advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gorilla Duct Tape vs caulk..the Gorilla wins
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 16, 2018 01:54PM
I have a window project that i had to put on hold last Spring..not close to home..

I had, after rebuilding the bottom of the openings, installed some new exterior sills to replace the water damaged, rotted previous's..

..no details on the sills, clear pine..smooth, flat, ripped on a table saw with an able to meet the glass and an angled rip to drain properly..These are big picture windows right on Lake Michigan..this place gets pounded.

I was gonna put a bead of caulk on them to get them through a couple of seasons but changed my mind and decided to rip a long, neat piece of gorilla tape and put it up where the sills meet the glass..bout 4 feet long..installed carefully and tight and then lapped over the right and left corners to protect them..to picture..the tape is installed in the same way caulk would be installed here..cept it's tape..black, tenacious, Gorilla brand duct tape.

I checked on them once late in the fall..perfect..no water infiltration reported by owners etc..who were stumped because water had ALWAYS found it's way in and around the windows at the sills..40 + mile an hour winds and rain..this had been an ongoing issue for 40 years..

Came back a few days ago to catch some decent wether (none) and finish the carpentry...perfect again..the homeowners were like..'damn, these windows have never made it this far after maintenance of any kind'..

BTW..these are not commercial windows dropped into an opening..Simple framed out opening with a thermopane drop in and 1/4 round pine trim to seal..paint and then a variety of caulks attempted over the years..silicone being the most successful but certainly the biggest pain in the ass on a painted surround..paint fails first..silicone immediately following

Got me thinking..i mean..this stuff, in shade, would last a quite a while..(windows get a lot of sun here) but..so far I see almost zero degradation..super tight seal..doesn't look that bad installed neatly..it friggin works.

(Newt's gonna love this thread, damn, I'll let her handle the caulk..someone else needs to restrain the gorilla)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 01:55PM by Kraniac.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gorilla Duct Tape vs caulk..the Gorilla wins
Posted by: hal
Date: April 16, 2018 02:13PM
I discovered that stuff a couple of years ago and it's amazing. I use it for impossible tasks all the time and at least half of the time, it actually works.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 16, 2018 02:43PM
Get some Lexel sealant and run the test again...
The stuff oughta outlast just about anything, but if you're using it on a painted surface, you'll need some awesome paint to keep up.
Not to say the Big Ape Tape isn't great, it is, but for some high stress caulking situations, Lexel is a formidable solution.

==
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 16, 2018 03:21PM
Interesting... so the tape is essentially acting as flashing ?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 16, 2018 04:05PM
.....thought caulk was like pizza.....there is no bad....caulk.....gulp........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 16, 2018 05:45PM
are we talking about this item?

[www.amazon.com]

Date: April 16, 2018 07:52PM
cbelt3
Interesting... so the tape is essentially acting as flashing ?

C,

It sort of 'looks' like flashing..but it relies on the tenacious adhesive in the tape It's not installed with any kind lap system like a typical flashing in a situation where you can lap it..So, I'd have to say that since it's stickiness thing, it's more like caulk where you rely on a bead to stick and resist a bit of movement..

I ran about 1 foot of the same size strip down the sides of the opening and lapped over the main strip across the bottom..that's definitely like a flash..the main character here tho is the horizontal at the bottom..
Date: April 16, 2018 07:52PM
space-time
are we talking about this item?

[www.amazon.com]

That is the Gorilla in the room, Space.
Date: April 16, 2018 07:53PM
Buzz
Get some Lexel sealant and run the test again...
The stuff oughta outlast just about anything, but if you're using it on a painted surface, you'll need some awesome paint to keep up.
Not to say the Big Ape Tape isn't great, it is, but for some high stress caulking situations, Lexel is a formidable solution.

==

Hey Buzz..Im gonna check this stuff out..thanks for the let know..

Does it hold paint?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 16, 2018 08:26PM
Like I said, you need some awesome paint... technically it's paintable, but it's got tenacious gripping strength, and will stretch almost as well as Stretch Armstrong. The trick is to use paint that also has a bit of give to it so it doesn't crack, and also has some superior griping strength to it so it doesn't peel, then you should be fine. Lexel can even be used under water if need be, but for sealing up a few windows, you oughta be fine... and if it rains, you still oughta be fine. It's a bit harder to work with than ordinary caulk, as you might imagine given its sticky, sealing properties, but it's pretty much a lifetime repair. Have fun, and good luck.
==
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 17, 2018 08:32AM
I will second that the Lexel is great stuff. We had lots of water infiltration issues at our old house and a roofer turned me on to the Lexel. Glad to know the GT is holding up though.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: tenders
Date: April 17, 2018 11:04AM
Gorilla Tape does what most people think duct tape does, but doesn’t. It’s great stuff, for what it is. No one should buy duct tape for anything except actual ducts, and even for ducts there are better solutions.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 17, 2018 11:38AM
what about Duck tape?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 17, 2018 12:31PM
space-time
what about Duck tape?

Holds until the sun dries it out and then it falls off leaving a residue that is nearly impossible to remove. If it gets wet, it just turns to mush.

You can make a prom dress out of it

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015