advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is this possible? I want to buy airline tickest for grandaprents, and send the kids on the return flight
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 13, 2018 08:23PM
I want to invite my parents here for a few weeks, and they want to take the kids with them when they return, and a few weeks later my wife's Mom comes to visit us and brings the kids back. I am so I need 5 round trip tickets

1-parents come (2 tickets)
2-parents leave (2 tickets) and minor kids to with them (2 tickets)
3-mother in law comes (1 ticket) and brings the kids (2 tickets)
4-mother in law leaves (1 ticket).

I could buy all as one way fligts, and then I can enter specific information for the flights 2 and 3 where you have to specify that minor kids travel with an adult. But one way flights are several hundred more than round trip tickets.

So is there a way to buy these 5 tickets as round trip tickets, and specify that on trips #2 and #3 kids travel with grandparents?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 09:59PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is this possible? I want to buy airline tickest for grandaprents, and send they take the kids on the return flight
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: May 13, 2018 08:29PM
You would probably have to call the airline to explain it, and even then they may not be able to book all passengers on round trip itineraries.
Re: Is this possible? I want to buy airline tickest for grandaprents, and send they take the kids on the return flight
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 13, 2018 08:47PM
You could book separate legs.

I wouldn't worry about working too hard to make sure the kids are seated in the right spot. EVERYONE on the plane wants the kids to be happy!

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 13, 2018 08:51PM
Yes, they can all have round-trip tickets.

You will need to call the airlines to get the document requirements for minors. On both ends because I imagine you are going to have international flights. The document requirements for minors can be quite stringent so get them straight from the horse's mouth (the airlines and customs). Get it right or the minors won't be allowed to fly.

We checked out flights for a similar trip (grandparents, grandchildren.) I remember we needed notarized statements granting permission from both parents of each child. I don't recall if we had to provide a copy of their birth certificates.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 08:56PM by Speedy.
Date: May 13, 2018 09:14PM
I gave up, it can't be done online. I decided to email the travel agent we used 10 years ago for a similar situation, I found her contact and I hope she can sort this out tomorrow.
Re: Is this possible? I want to buy airline tickest for grandaprents, and send the kids on the return flight
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 13, 2018 11:32PM
This would be a great time to work with a knowledgeable travel agent.
Re: Is this possible? I want to buy airline tickest for grandaprents, and send the kids on the return flight
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 13, 2018 11:45PM
The airline ticket agent can do this via the airline's service number, you don't need a standalone travel agent. Booking online, when minors are involved, systems won't let you book their round trips with other people whose round trips are offset from those of the minors'.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 14, 2018 12:20AM
As you discovered, anything out of the ordinary is impossible online... call the airline directly and work it out. Or, as you’ve done, see if a travel agent can handle it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: May 14, 2018 01:52AM
Call the airline. A travel agent will have the same difficulty as you will. You're just adding an additional layer of complication.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 14, 2018 12:18PM
Also depends on the age of kids. I sent mine unaccompanied since they were twelve but had to select non-US carriers (US ones only allow 16+ to travel unaccompanied). I spent some time on the phone in the middle of the night helping them navigate CDG or FRA for connections, but it always worked out fine.
Date: May 14, 2018 06:56PM
I emailed the travel agent last night, she emailed me back some reservations today, it worked out OK, I paid by CC. The prices she quoted were already very good, now when I checked online the credit card, I see in fact the ticket prices were $30 cheaper each, there is a separate charge for $30 which I guess is her commission, but like I said the prices were excellent, she god exactly the dates I wanted, reasonable layover (not too long, not too short), all in all she did an excellent job.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2018 07:04AM
....so two thumbs up......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018