advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Removing DRM from video?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 21, 2018 04:56AM
I want to buy a TV episode from either iTunes or Amazon and assume they both use DRM. I really dislike using iTunes (macOS) as a media player at all, and especially for video. I don't know what Amazon uses for a video player or if iT will even play it.

My player of choice is VLC because it works well with my Magic TrackPad and QTP does not. Scrubbing and volume control work really well with the MTP.

Can the DRM be removed from my video regardless of which one I get it from and if so, how do I go about it?

Another question, about Amazon video purchases... When I try to purchase an episode labeled HD/$2.99, the site pops up a window telling me that the episode can't be purchased for my computer. Are they saying there's a problem with my throughput, and why would that affect a purchase? I'm not streaming video; poor throughput is why I'm buying and downloading my purchase. I've got no Silverlight or Flash, if that's what they're on about.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Removing DRM from video?
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 21, 2018 06:58AM
Owning media without DRM is perfectly legal so long as you have a license.

If I have a particular title that I want the freedom to use without DRM restrictions, I usually get the optical disc. VLC and Handbrake can readily make an mp4; some media needs other software tools.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 21, 2018 07:40AM
First thing I'd try is running it through Handbrake.
Posted by: bik
Date: April 21, 2018 08:01AM
Amazon is almost exclusively streaming, and they use Silverlight on the web site. "Purchase" just means you can stream it over and over again.

For iTunes purchases, I'm not sure what the current DRM situation is, but I CAN play purchased movies in VLC and Quicktime Player.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 21, 2018 09:34AM
bik
For iTunes purchases, I'm not sure what the current DRM situation is, but I CAN play purchased movies in VLC and Quicktime Player.

VLC is decoding through QuickTime. Purchased videos from iTunes only play with Apple devices or via Apple QuickTime that are authorized under the same Apple ID used to make the purchase.

You can remove the DRM, but I won't go into details here, nor endorse such a practice. Most products that you'll find in a Google search for this type of software are scams. You might find a recommendation for a useful product on 9to5mac.com.

RAMd®d
Another question, about Amazon video purchases... When I try to purchase an episode labeled HD/$2.99, the site pops up a window telling me that the episode can't be purchased for my computer.

Not sure what's going on there. Have you tried a different web browser?

I'd recommend purchasing the DVD or BD and ripping it if you want to avoid the mess that is modern DRM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 09:35AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: bik
Date: April 21, 2018 10:55AM
bik
Amazon is almost exclusively streaming, and they use Silverlight on the web site. "Purchase" just means you can stream it over and over again.

Sorry. I was mistaken.
ITunes purchased movies don't play in VLC. I tested the wrong movie file earlier.

Also, fwiw, Handbrake doesn't recognize the DRMed apple video.

Still, you do get a dowloaded file that will play in Quicktime player, so that's a couple steps closer than Amazon, which is definitely just streaming with Silverlight.

As others have mentioned, you might find the easier road to be ripping a physical disc.

Tools for ripping. disc include things like Ripit, Make MKV, and Mac the Ripper. Once ripped and the DRM stripped, (depending on what type of disc and how you rip it) Handbrake can convert the video to something more widely useable.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 21, 2018 11:24AM
I keep my old Santa Rosa Macbook Pro solely for this purpose.

Runs iTunes 10.6.3 on Mac OS Version 10.6.8.

Then I use Requiem to strip the DRM. This only works on older versions of iTunes. I figure the iTunes store will stop working on this OS eventually but it's still working today.
Date: April 21, 2018 12:23PM
Owning media without DRM is perfectly legal so long as you have a license.

If I have a particular title that I want the freedom to use without DRM restrictions, I usually get the optical disc. VLC and Handbrake can readily make an mp4; some media needs other software tools.

Legality isn't my concern. Convenience is. Also, I didn't want to get the whole season, if it's even available on disk. Just one episode. I admit I did conflate legally removing DRM from audio with removing it from video. My mistake.

VLC is decoding through QuickTime. Purchased videos from iTunes only play with Apple devices or via Apple QuickTime that are authorized under the same Apple ID used to make the purchase.

And I could live with that instead of VLC if Apple brought the QuickTime UI into the 21st century. I love VLC's convenience of controlling volume and scrubbing with the MTP. Part of that may be based on my hearing (I really should see an audiologist) but I'm betting that audio mixing and mumbling in the video is the problem. Maybe.

Still, you do get a dowloaded file that will play in Quicktime player, so that's a couple steps closer than Amazon, which is definitely just streaming with Silverlight.

I guess I'll have to live with that. I did forget I could use QT instead of iT to play Apple video. And streaming is pretty much out of the question with my throughput (20/down) until I get WiFi improved. And really, I want stuff on my HD, not on my Cloud.

I keep my old Santa Rosa Macbook Pro solely for this purpose. f

I still have my Black MacBook (SR) but it needs a battery. I have a 2010 mini at 10.6.8. I'll have to see what version of iTunes it has. What is the version that Apple offered up recently as a standalone download?

I've got MacTheRipper, RipIt and handbrake. Again I don't know if the show is available on disk. I'll look into that.

Thanks for all the help, everybody.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: dk62
Date: April 21, 2018 01:25PM
You can download most Amazon content onto a device, not sure about computer. I do it when flying.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 21, 2018 01:34PM
Requiem is a software add-on for that specific version of iTunes. You will want to grab that, not the latest version.
Date: April 21, 2018 04:07PM
You will want to grab that, not the latest version.

You're referring to iTunes 10.6.3?

According to the Consumerist, it looks like I can buy videos and download them to various devices, but not a computer.

Also, it seems as though a purchased video has limited streaming to a computer that's subject to change without notice. I could buy a video on Amazon at some point be unable to stream to a computer or device, or download to a device and it's too bad so sad.

This restriction isn’t mentioned on the purchase page of the movie, nor is the customer given any such warning during the buying process. It’s not even directly mentioned on the “Amazon Instant Video Usage Rules” page, which states:

Viewing Period: Indefinite — you may watch and re-watch your purchased videos as often as you want and as long as you want (subject to the limitations described in the Amazon Instant Video Terms of Use).

So you then have to go that page and scour through more than 2,000 words to find:

Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions and for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming.

This appears to be an old article and I haven't found if any of that has changed.

So I'm not buying video from AMZ.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 21, 2018 07:57PM
....DRM a little DRM of me......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: April 22, 2018 03:09PM
Usenet.... just sayin'...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018