advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Trying to grow spaghetti squash from seeds from squash I bought at the store. Is it OK to naturally dry them first?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 19, 2018 05:41PM
I have no idea if it's the right season and don't have a bed made yet. Since I am slow to get things done, will just letting them dry at room temperature be OK until I have a plan?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trying to grow spaghetti squash from seeds from squash I bought at the store. Is it OK to naturally dry them first?
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 19, 2018 06:08PM
Lots of opinions here:: Saving spaghetti squash seeds?

Northern California Coast
Re: Trying to grow spaghetti squash from seeds from squash I bought at the store. Is it OK to naturally dry them first?
Posted by: billb
Date: April 19, 2018 07:08PM
dry to store them so they don't rot

most seeds for planting are from fully ripe "gone to seed" produce. A squash should be far enough along. Plant a few and see if they sprout. Should take three to ten days. They don't like to sit in pots very long so if it is too early throw them out. If you bought a hybrid squash the squash you get might look a little unlike the one you bought. Squash borers are not picky.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: artie67
Date: April 20, 2018 12:17AM
Dennis, I tried to post earlier but got into some business hangups. Pumpkins plant to pick range from 80 days to 110 for the bigger ones. I would recommend buying fresh seeds and your harvest will not carry on traits from commercial seed for the mass market.
Sources from the northeast like Johnnyseeds.com or new find for me and looks good is Seedsn'Such from South Carolina. If on the west coast I buy from TerritorialSeed.com in Oregon. All the above are no GMO suppliers.
Any questions send a PM and I'll get back. That goes for the forum also.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2018 08:37AM
Well... I've done that with banana peppers. It sort of worked, until the chipmunks got to the seedlings. The Chihuahuas can't catch 'em, and the cats all live indoors.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 20, 2018 08:41AM
....also grow some Marinara seeds.....to eat with the spaghetti squash......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 20, 2018 11:18AM
I've done this many times with pumpkins, which are just another variety of winter squash, as well as a bunch of other herbs and veggies and flowers.

It's fun with pumpkins because you never know what you'll get from the seed. Squash cross pollinates. Plant a giant jack o lantern strain next to a tiny white pumpkin, and the pollinators will cross pollinate them. The seeds you get from either will be unpredictable hybrids.

Your spaghetti squash seeds may have been cross pollinated by some other variety of winter squash. It could even have been cross pollinated by a summer squash like a zucchini. If you want to guarantee you get spaghetti squash, buy some spaghetti squash seeds. They're carefully grown in conditions to prevent accidental cross-pollination

Rinse the seeds, clean them gently, and dry them well. They'll last for years. At some point mites or insects will infest them, if you don't take precautions by dusting them with a pesticide. They can also grow mold or mildew, if they're kept too damp or have squash goop on them.

As seeds age, they lose their yield. After a couple years, maybe half of them won't sprout. But if you've got hundreds of seeds and only want a couple plants, that's not a concern.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 20, 2018 12:46PM
cbelt3
Well... I've done that with banana peppers. It sort of worked, until the chipmunks got to the seedlings. The Chihuahuas can't catch 'em, and the cats all live indoors.

Heh! That reminds me of the time I planted some apple seeds from some exceptionally spectacular apples I bought a few years ago. I had six nice seedlings that I grew inside, and after they got up to about a foot, I placed them outside in their pots. It was Spring, and I wanted to harden them up a bit before planting.

They didn't last a day. Some wildlife critter must have liked the taste, as they were stripped clean when I checked them.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 20, 2018 02:02PM
.....is it possible to get spaghetti carbanora....squash......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 20, 2018 02:54PM
Ahh, the joys of sexual reproduction. Had your apple seeds grown into trees, you would not have harvested the same cultivar of apple they’d come from. Collect 1,000 Granny Smith seeds and plant them, you’ll get 1000 new cultivars. 980 of them will not be any good for eating. Some of them won’t even be good for growing. If you buy a granny smith tree at the nursery, you’re buying granny smith branches that have been grafted onto hardy root stock. All granny smith apples come from grafting going back to one tree that hit the domestication jackpot.

Johnny Appleseed sowed the seeds of millions of apple trees. Very few of them were edible, but the point wasn’t to give people apples to eat, it was to give them apples to turn into cider.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 20, 2018 05:53PM
Hey Mike Johnson, I agree with all of that. I was hoping to get lucky and maybe get a great one, but my main deal was planting a few for the deer herd that's always mooching around for food.

I may try again but with those garden center varieties that go on closeout at the end of planting season.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: billb
Date: April 21, 2018 04:27PM
It should be getting close to planting them time down towards zone 7 and 8

I'd clean 'em up somewhat, stick 'em in the freezer for week to ten days in case the seeds need a freeze period to morph into a Spring seed and then just plant 'em.
Unless you want to store them for next year, in which case absolutely clean and dry them and then get them in an envelope or container and into a cool dry place.
I would stick several them in some dirt now to see if they are even matured viable seeds .
If the test babies don't sprout, roast 'em.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 21, 2018 06:24PM
billb
It should be getting close to planting them time down towards zone 7 and 8

I'd clean 'em up somewhat, stick 'em in the freezer for week to ten days in case the seeds need a freeze period to morph into a Spring seed and then just plant 'em.
Unless you want to store them for next year, in which case absolutely clean and dry them and then get them in an envelope or container and into a cool dry place.
I would stick several them in some dirt now to see if they are even matured viable seeds .
If the test babies don't sprout, roast 'em.

Sounds like a plan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018