advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rerouting Ants?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 15, 2018 01:16PM
there's a continuous line of small ants (not fire ants) caravanning a stoop in my carport where my son likes to sit and contemplate life. he finds them annoying and wants them destroyed. i've pointed out that they are thankfully outside and outnumber us by the billions. i've tried a simple spray on the steps but it merely detours them slightly.

any ideas on how i might reroute them to take a different path to wherever they are going in the back yard? using the other, people-less side of the house would be fine by me.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 01:16PM by graylocks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rerouting Ants?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 15, 2018 01:20PM
Ants will always find the shortest most efficient path. Unfortunately your son will have to deal with that evolutionary feature, unless you can provide a more direct route for them.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2018 01:25PM
Magnifying glass ?
Shoes ?
Seriously if he is responsible for slaughtering them personally, he may tire of the exercise and learn to live with them.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2018 01:37PM
....it is easier to reroute Uncles......a box of donuts.....

....they make that ant chaulk......which my parents used to use.....not sure how safe it is but you use it to draw around the stoop route and they ants will walk around it.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 15, 2018 01:40PM
Duh..put up signs.
Date: May 15, 2018 01:43PM
....never mind.....apparently that Chinese ant chalk is no longer legal in U.S. and toxic.....

Posted by: steve...
Date: May 15, 2018 01:51PM
I use Terro Liquid Ant Baits and would put one on their path where they are coming from.

It's takes a couple of days and is not permanent but they generally work well. From what I understand, they take the poison back to their nest

Northern California Coast
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 15, 2018 01:56PM
Check out Diatomaceous Earth.

[www.diatomaceousearth.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 15, 2018 02:04PM
Terro with boric acid is good. OR just buy boric acid, mix it with whatever food they like (usually it's sweet or protein), and put that on the path. Google "boric acid ants"
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 15, 2018 02:11PM
Vinegar or lemon juice will disrupt the scent trails. You'll probably have to keep doing that for a while to break their habit. Worth a try if you want to avoid lethal solutions.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 15, 2018 05:24PM
Boric acid (a powder) in a little honey works very well... like a Terro liquid, only a lot cheaper if you get the boric acid at the dollar store (labeled "and and roach killer") and have some honey around anyway.

They take it home, and feed it to their friends and family.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 15, 2018 05:28PM
....like a honey.....pot.....??

Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 15, 2018 05:38PM
Graylocks,

None of the solutions I've seen in the thread so far are permanent solutions. Temporary at best and I'm being kind. Want to get rid of the ants? You need to use the proper insecticidal sprays and baits.

[www.doyourownpestcontrol.com]

The above site is a great source of information as well as tools for dealing with pests.

Robert
Posted by: LyleH
Date: May 15, 2018 06:18PM
If you crush a couple between your fingers, and the resultant smell is similar to coconut, they are odorous ants. If so, that might help you in looking for a more permanent solution. LyleH
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 15, 2018 06:41PM
Acer
Vinegar or lemon juice will disrupt the scent trails. You'll probably have to keep doing that for a while to break their habit. Worth a try if you want to avoid lethal solutions.

This.

I use a barrier of cheap natural citrus cleaner. It works amazingly well to get the ants heading away from my home. In the past, I've also had success with vinegar and lemon juice.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 15, 2018 08:15PM
btfc
Check out Diatomaceous Earth.

[www.diatomaceousearth.com]

That's what I use. It works like a champ.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: May 16, 2018 02:36AM
Perhaps there's a lesson here for your son that involves adapting to nature rather than destroying it. "Contemplates life" and "Wants them destroyed" seem like inconguous aims. Tell you son to sit somewhere else until the ants go away. Maybe "somewhere else" is a chair a couple of feet from his usual spot, where the ants aren't going. Then he can include the ants in his contemplation of life.

The ants are gonna go where they're gonna go. You can aggravate yourself by trying to poison them and reroute them. It will be an ongoing struggle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 02:36AM by Uncle Wig.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: May 16, 2018 08:30AM
When our anthills seem to be getting larger and more intrusive near the house, I've just sprinkled 20 Mule Team Borax on the hills; it seems to discourage them from that location for quite a while. I've not tried diatomaceous earth, but it sounds like good stuff.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 16, 2018 09:23AM
A-Polly
When our anthills seem to be getting larger and more intrusive near the house, I've just sprinkled 20 Mule Team Borax on the hills; it seems to discourage them from that location for quite a while. I've not tried diatomaceous earth, but it sounds like good stuff.

I've used this, it is quite effective. I've had it kill lawn grass though.
I've used the Terro liquid on little ants. I've put drops out that dry up and they get a little bit. It takes a while this way.
Best luck I've had was accidentally; left the cap up on the bottle and about 500 found their way in and couldn't get back out. The effect was immediate. No more ants.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 16, 2018 11:31PM
I've found that sprinkling Cinnamon will divert ants.
[www.westernexterminator.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: May 17, 2018 06:32AM
....well.....ant that a shame....

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 17, 2018 10:41AM

for the more technical-minded
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015