advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP: Tom Wolfe dies [ author ]...........
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2018 10:58AM
....at 87....

Tom Wolfe Dies: New Journalism Pioneer & ‘The Right Stuff’ Author Was 87

.....Tom Wolfe, the master prose stylist, journalist and novelist whose use of fiction techniques like dialogue, scene-setting and point-of-view energized non-fiction in the 1960s and ’70s, died Monday in New York. He was 87.

Wolfe, perhaps the preeminent practitioner of what would come to be called the New Journalism, authored the non-fiction The Right Stuff and the novel Bonfire of the Vanities, both of which became major Hollywood films.

His death was confirmed by his agent Lynn Nesbit.

MORE…

he had................'The Right Stuff'.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP: Tom Wolfe dies [ author ]...........
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: May 15, 2018 11:28AM
A gifted writer. RIP.

The Bonfire of the Vanities is one of my favorite books. It's a shame the movie made from it is so dreadfully bad. The book deserves better.

The Right Stuff is/was one of my favorites too, and it got a pretty good movie. But I soured on it, and Wolfe, when I came to understand the inexcusable trashing of Gus Grissom's reputation. Grissom was arguably the most gifted and technically adept of the Mercury 7, yet Wolfe portrayed him as a bumbling rube Okie. That cannot be forgiven.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 15, 2018 12:46PM
He wrote a fine story, truth be damned.

RIP

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 15, 2018 01:25PM
Uncle Wig
A gifted writer. RIP.

The Bonfire of the Vanities is one of my favorite books. It's a shame the movie made from it is so dreadfully bad. The book deserves better.

The Right Stuff is/was one of my favorites too, and it got a pretty good movie. But I soured on it, and Wolfe, when I came to understand the inexcusable trashing of Gus Grissom's reputation. Grissom was arguably the most gifted and technically adept of the Mercury 7, yet Wolfe portrayed him as a bumbling rube Okie. That cannot be forgiven.

I loved the book and enjoyed the movie. Wasn't expecting it to compete with the book. I've read everything he's written (my favorite; "A Man in Full).

He wrote so few books that I dreaded the day he'd stop writing. He was like, a book a decade. I'm gonna re-read them all now.

One if the times when you really mean "He will be missed."
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 15, 2018 02:26PM
"‘Piercingly funny’: Tom Wolfe’s years as a Washington Post reporter"

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018