advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Old but still good headphones (Noisebusters) worth fixing?
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 09, 2018 09:14AM
They're pretty old; got them around 2007 to see if they would block out the Office Squawker's voice (they don't). Over the ear type.

Problem: the wire into one of the ear @#$%& is fraying big time right where it enters the ear @#$%&. I've got it taped to infinity and beyond at the moment and it's holding.

Is it even fixable or do I go shopping for another set when the wire breaks off completely? Got these based on the review here: thewirecutter.com (before the NYT bought them)

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Old but still good headphones (Noisebusters) worth fixing?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 09, 2018 09:18AM
If they don't even block the squawk, then why bother?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 09, 2018 09:27AM
If you can't properly repair them because they can't be taken apart, strain relief added and the connections soldered back up, they are, alas, fit only for the recycling bin.

It's the side effect of the Design For Manufacturability trend of the last 40 years. Press together, glue, etc... are all assembly trends that skip using fasteners like screws that allow repairs to be done. And deliberate "Design for Obsolescense" designs that don't include good engineering like strain relief and strong mechanical connections for cables make the disposable economy a reality.
Date: May 09, 2018 09:52AM
mikebw
If they don't even block the squawk, then why bother?

NOTHING BLOCKS THE SQUAWK*...at least this way I can listen to music in spite of the squawk.

*I've tried, believe me! Even just plain ear plugs don't do it.
Date: May 09, 2018 09:54AM
Padded ear pieces since my other word (@#$%&) was blocked.
Date: May 09, 2018 09:56AM
cbelt3
If you can't properly repair them because they can't be taken apart, strain relief added and the connections soldered back up, they are, alas, fit only for the recycling bin.

It's the side effect of the Design For Manufacturability trend of the last 40 years. Press together, glue, etc... are all assembly trends that skip using fasteners like screws that allow repairs to be done. And deliberate "Design for Obsolescense" designs that don't include good engineering like strain relief and strong mechanical connections for cables make the disposable economy a reality.

Hmmmmmm, might be fun to try if I get in a "maker" mode. I'm surprised they lasted this long without fraying.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 09, 2018 09:57AM
What word is getting censored in your text, L?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 09, 2018 10:03AM
Lizabeth... it's not terribly difficult. In fact there is a malleable product called Sugru that that works a treat. Folks here use it for Lightning cables, which are infamous at having poor strain relief design. I personally just use heat shrink tubing from Harbor Freight..

[www.amazon.com]
Date: May 09, 2018 10:45AM
cbelt3
Lizabeth... it's not terribly difficult. In fact there is a malleable product called Sugru that that works a treat. Folks here use it for Lightning cables, which are infamous at having poor strain relief design. I personally just use heat shrink tubing from Harbor Freight..

[www.amazon.com]

Oh, boy!! I like this stuff... WOOT! Ordering tonight and I'm going to do the tennis ball trick for the other half's shoes that are all over the stairs.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 09, 2018 05:44PM
Sugru is fun stuff to have on hand to fix a variety of little issues.

Not so sure it will help your headphones though, unless it can adhere to the earcup as well as the cable.

In electrical devices the general fix would be to open the device, cut the cable and affix (usually solder) it to the initial connection within the device. Easy for a clock or lamp. Headphones not so much. Very often headphone wiring is either too fine or delicate to easily solder.

I'd probably toss the phones (might try Sugru first) and get in-ear canal buds that have various size silicone or foam tips for maximum sound insulation/isolation. This way even low volume music will block ambient noise pretty effectively.

But I'm guessing this isn't the best solution for you or you would have tried it before now. One thing about wearing cans is most people will realize I don't want to be disturbed. With buds people assume they can engage me in conversation.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 09, 2018 07:42PM
RAMd®d
But I'm guessing this isn't the best solution for you or you would have tried it before now. One thing about wearing cans is most people will realize I don't want to be disturbed. With buds people assume they can engage me in conversation.

This..I'd rather have the Squawker have to raise her voice to get my attention.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2018 09:25AM
....can you still busta'......move....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015