advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need to move wires from floor to wall
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 07, 2018 10:22AM
I am putting in a new laminate floor, and I don't necessarily want to have the wires coming through the floor as they currently do. The wall was built pre 1972, and looks to be Lath and Plaster... It appears the stud is to the left of that Electric socket.

Should I consider drilling at the base of the wall to the left of the STUD, and then cut a ADD ON BOX, (one of those blue things at Home Depot with ears that would hold in place and then have wires exit through it?

I would think I would be able to get the wires to the wall, and then through that base plate and then drill up, , I don't think there should be a firebrick in that short distance up to the level of the other electric box.

Or any other ideas?, Maybe just leave them where they are and come out through the base molding?

Come to think of it that seems a lot easier

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need to move wires from floor to wall
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 07, 2018 10:59AM
You typically don't want a router or network cables right next to an outlet.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 07, 2018 11:04AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Coax is a special case because great shielding. Your concept is a good one, go for it !

And.. typical cable installer laziness... drill through the floor and carpet instead of fishing through the wall. Ugh...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 07, 2018 11:09AM
cbelt3
Filliam H. Muffman
Coax is a special case because great shielding. Your concept is a good one, go for it !

And.. typical cable installer laziness... drill through the floor and carpet instead of fishing through the wall. Ugh...

Yep. We have a number of holes in our nice 1950s hardwood floor from those idiots. Speaking of which, what is the best way to plug up those holes? Find an appropriate sized wooden dowel and glue it in? Sand flush and stain?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 07, 2018 11:18AM
it's a simple thing..I'd cut a decent sized hole in the wall (enough to be able to work properly) where you want this box, neat, and then add some cuts of 2x4 for nailers (for when you cap the hole with drywall)..install a proper box bring in the wire(s) and cap and mud..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 07, 2018 01:23PM
......like a bird on a wire....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 08, 2018 05:28AM
C(-)ris

Yep. We have a number of holes in our nice 1950s hardwood floor from those idiots. Speaking of which, what is the best way to plug up those holes? Find an appropriate sized wooden dowel and glue it in? Sand flush and stain?

I'd use a hole plug cutter to make a precise plug and I'd use the appropriate wood. Lowe's sells 3" prefinished hardwood samples for less than $1. I'd imagine Home Depot does as well. I'd buy this: [www.lowes.com] and the appropriately colored hardwood sample and then drill out the pre-existing hole precisely and cut a plug from the wood sample at the appropriate spot to try to match the grain and then glue it in. If done carefully, it can be almost invisible and not require any finishing.
Date: May 08, 2018 06:15AM
Michael
I'd use a hole plug.....

.....what the.....???

Posted by: michael_s
Date: May 08, 2018 07:27AM
As for the wall, since it is low voltage you do not need a box. There is a metal plate/bracket with foldable ears that are made for this purpose. The ears hold the bracket in place and give you something to screw the cover to.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them at a big box store, but then again I have never specifically looked.

How many new receptacles are we talking about?

I may have enough to mail you a few.

PM if interested.
Date: May 08, 2018 08:11AM
....balls to the wall....

Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 08, 2018 10:25AM
Filliam H. Muffman
I’m considering doing that or at least putting it a foot away. Is there a reason for your concern?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 08, 2018 10:41AM
pqrst
Filliam H. Muffman
I’m considering doing that or at least putting it a foot away. Is there a reason for your concern?

EMI - [en.wikipedia.org]

Not a safety hazard, but power lines can cause interference in other electrical signal systems. The farther away the better, or if you have to cross paths do so at a 90 degree angle. Running parallel is about the worst thing you could do. >1 foot should be fine.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 08, 2018 11:03AM
michael_s
As for the wall, since it is low voltage you do not need a box. There is a metal plate/bracket with foldable ears that are made for this purpose. The ears hold the bracket in place and give you something to screw the cover to.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them at a big box store, but then again I have never specifically looked.

[www.homedepot.com]

Posted by: billb
Date: May 08, 2018 11:35AM
pqrst
Filliam H. Muffman

Now ask how unlikely that is to happen in a typical home environment outside of a utility room.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 09, 2018 10:17AM
mikebw
pqrst
Filliam H. Muffman

EMI - [en.wikipedia.org]

Not a safety hazard, but power lines can cause interference in other electrical signal systems. The farther away the better, or if you have to cross paths do so at a 90 degree angle. Running parallel is about the worst thing you could do. >1 foot should be fine.

It's a holdover of recommendations from the dark ages of AppleTalk and twisted pair networks. At least 12 inches spacing for parallel runs, cross at 90 degrees. Routers/hubs/access points 12 inches from outlets.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015