advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
For you camera and video fans
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 18, 2018 05:54PM
This is unbelievable, what sensors are now able to see (in pitch black)

[www.youtube.com]

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For you camera and video fans
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 18, 2018 06:14PM
Wow, impressive.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 18, 2018 06:27PM
ISO 4.5 Million. Wow.

Though using zebras as your target is about as close to cheating as it gets. Very high contrast, monochrome.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 18, 2018 08:04PM
Some humans can see pretty well under the light of a full moon, they just can't see colors at those light levels.

I wish they made a comparison to the most sensitive eye in the animal kingdom. The real challenge is still wide dynamic range. Do they have a single sensor that goes from full sunlight to seeing full spectrum rainbows in moonlight?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 18, 2018 09:09PM
Filliam H. Muffman
The real challenge is still wide dynamic range.

Especially when you view a photo on a real output device such as a computer monitor or printed photograph.

You have to select a portion of what you've captured (either on film or digital sensor) and discard some (or a fair amount) of your information.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 19, 2018 04:22AM
I recently sent a cell phone pic of a document that had been redacted w/ heavy duty felt pen that bled completely thru the stock. Since you couldn't see anything w/ your naked eye, I figured it was safe. Imagine my surprise when the lawyer I sent the pic to called back and said it couldn't be used because the printing underneath showed thru. When I brought the picture up on my computer monitor, he was right, what you couldn't see IRL was right there on the screen. While 120MP is impressive as heck, apparently many sensors are fully capable of kicking our eyeballs' butts, well if our had butts, that is.
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 19, 2018 02:46PM
Some humans can see pretty well under the light of a full moon, they just can't see colors at those light levels.

Nor shadow detail, especially when looking directly at something. Under those lighting conditions one is better off looking near the object/subject and catching movement.

Or using NODs/NVGs. Still a problem seeing colors, though.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 19, 2018 03:51PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Actually if you are an amateur astronomer, you learn to see and move about by starlight. In fact, the Moon is a friggin' pain in the arse because it's so damn bright. It's funny how you just don't notice (or get used to) the no color bit but then in the scope, nothing except the brightest things in the sky (planets and bright stars) have any color at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020