle to deal with >90W/channel, but the documentation is thin), or it just happened to crap out when I switched units.

Picked up a new Rocketfish adapter set, and it's working fine. Phew! Thanks for the feedback - I was worried I'd be stuck saving for months to buy HEOS wireless speakers.....

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015