advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
NUC8 - a powerful small form factor PC
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 15, 2018 06:17AM
Would be the great basis for a Mac mini update.

[www.theverge.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NUC8 - a powerful small form factor PC
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 15, 2018 06:45AM
These have been around for a while and that was my first response too. Intel hasn't made one that is fully Hackintosh-compatible, perhaps because they don't want to anger Apple. While you can get MacOS up and running on them with a lot of futzing, there are inevitably glitches and hardware/driver shortcomings that would make it not worth my time to devote to the project for an 85%-compatible machine.

[www.tonymacx86.com]

[www.tonymacx86.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 15, 2018 09:09AM
Interesting. I was just thinking about having to eventually migrate away from the ancient MacBook I'm using as an HTPC. Would need to have digital audio out and remote control access at a minimum, doesn't look like this is quite there yet.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 15, 2018 11:24AM
The Radeon RX Vega M puts graphics performance pretty close to the mid-range 27" iMac. Another wait and see if someone at TonyMacX86 can get it too work.

The GPU should have been nice upgrade from the previous one, but it looks like Intel either botched the driver implementation, or hardware detection to play UHD/HDR files. It gets about a 7 out of 10. At least they tried.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 15, 2018 12:47PM
tenders
These have been around for a while and that was my first response too. Intel hasn't made one that is fully Hackintosh-compatible, perhaps because they don't want to anger Apple. While you can get MacOS up and running on them with a lot of futzing, there are inevitably glitches and hardware/driver shortcomings that would make it not worth my time to devote to the project for an 85%-compatible machine.

[www.tonymacx86.com]

[www.tonymacx86.com]

I used 2 Broadwell NUCs as Hackintoshes for about 2 years and no, they're not just set-it-and-forget-it like a Mac Mini. However for these NUCs, there were only 2 things that they did not go Mac-like once they were set up:

1. Wireless card not supported, needed to get a USB WiFi adapter for one and the other was Ethernet-connected anyway
2. The update from OS 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 *required* a BIOS change before it would work. Early adopters of 10.11.4 found this out the hard way and found the fix.

A very important aspect of the Hackintosh, and by extension Nucintosh, experience is to be patient with OS updates.

I did this for the big flexibility, performance, and price improvements over the Mac Mini:

Broadwell CPU 2.5 years ago as the Mini is still on the prev. gen Haswell today
2 RAM slots (max 16, now at 32 in later gens)
2 drive slots, 1x SATA & 1x m.2
$360 + $80 + $80 = $520 for an 3.1GHz i7 8GB 240SSD computer Geekbench score

The Skylake and later NUCs have a similar problem which is a dealbreaker for me: they don't always reconnect to the monitor after you switch the monitor inputs. I use a monitor shared with another Win 10 NUC (Kaby Lake) and my Skylake Nucintosh had this problem, which the Kaby Lake ones are also reported to have.

This must not be a dealbreaker for the people out there using Sky- and Kaby lake Nucintoshes (lots listed in GeekBench) and it doesn't seem to affect everyone but it's a major annoyance for me.
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 15, 2018 02:09PM
I hear ya, Lew Zealand. I’m running an i7 4700 Hackintosh myself that’s been way ahead of the value curve of any Apple product since I built it in 2014, and it’s still going strong. But I have to say I’ve spent hours and hours futzing with it over the years. It’s been fun, mostly, but if my time were worth $25 an hour I would have been way ahead pricewise with a bona fide Mac, and I would NEVER recommend a Hackintosh for anyone who doesn’t truly enjoy the futz factor.

Lack of compatible wireless card in your NUC: that means no location services, a PITA to miss even in a desktop.
Bad interversion MacOS upgrade situation in your NUC: big frustration, and the problem is that it could happen again for no apparent reason.
Other issues I’ve experienced: Clover upgrade/incompatibility/special configurations, BIOS setting confusion, hours and hours spent reading up on all the interesting workarounds on TonyMac website, replaced motherboard under warranty after a lot of troubleshooting a suddenly dead machine...all this stuff adds up.

Anyway, I’m not convinced the Hack/NUC is a great solution for most Mac people. The cheap factor wears off quick if you just want to get something done.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 15, 2018 02:14PM
tenders
It’s been fun, mostly, but if my time were worth $25 an hour I would have been way ahead pricewise with a bona fide Mac, and I would NEVER recommend a Hackintosh for anyone who doesn’t truly enjoy the futz factor.

Anyway, I’m not convinced the Hack/NUC is a great solution for most Mac people. The cheap factor wears off quick if you just want to get something done.

AAPL realizes that Hacks are not a threat to them since only bona fide geeks will trouble themselves to have one.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 15, 2018 02:27PM
tenders
The cheap factor wears off quick if you just want to get something done.

Yes. The initial investment is easy to justify, but I can recall once working at home on a freelance project where my Hack just decided to restart all by itself. Fortunately it booted up quickly, but it was still very inconvenient.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 15, 2018 02:30PM
tenders
The cheap factor wears off quick if you just want to get something done.

That was my experience with my hackintosh. I've written about it here several times. But the bottom line is that each Hack setup is unique, and there is no single support source for hardware or software that can help with the "whole picture". There are simply too many things that can go wrong, and when they do, I found myself up @#$%& creek without a paddle. When the machine worked, it was great. But when it didn't, it was a royal pain.

I would likely consider it as a secondary machine if there were a simple/basic model machine that came with even a modicum of support and standardization for the inevitable roadblocks.

I REALLY wanted the hackintosh route to be something I could stick with long term, but the stability and support just wasn't there. Yes, it's great being able to put in whatever powerful hardware you want, but the downsides just always seem to far outweigh the upsides for me at this point.
Date: May 15, 2018 04:18PM
Yeah, I started with a NUC for Hacking for the initial reason that I like low power computing (I love Mac Minis) but in hindsight, the NUC has the Hackintosh advantage of all the people using it are using the same hardware. It's about as standardized as Hackintosh hardware can get so the issues I see are the issues everyone with the same NUC sees and since the volume of people is high, those issues are either resolved or documented quickly.

I agree that building a Hack from scratch is just too daunting and in fact I was trying at one point to build a Win 10 PC from parts which were documented to work in a Hackintosh but gave up as it was too much of a hassle. Little Zealand ended up with a Ryzen 1200 & GeForce 1050 Ti and I have no idea if the MoBo, etc are Hackable as I'll never do it.
Date: May 15, 2018 04:24PM
Back to the OP, the Hades Canyon NUC8 hardware is an option for the Mac Mini but Apple won't use it as the 2 processor+GPU options are 65W and 100W, which is 2-3x higher than current Minis.

However, there are also other announced but not released yet NUC8s which have regular i5 quad core laptop parts with Intel's best iGPU (Iris Plus 555, nothing like the Vega though), which is more than adequate for Mini users and a huge upgrade over what's currently available from Apple.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 15, 2018 10:43PM
Too bad the NUC series is not hackable like the Dell mini.

As for being patient on OS updates - that’s true for me on my Apple hardware too these days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015