advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
circuit breaker panel
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 16, 2018 12:12PM
Actually, the question is about labeling the circuit breaker panel. As I investigate having a little rewiring done, I figured it would be a good time to make sure breakers are labeled as well as I can. In hunting down circuits and making notes, one thing I noticed looking at the panel, is that the circuits are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. down the left side and 13, 14, 15, etc. down the right side. Sadly, it looks like my writing (with a Sharpie). I probably did it years ago without thinking. Now as I'm researching panel labeling, I see that conventional numbering is odd numbers down the left side, and even numbers down the right.

Is it worth renumbering them properly or is it just a matter of convenience? Is there anything "wrong" with them numbered the way they are? And if I chose to renumber them the conventional way, how the hell do I remover that Sharpie?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: circuit breaker panel
Posted by: clay
Date: April 16, 2018 12:20PM
can you cut a sheet of sticky address labels to cover the old info? Or write on a piece of paper and tape it over the incorrect labels?

Yes, do this now while you are thinking about it. You will need to reference it at some point in the future and it will be good to know what is what.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 16, 2018 12:22PM
Mine are numbered too. I just made a layout in Illustrator with a list of items that breaker controls that corresponds to the number.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 16, 2018 12:30PM
IMHO the descriptions are more important than the numbers. Never use the name of the bedroom occupant. Compass directions are best (East Wing, West Wing, level 10 subterranean bunker, Skynet AI core, etc..)
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 16, 2018 12:48PM
Does the panel have factory numbering, often it's stamped into the metal and painted over so you need to look from an angle with the right amount of light/shadow to make it out.
Date: April 16, 2018 01:09PM
Thanks, all. I had heard/read that panels had numbers stamped into them, but I don't see that on this panel; which is probably why I numbered them with the Sharpie back when I did. I do have number stickers, so I can probably cover them that way. And as long as I'm doing that, I might as well number them the right way. Then I will cross-reference those numbers with a sheet describing what breaker goes to what outlets and switches in their respective rooms.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 16, 2018 01:23PM
I've been keeping a google spreadsheet for years now, and updating it every time I have a need to shut off a circuit. Very handy.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 16, 2018 02:31PM
I don't think you have to relabel them. I'm guessing the reason they're traditionally labeled like that was is to discourage diy-ers from putting all the load on one leg of split-phase wiring (so they numbered them left-right-left-right).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 16, 2018 03:35PM
FWIW... the large factory where I work has a very specific labeling standard for all electrical usage points. BayColumnQuadrant-Panel-Breaker.

So if you go to a breaker panel you will see 1A1-AA , the panel for a 500 ton Minster progressive die press in bay 1A quadrant 1 (North west). And if you go to the machine, 1A1-AA is on the shutoff switch.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 16, 2018 03:42PM
.....not a heart....breaker......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: April 16, 2018 03:46PM
pdq
I don't think you have to relabel them. I'm guessing the reason they're traditionally labeled like that was is to discourage diy-ers from putting all the load on one leg of split-phase wiring (so they numbered them left-right-left-right).

How would that work ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: April 16, 2018 03:56PM
wurm
Actually, the question is about labeling the circuit breaker panel. As I investigate having a little rewiring done, I figured it would be a good time to make sure breakers are labeled as well as I can. In hunting down circuits and making notes, one thing I noticed looking at the panel, is that the circuits are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. down the left side and 13, 14, 15, etc. down the right side. Sadly, it looks like my writing (with a Sharpie). I probably did it years ago without thinking. Now as I'm researching panel labeling, I see that conventional numbering is odd numbers down the left side, and even numbers down the right.

Is it worth renumbering them properly or is it just a matter of convenience? Is there anything "wrong" with them numbered the way they are? And if I chose to renumber them the conventional way, how the hell do I remover that Sharpie?

There's nothing wrong with the way you numbered them as long as your directory matches your numbering system
If your panel didn't have stamped numbers the directory that came with the panel also likely didn't have numbers

You can also often remove sharpie with acetone ( commonly found in fingernail polish remover )

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 16, 2018 03:58PM
.....will mayo work on sharpies......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 16, 2018 04:34PM
Thanks. I'll probably make an attempt at removing the old marker numbers. If it proves to be too much of a PITA, I'll take some comfort in knowing it's okay to leave them as is. As you say, as long as the numbers match to the directory description, I should be okay.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 16, 2018 04:38PM
Lacquer thinner will take a sharpie off.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2018 04:44PM
I'd relabel if legibility was an issue.

Number/label them anyway that makes sense to you or anybody else that might need to secure a breaker. It's not like firefighters know that #4 is always the kitchen outlets, or whatever.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 16, 2018 07:37PM
I used a label maker and put the labels on the breaker itself - no chance of getting the wrong breaker.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: April 16, 2018 08:06PM
Rubbing alcohol will remove Sharpie from non-porous surfaces.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 16, 2018 09:35PM
If you're going to take the time and trouble of locating WHICH breaker powers WHATEVER outlet/light/etc, I'd correct the mislabeling and use the industry standard.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 17, 2018 08:16AM
Before doing anything like changing numbers. letters, labels, room descriptions, etc. take a close up (readable) photo of it, just in case you need to reference how it was labeled originally.
Date: April 17, 2018 09:43AM
3d
Before doing anything like changing numbers. letters, labels, room descriptions, etc. take a close up (readable) photo of it, just in case you need to reference how it was labeled originally.

Already did that. That was the easy part. smiling smiley
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 17, 2018 12:17PM
There are printable templates if you google for them. I'm going to get one and put it in an 8.5X11 plastic cover and nail it next to the box.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015