advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
small print
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 18, 2018 06:26PM
I am so tired of small print. I know I'm getting older but I need a magnifying glass to read the print on just about anything. It is very frustrating. There. I let it out.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: small print
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 18, 2018 06:28PM
Time for reading glasses. Costco sells them in a 3-Pack for around $19. Several different magnifications, start low, just what you need and work your way up over the years.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 18, 2018 06:39PM
MagniPros 3 Ultra Bright LED Lights 3X 4.5X 25X Power Handheld Reading Magnifying Glass with Light from Amazon is $8.95. This was a Christmas gift - I use it all the time.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: April 18, 2018 06:42PM
The other thing I hate is the light gray print. Makes it harder to read, for me. And then when you print it out it's not much better.

Fred
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 18, 2018 06:53PM
Fred_Also
The other thing I hate is the light gray print. Makes it harder to read, for me. And then when you print it out it's not much better.

Fred

For me it's not so much the size, it's the contrast. Friggin' light gray print…

Sign your life away on this dotted line………………………
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: April 18, 2018 08:50PM
Most of the websites you can easily make bigger. I have to do it all the time. Hold down Command and then type the + key.

MY complaint is any pages or info windows by our dear APPLE. NO WAY TO ENLARGE THEM.

Apple menu>system preferences>system report. Try to enlarge that sucker. NO STUPID WAY! All of Apple's dialogue boxes etc.

NOT the APPLE I remember.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 18, 2018 09:52PM
I use my phone's camera and zoom in for a ready magnifying glass.
Also I got an awesome pair of progressive lens glasses. Honestly, Lenscrafters makes scary good progressives. Super expensive but the optics are awesome.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 18, 2018 10:14PM
Yeah, we have a small hand held magnifying lens on the microwave to try to read the ever-shrinking text size, blurry print and ever-increasing amount of text on packaging.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: MarkD
Date: April 18, 2018 10:34PM
Try the dollar stores. Glasses with magnification for a buck. The 99 cent stores in the Houston area even had cases with the glasses. I use to get them for my brother.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 18, 2018 10:38PM
Food label requirements:
[www.fda.gov]

Drug label requirements:
[www.fda.gov]

I guess you could complain to the FDA if the print is too small...

There are also size minimums for contracts and other things as well.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 18, 2018 10:57PM
WHiiP
MY complaint is any pages or info windows by our dear APPLE. NO WAY TO ENLARGE THEM.

Try this.
[osxdaily.com]

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: April 19, 2018 07:57AM
Sarcany
Try this.
[osxdaily.com]

I will try that. Now if I can only remember the new key combo...

Thanks

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: April 19, 2018 08:10AM
New 27" Asus monitor here, everything's cool except the header across the top of the page.

Without changing the screen resolution is there a way to make the header (apple, file, edit, view go, window, help) larger?

Presently running High Sierra, monitor to computer, display to mini display in Thunderbolt port.

Thanks.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 19, 2018 08:21AM
....some say......'the smaller......the better'.................

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 19, 2018 09:03AM
For me it's not so much the size, it's the contrast. Friggin' light gray print…

This is been my complaint with iOS.

I've always liked the elegant Ultra font. It's always looked great for me, but the contrast was insufficient. After all the complaints, it seemed for a time that Apple may the font thicker/bolder and lessened the contrast.

And dynamic font resizing? Great, except Apple doesn't use it on their own font. I'd love to see Apple put that back on a diet and just have a slider for contrast.

So I use the triple-tap > Zoom feature a lot. Fairly clumsy to move the Zoom window around, but it helps.

I've used Ctrl-Scroll to zoom in Mac OS X/macOS for years. Very handy. Once setup, the keyboard command is very easy to remember and becomes second nature. It makes me wish there was a Ctrl key on both sides of the menu bar.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: April 19, 2018 11:22AM
davemchine
I am so tired of small print. I know I'm getting older but I need a magnifying glass to read the print on just about anything. It is very frustrating. There. I let it out.

Well be thankful we live now and know that solutions to declining vision are available. My wife and I at 76 & 74 have endured the declining vision of the past 25 years as our glasses have become less effective and requiring more frequent exams with new prescriptions to adjust to our rapidly declining vision. Recently we both had cataract surgery with replacement lenses and it has entirely changed our lives, glasses are no longer needed and have been discarded. We both agree that our vision is now almost as good as it was in our youth, it is utterly amazing and we are still getting used to it. Medicare will pay for a basic approach that will do a decent job and if one is willing to pay extra there are some amazing optional hi-tech lenses that really deliver fantastically clear and wonderful vision. When the time comes do your research and reading and learn all you can as there are many choices and things to consider and you want to get it right the first time.
In summation small print and lack of contrast were also my pet peeve before cataract surgery, now I have to turn down the contrast on all my monitors and phones.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 19, 2018 03:23PM
Surfrider
New 27" Asus monitor here, everything's cool except the header across the top of the page.

Without changing the screen resolution is there a way to make the header (apple, file, edit, view go, window, help) larger?

Not exactly. If your display is high enough resolution and you're running at least Sierra, there's a chance that the OS will recognize it as a High DPI display and offer you the same pixel-doubling options in the Displays settings that you'd see on a Retina MacBook Pro. If the stars are aligned then you'll see scaling options for larger text. Technically, it's the same high-resolution so everything should have nice sharp edges, but at the same time, it's scaling elements so that they appear larger (which means that there's less room on the screen, just as if you'd changed the resolution), and the menu bar will be scaled up along with the rest of the GUI.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 20, 2018 02:11AM
Experienced this problem just tonight. Couldn't read the text on the end of a iPhone power adapter, even with my reading glasses. Tiny grey text on a grey background.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 20, 2018 05:45AM
Apple TV (I have model 4), especially the HBO GO App are the worst offenders here. They list the title of the show directly inside the picture, so quite often is a white font on light picture, good luck reading that.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 20, 2018 08:09AM
....can you get bigger eyes......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020